Reading Posts With A Grain of Salt?

Do you believe everything you read?

• I give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

• I don't believe everything, but I don't really say anything.

• When I think someone is full of it I say so.

• Pretty much everyone is lying.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I do the same. Sometimes it's hard to keep your opinion to yourself.

Honestly, I think everyone is pretty much full of it, but I say that in the most, uh, loving way possible. We were just talking about how everyone we know tells their own version of things - it's kind of normal.

If it's someone blowing off steam, I say let them blow. What can it hurt? Sometimes it feels better to complain. But for the more serious stuff, I think the PD and the :grouphug: s are piled on a little too thick sometimes. Are you really doing the person a favor taking their side in a dispute with a teacher, a spouse, or a relative, hearing only their side of the story? I think it could do a lot of damage, actually. Even the nicest person on the DIS can exagerate and tell a twisted version of a story if they are upset enough.

And people who try to throw a little reality into the thread get branded "meanies".

Do we really want to hear the truth when we post a problem or not?

WDWLVR said:
I agree with believing more if I know the poster involved. For most complaining posts I read them but don't respond. A few I feel strongly enough to respond to both when I agree and when I don't.

I think many people set themselves up for a let down by believing everything they read and letting an internet board make their decisions for them.

This is so true. I use the Dis as a passtime and I enjoy all the different topics. Some I do not open if Im not interested and some I read and do not respond and then some I do respond. What I do not understand is why all the hostility? If you do not agree that is fine but why berate someone you really do not know? I have seen posts about peoples pics in their sig including mine and making fun of or condeming the poster for having it. All I can say is: Are you really that miserable? Do you really not have a life outside of the internet?

I didn't vote because I don't think any one choice really fits me. There are subjects that I know quite a bit about. If, in reading a thread, I come across a post that I am certain contains incorrect information, I'll respond with more accurate info. It doesn't make sense for everyone to be going on and on about something that is wrong or false. Occasionally, I've gotten a less than positive response to my input but overall I think folks appreciate the info.

If I find a thread that is totally off-base but I can just tell from the tone of those posting that a differing view really wouldn't be appreciated, I just stay out of it and move on.

I think some people here will sometimes raise a controversial topic in order to have an intelligent discussion and welcome various viewpoints. I really enjoy those threads. Others will raise such a topic just to push their own opinion and really don't want to hear from anyone who doesn't agree with them.

Do I think we sometimes only get one side of the story? Of course. Do I think people sometimes exaggerate to make their point? Absolutely. But I don't think that makes things any less enjoyable around here.

auntpolly said:
Honestly, I think everyone is pretty much full of it, but I say that in the most, uh, loving way possible. We were just talking about how everyone we know tells their own version of things - it's kind of normal.

If it's someone blowing off steam, I say let them blow. What can it hurt? Sometimes it feels better to complain. But for the more serious stuff, I think the PD and the :grouphug: s are piled on a little too thick sometimes. Are you really doing the person a favor taking their side in a dispute with a teacher, a spouse, or a relative, hearing only their side of the story? I think it could do a lot of damage, actually. Even the nicest person on the DIS can exagerate and tell a twisted version of a story if they are upset enough.

And people who try to throw a little reality into the thread get branded "meanies".

Do we really want to hear the truth when we post a problem or not?

I completely agree with you. I enjoy the DIS because I love to discuss things. I am a very blunt person, I am going to tell you what I really think, and it does not offend me if someone thinks the opposite, I think it just makes for a good discussion.

I do sometimes think that people post something just to hear everyone agree with them though, and I am sure I have been branded a "meany" when I say I don't (which honestly doesn't bother me in the least).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter