Reading Posts With A Grain of Salt?

Do you believe everything you read?

• I give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

• I don't believe everything, but I don't really say anything.

• When I think someone is full of it I say so.

• Pretty much everyone is lying.

Results are only viewable after voting.

auntpolly

DIS Veteran
Thought for the day - Take posts with a grain of salt! Except for mine! ;)

For my recent WDW trip I was reading the trip planning board a lot and you know, there are all those posts about rudeness from other guests and CMs and stuff like that. There's one about people mowing down a little handicapped boy to get into an attraction (which may have happened; don't get me wrong.) All the boards have emotional stories that people have posted of wrongs done to them.

1) People exagerate all the time (except for me :rolleyes1 )
2) You're hearing one side of the story.

Here's the question: Let's say someone is posting about their divorce and what an SOB their husband is and everyone piles on the pixie dust and the "kick him to the curb", but the DW is leaving a few *minor* details about her part in it.

Or let's say someone has had a bad experience with a rude CM, but leaves out the part where there were *cough* not so nice themselves.

How careful are you to see things with a grain of salt; or is it more important to just comfort the person?

auntpolly said:
How careful are you to see things with a grain of salt; or is it more important to just comfort the person?
take most sposte here with that especially around holiday like Mothers day

I go by the old adage: There are three sides to every story--yours, theirs and the truth.

However, I find when I "know" a particular poster, I see things differently than when it's someone whose posting personality I haven't gotten to know.

You can see a pattern to certain poster's discussions. For example, some folks come across as chronic complainers; others seem wishy-washy, some seem very aggressive, etc.

My point is that I read the posts of those I "know" differently. I may or may not take those with a grain of salt.

JerseyJanice said:
I go by the old adage: There are three sides to every story--yours, theirs and the truth.

However, I find when I "know" a particular poster, I see things differently than when it's someone whose posting personality I haven't gotten to know.

You can see a pattern to certain poster's discussions. For example, some folks come across as chronic complainers; others seem wishy-washy, some seem very aggressive, etc.

My point is that I read the posts of those I "know" differently. I may or may not take those with a grain of salt.

What she said. :)

I don't believe absolutely everything, but when I have doubts, I don't respond to that particular post.

With some posts, I need a salt lick.

Bob Slydell said:
I just assume everyone's full of crap -- it makes life easier. :teeth: :teeth:

You and I must be the 2 that voted that way!!!! Aahhhhh, a kindred, distrustful spirit! Right here in OH, too!

Most of the time I give people the benefit of the doubt--if they think it happened, then maybe it did. About the only time I get irked is when i see "medical" information that is obviously wrong or mis-leading. Then I feel the need to step in and correct the information. Having been a nurse for 28yrs, it's an old habit, and one that I'm sure not everyone appreciates,haha. So if i have stepped on some toes--sorry! Give an old lady a second chance!

I have a hunch that most of these posters are teenagers and trolls making stuff up to get people's goats. I try to keep mine in their pen. pirate:

I agree with believing more if I know the poster involved. For most complaining posts I read them but don't respond. A few I feel strongly enough to respond to both when I agree and when I don't.

I think many people set themselves up for a let down by believing everything they read and letting an internet board make their decisions for them.

You especially have to take with a grain of salt all of the complaints about this and that on the Trip Boards. If you don't, you'll be scared to breathe on your next trip for fear of offending someone.

Aidensmom said:
You especially have to take with a grain of salt all of the complaints about this and that on the Trip Boards. If you don't, you'll be scared to breathe on your next trip for fear of offending someone.

That is so true!

I tend to take everything with a grain of salt. Sometimes I keep my mouth shut, but when someone asks for advice and is only getting one viewpoint, I speak up. I didn't vote, because I don't keep silent, but I don't think I tell people they're full it either.

Bob Slydell said:
I just assume everyone's full of crap -- it makes life easier. :teeth: :teeth:

There was a thread recently about whether or not you really "LOL". Well...I just did. :rotfl:

I don't believe it all, but if someone feels that making up fake stories and posting them on the net is the way to make themselves feel better, they have enough problems without me saying so.

I've only called people out a few times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!