Reading Challenge/Goals for 2023--2024 link added

A couple of the books were audio. I’m also single, with no kids. Currently still working from home and made the decision to get War and Peace out of the way, so have a fair amount of tv to catch up on.
WOW! I'm super impressed. I enjoyed your January book list - varied and interesting. I like what you've done, reading different genres and dipping into memoirs, short stories, and even poetry. A nice reminder for me to try to add some variation to my own reading this year. I've never tried an audiobook, but that could be interesting. As for War and Peace, I don't know if I'll ever be up for the challenge. You rated it 3.75, so you didn't love it. In the end, did you feel it was worth your effort? I feel like I could re-read the entire Harry Potter series or all of Jane Austen in the time that it would take me to read War and Peace.

On a side note - I hope your TV catch up includes the new HBO series The Last of Us, starring the fabulous Pedro Pascal!

#1/50 Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse
Written entirely in free prose, I could have read this in one sitting if I had a free day.
A story of 14 year old Billie Jo growing up in the Oklahoma dust bowl in the early '30s.
Failing wheat crops, never ending dust storms & rain that barely ever comes. A bleak story but one I could not put down. Supposed to be for early teen readers. I really liked it. Planning to check out more of this author's work.
I put a hold on this as soon as I read your report. I finished it yesterday. The story really made me understand more what it was like to live there through those years.

4/75

Last edited:
3/26

"Vacationland" by Meg Mitchell Moore. I really liked it 4/5 stars.

From the Library's website:

Summary:"As sophisticated and delicious as lobster bisque." — Amanda Eyre Ward, New York Times bestselling author of The Lifeguards and The Jetsetters Louisa has come to her parents' house in Maine this summer with all three of her kids, a barely-written book, and a trunkful of resentment. Left behind in Brooklyn is her husband, who has promised that after this final round of fundraising at his startup he will once again pick up his share of the household responsibilities. Louisa is hoping that the crisp breeze off Penobscot Bay will blow away the irritation she is feeling with her life choices and replace it with enthusiasm for both her family and her work. But all isn't well in Maine. Louisa's father, a retired judge and pillar of the community, is suffering from Alzheimer's. Louisa's mother is alternately pretending everything is fine and not pretending at all. And one of Louisa's children happens upon a very confusing and heartfelt letter referring to something Louisa doesn't think her father could possibly have done. Louisa's not the only one searching for something in Maine this summer. Kristie took the Greyhound bus from Pennsylvania with one small suitcase, $761, and a lot of baggage. She's got a past she's trying to outrun, a secret she's trying to unpack, and a new boyfriend who's so impossibly kind she can't figure out what she did to deserve him. But she can't keep her various lives from colliding forever. As June turns to July turns to August, secrets will be unearthed, betrayals will come to light, and both Louisa and Kristie will ask themselves what they are owed and what they owe others. A delicious summer read and an exploration of family, responsibility, ambition and loss, Vacationland is Meg Mitchell Moore at her best.
Just put a hold on this one!

January

#1/40: Desert Star (Ballard and Bosch) by Michael Connelly (4/5) (crime)

A year after quitting the force, the chief of police convinces Renee to rejoin the force to lead the cold case unit of the Robbery Homicide division. She invites Bosch to come work as a volunteer investigator in her unit, promising him that he can use their resources to help solve a case that has haunted him for years. But when she discovers information that ties her priority case to another, it appears that there was a serial killer, and she now needs Bosch’s help.

#2/40: An Unwilling Accomplice (Bess Crawford # 6) by Charles Todd (4/5) (historical fiction/mystery)

Bess is asked to accompany a soldier to Buckingham Palace to be decorated by the King. But he disappears, and Bess is held responsible. Matters become worse when he is accused of murdering a man. Bess now must find him to clear her name.

#3/40: Out of Range (Joe Pickett # 5) by C. J. Box (4/5) (mystery)

When Joe’s friend and fellow warden is found dead from an apparent suicide, Joe is sent to take over his district. But things are not as they seem, and Joe’s investigation of what really happened could lead to his own demise.

#4/90: The Address by by Fiona Davis (3/5) (romantic historical fiction)

1884: Sara Smythe has just been given the chance of a lifetime: the opportunity to leave England and be the manager of the newly built Dakota, and work closely with Theodore Camden, the young architect who designed the building.

!985: Bailey Camden is fresh out of rehab and looking to get her life back together. Granddaughter of Theo Camden’s ward, she has no claim on the family fortune, but remains close to one heir, Melinda, who offers Bailey the opportunity to redo the elegant apartment in the Dakota where Theo was murdered by a former employee - Sara Smythe. But Bailey discovers secrets that change everything that was once considered fact.

#5/40: In Plain Sight (Joe Pickett #6) by C. J. Box (4/5) (mystery)

A local ranch owner has disappeared under suspicious circumstances, and Joe suspects one of her sons is responsible. But a series of escalating violent pranks makes Joe consider that this is not so much based on his investigation, but darkness from his own past.

