Reasonably Priced London Hotels

Gorechick

DIS Veteran
Hi, I'm in the early stages of planning a future trip to London and Manchester and I'm overwhelmed with the London part. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a reasonably priced hotel in a convenient, safe area? Any info appreciated. Thanks!

Hard Rock London have some good offers at the moment. Also, for basic, but clean and good value, look at the Premier Inn chain. The Leicester Square one is a good location for the West End or there is one in Southwark (Bankside) which is great for Tower of London, walking the Thames etc.
https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/se...0&INTTYP1=DB&BOOKINGCHANNEL=WEB&SORT=1&VIEW=2Do you know what you want to do/see in London?https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/se...0&INTTYP1=DB&BOOKINGCHANNEL=WEB&SORT=1&VIEW=2

Yes, I second the premier inn and travelodge chains for basic/value but accountable.

If you give us a bit of an idea of what you're planning on doing then we can advise better with convenient area as there are lots of different areas that are local to certain attractions, nice cafes etc. Some people adore being in bloomsbury whilst others love the south bank.

Thanks to recommendations here we looked into Premier Inns. Checked rates at a few and ended up at the London Bank (Tower) location. It worked well for us, especially for the price.

Thank you for the replies so far. I have a few things I'd like to see, mostly touristy and artsy stuff- Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, Victoria and Albert Museum, Tate Gallery, and National Gallery. I'm afraid of heights so can't do the London eye. Open to suggestions.

Thank you for the replies so far. I have a few things I'd like to see, mostly touristy and artsy stuff- Buckingham Palace, Tower of London, Victoria and Albert Museum, Tate Gallery, and National Gallery. I'm afraid of heights so can't do the London eye. Open to suggestions.
From the Tower of London you can walk to Monument (Great Fire of London), Leadenhall Market or St Katherine’s Dock, then walk across Tower Bridge ( nice restaurants on Shad Thames), walk along south of the Thames to Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre, the Belfast, Borough market, the London Eye, Tate Modern, then cross back over the river to St Paul’s or Houses of Parliament. It’s a really pleasant wander.
This may give you some ideas. https://www.walkingclub.org.uk/walk/london-bridge-to-greenwich-via-the-south-bank/

It’s also fun to explore the Inns of Court and you can go into the public galleries in any of the courts of the Old Bailey, if that interests you and then walk to Covent Garden and the West End. There are signs everywhere with maps and walking distances/times and use buses rather than the underground to see more of London. There are also hop on hop off tourist buses. London also has beautiful parks, Hyde Park, Regents Park etc.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for more great suggestions! Please keep them coming. Looks like I'll have a long time to plan as this summer probably won't happen.

There are a couple of premier inns on south bank near county hall which might suit you well if you like to walk. You can stroll along the river to the Tate modern and further to the walk described above or cross the river to see the houses of parliament (and go in if they're sitting and you like watching a near empty room of MPs saying nothing using lots of words. The ceilings are pretty though).

Also across Westminster bridge you can walk through St James' park, say hi to the pelicans and see Buckingham Palace. From there you can carry on through Green Park to Piccadilly with lots of restaurants including things like afternoon tea at the Ritz or the food hall at fortnum and masons. Or alternatively you can swing right after the bridge and walk up Whitehall to Trafalgar Square and the galleries there. There was a refurbishment due of the National Gallery but I don't know how covid has affected that. National Portrait Gallery is also there though if the National Gallery is closed.

You can't go wrong though wherever you stay centrally. There are groups of restaurants in a lot of different epicentres and the transport is so easy. There are very few places centrally where it's unsafe after dark. Even Kings Cross has scrubbed up nicely.

If you like art I would really recommend you trying a few of these places. There is the Queens Gallery at Buckingham palace - mainly old masters, Tate Britain - has a lovely exhibition of pretty much every 8 year old in London from photos taken in 2019 but I guess that won't still be there when you come. The John Somes Museum is as if someone tried to cram as much of the V&A as possible into one tall thin house. I love it. I also love the Wallace Collection north of Oxford Circus if you like your art with a few suits of armour and triptychs. The Royal Academy of the Arts has some great temporary exhibitions and is on Piccadilly, so pretty handy. I would recommend seeing what temporary exhibitions will be on in London in general when you come. Check as soon as you book your flights as they get advertised and sell out well in advance. I have already bought tickets for an immersive Van Gogh event in 2022.

Tate Gallery.

If you are afraid of heights, some people get scared of the inside of the Tate Gallery.
A friend of mine couldn't go up the moving walkways and had to stay at the bottom of the Gallery.

Tate Gallery.

If you are afraid of heights, some people get scared of the inside of the Tate Gallery.
A friend of mine couldn't go up the moving walkways and had to stay at the bottom of the Gallery.
Ooh, thank you for letting me know. Do you happen to know if there are other ways to go up (like elevators?)

I like the V&A and the British museum. If you are up for a train ride, Hampton Court is overlooked, and Bletchley Park is a train ride away. The Churchill War rooms are incredible - but can get busy and cramped and will probably be one of the last things to reopen. Greenwich is a short ride on a ferry - and a long walk uphill to get to the observatory. The National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery are both excellent. The Museum of London is also overlooked, and very good. If you time your trip right, Buckingham Palace is open to the public in the Fall when the Queen is away (order tickets in advance). (American, but prior to Covid and annual London visitor due to a conference my husband speaks at).

Just a gentle nudge.... it is best not to use the word ‘handicapped’ in the U.K., as it is deemed offensive. You won’t see any public service references to it. We use people with disabilities.
If you think about it the term "disabilities" itself is offensive.

Can I just add , I am also scared of heights and have managed the London eye.

It was booked for me I was in London on a hen/ batchelorette party. I was really worried and had planned to skip it out.

The pods are really way bigger than I expected and feel very stable. I sat on the big bench in the centre of the pod and just looked out towards the horizon rather than down. From the bench I was a good few metres away from the windows.

For comparison my first ride on Soarin I cried, I'm absolutely terrified on it and will never ride it again.And I can't walk round the Swiss tree house either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!