I put a hold on this as soon as I read your report. I finished it yesterday. The story really made me understand more what it was like to live there through those years.

4/75
This one is a kids book, so you will fly through it. If you like it and want to read more about the dust bowl, you should read Kristin Hannah's "The Four Winds"

2. The Keepers of Metsan Valo by Wendy Webb this the second book I have read by this author. I was a bit disappointed. I was looking for a gothic supernatural novel and found a story more about being tied to a family home with a heaping dose of hokieness. Not what I was looking for.

#3/24 - The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell by Robert Dugoni
3.5 ⭐⭐⭐️ out of 5.
This is an intense story that includes discrimination, bullying, abuse, rejection, loss, infidelity. It also showcases loyalty, strength of character, friendship, faith and love. Sam's story is worth reading.

#4/24 - The Paper Palace by Miranda Cowley Heller
4 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
This book kept me engaged. Good character development. The end leaves you wondering what really happens. Overall a strong book about the choices we make in life, love, and family and how they shape the rest of our future.

3/30- Spare by Prince Harry- I thought this book was well written, it was a very interesting read. I do have quite a bit of empathy towards him, especially when it comes to the paparazzi. I wouldn't wish that nightmare on anyone. I hope he finds peace over here with his family.

4/30- Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King- I was hesitant to jump back into reading his books. As I stated previously, I read quite a few of them in high school-Carrie, Pet Semetary, It, etc. I'm just not able to handle some of the gore as I've gotten older. I did read Elevation last year as it was quite short and I was trying to complete my reading goal, lol. Unfortunately I thought that book was ridiculous, did not like it. Anyway, this one was better. It kept me engaged and wasn't too gory for me. The characters were all over the place though, plot was was unbelievable to me. The beginning of the book had me going-"What the heck?" I'm not sure I will read any more of the trilogy although it does make me curious about the tv series. I love Brendan Gleeson so maybe I'll check that out.

I think I'm going to reread the Harry Potter books again, my husband are hoping to get over to London in June. This was a postponed trip from 2020. I can't wait!

2/30 - Dawn's Light by Terri Blackstock
I read this series a few years ago & enjoyed it.
Alice Hoffman -
The rest of her stuff - hard pass (for me).
I read Blackbird House last year & thought it was just ok. Thought I had read more of her books looking at a list of her books, nothing else sounds familiar.
My #4 for the year:

James Lee Burke "Every Cloak Rolled in Blood" (a Holland Family novel)
Wow, wow, wow.

James Lee Burke is one of the best writers in America today. His prose is lyrical. So much so that I feel myself sinking into his books the minute I start reading. His settings are so well drawn that they become characters in themselves. His various book series are different and interesting. His books are crime / good vs. evil.
Will have to check this author out.
#3/24 - The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell by Robert Dugoni
3.5 ⭐⭐⭐️ out of 5.
This is an intense story that includes discrimination, bullying, abuse, rejection, loss, infidelity. It also showcases loyalty, strength of character, friendship, faith and love. Sam's story is worth reading.
I agree, this was a good one. I love Robert Dugoni's "Tracy Crosswhite" series, it is one of my favorites.

#7/50 Wish on a Unicorn by Karen Hesse
Mags doesn't believe in making wishes. What's the point? If wishes came true, she wouldn't live in a trailer and she wouldn't have to wear ratty clothes to school. But then her sister Hannie finds an old stuffed unicorn, and suddenly Mags' luck starts to change. Mags knows the unicorn can't really be magical, but what's the harm in letting Hannie believe that it is?
Ok, so this is a child's book & reads like a child's book, lol. I am looking for a book about unicorns for my 9 year old granddaughter who is obsessed with unicorns & when I saw it at my library thought I would give it a try. Not really what I was looking for so will pass on purchasing a copy.
#8/50 The Personal Assistant by Kimberly Belle
Ok, but predictable. Typical revenge story of a media "influencer" who hires a personal assistant. The assistant posts a damaging post (under guise of the influencer) about teenage media personality & then of course everything "hits the fan" Assistant disappears & keeps up a barrage of troll posts on the influencer's media platforms & also posts doctored up pictures of the influencer's family.
Was just ok.

2/20 for me for 2023. I set a goal last year of 20 - almost made it; 19/20 and I was 1/3 through #20.
#1 - Neal Shusterman, "Game Changer" (4/5)
#2 - Nicholas Sparks, "Dreamland" (5/5)
Welcome! Added you to our group list on page 1 where I try to keep up with our counts, lol

Ok, so this is a child's book & reads like a child's book, lol. I am looking for a book about unicorns for my 9 year old granddaughter who is obsessed with unicorns & when I saw it at my library thought I would give it a try. Not really what I was looking for so will pass on purchasing a copy.

I'm a school librarian and my kids love a series called "The Unicorn Diaries". If your Granddaughter is a really good reader, they might be a little easy for her, but they are cute.

I'm a school librarian and my kids love a series called "The Unicorn Diaries". If your Granddaughter is a really good reader, they might be a little easy for her, but they are cute.
Ohhhh thanks! I will have to check those out. All thru the year I buy little (or large) unique unicorn items for her & save them up til her birthday & give them to her all at once. I think a unicorn book would be a nice addition.

5/75
Read Louise Penny’s A world of Curiosities today. Couldn’t put it down, just had to finish it!

Copied from Louise Penny web page
It’s spring and Three Pines is reemerging after the harsh winter. But not everything buried should come alive again. Not everything lying dormant should reemerge.

But something has.

As the villagers prepare for a special celebration, Armand Gamache and Jean-Guy Beauvoir find themselves increasingly worried. A young man and woman have reappeared in the Sûreté du Québec investigators’ lives after many years. The two were young children when their troubled mother was murdered, leaving them damaged, shattered. Now they’ve arrived in the village of Three Pines.

But to what end?

Gamache and Beauvoir’s memories of that tragic case, the one that first brought them together, come rushing back. Did their mother’s murder hurt them beyond repair? Have those terrible wounds, buried for decades, festered and are now about to erupt?

As Chief Inspector Gamache works to uncover answers, his alarm grows when a letter written by a long dead stone mason is discovered. In it the man describes his terror when bricking up an attic room somewhere in the village. Every word of the 160-year-old letter is filled with dread. When the room is found, the villagers decide to open it up.

As the bricks are removed, Gamache, Beauvoir and the villagers discover a world of curiosities. But the head of homicide soon realizes there’s more in that room than meets the eye. There are puzzles within puzzles, and hidden messages warning of mayhem and revenge.

In unsealing that room, an old enemy is released into their world. Into their lives. And into the very heart of Armand Gamache’s home.

5/75
Read Louise Penny’s A world of Curiosities today. Couldn’t put it down, just had to finish it!

Copied from Louise Penny web page
It’s spring and Three Pines is reemerging after the harsh winter. But not everything buried should come alive again. Not everything lying dormant should reemerge.

But something has.

As the villagers prepare for a special celebration, Armand Gamache and Jean-Guy Beauvoir find themselves increasingly worried. A young man and woman have reappeared in the Sûreté du Québec investigators’ lives after many years. The two were young children when their troubled mother was murdered, leaving them damaged, shattered. Now they’ve arrived in the village of Three Pines.

But to what end?

Gamache and Beauvoir’s memories of that tragic case, the one that first brought them together, come rushing back. Did their mother’s murder hurt them beyond repair? Have those terrible wounds, buried for decades, festered and are now about to erupt?

As Chief Inspector Gamache works to uncover answers, his alarm grows when a letter written by a long dead stone mason is discovered. In it the man describes his terror when bricking up an attic room somewhere in the village. Every word of the 160-year-old letter is filled with dread. When the room is found, the villagers decide to open it up.

As the bricks are removed, Gamache, Beauvoir and the villagers discover a world of curiosities. But the head of homicide soon realizes there’s more in that room than meets the eye. There are puzzles within puzzles, and hidden messages warning of mayhem and revenge.

In unsealing that room, an old enemy is released into their world. Into their lives. And into the very heart of Armand Gamache’s home.
Loved it(and all her others) as well!

#6-Cradles of the Reich, Jennifer Coburn, 4 1/2 stars. A very interesting story of 3 different people involved in a home in Germany during WWII having babies "for the Reich"-blond, blue-eyed babies. What no one knew was that one of the pregnancies was the product of a love affair with a Jew. Although the book was interesting, the ending was a little anti-climactic and fast.

1/32 - If Only in My Dreams by Michelle Dykman
Returning POW suffering from ptsd is reunited with his high school love interest. The ptsd episodes were heartbreaking. After much struggle there is a Christmas HEA for this couple.

2/32 - Peg and Rose Solve a Murder by Laurien Berenson.
Spin off from another cozy mystery series which I didn’t read. Older sister in laws with a strained past unite to solve a murder in their bridge club. Lots of suspects and lots of Peg’s poodles. The details of playing bridge bored me and I didn’t figure out the suspect to the end. It was ok.

3/32 - The Inn at Cranberry Cove by June Foster
Young unemployed accountant inherits her aunts B&B in Washington state. There is a legend of hidden gems at the Inn. Part time gardener and local cranberry company executive is attracted to his new boss at the Inn. He is also dealing with a deceased wife and son and horrible cousin.
Many dangerous events take place when unknown persons hunt for the gems.
Good ending.

4/32 - Deer Eyes by Sherri Stewart
Law student flees from former law school friend to Maine as he begins to stalk her. She is befriended by the local single school principal. Many strange stalking incidents take place. When the police finally believe the evidence the couple are both in danger. Good ending.

5/32 - A Christmas Haven by Cindy Woodsmall and Erin Woodsmall
Many characters in this book from 2 different Amish communities. One is super strict. Brother helps pregnant sister get medical help. They are befriended by another less strict Amish family. Lots of drama. Decisions being made by family members affecting their futures. Good epilogue and HEA with a Christmas setting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter