Reading challenge 2021

I usually read between two and three books a week so I will aim for 104. I just read Ruth Ware's One by One and enjoyed it very much. My favorite of hers is The Woman in Cabin 10.

Last edited:
It’s been a few years since I participated in one of these threads. The last time, I got so many great recommendations. I’m going to give myself a low number and hopefully exceed it so I’ll say 25.

im currently reading Hillbilly Elegy. I always try to read a book before I watch the movie.

It’s been a few years since I participated in one of these threads. The last time, I got so many great recommendations. I’m going to give myself a low number and hopefully exceed it so I’ll say 25.

im currently reading Hillbilly Elegy. I always try to read a book before I watch the movie.

I feel like I'm revealing too much by saying this, perhaps, but oh well. Ha! My last name is Egley. Every time I see this book title, I do a double take, thinking it's my last name. I have to think about it to see it as the word "elegy" and not a misspelling of my last name. And it took me entirely too long to type elegy. Ha! XD

I did not read the book (didn't know there was one before I watched the movie) but the I enjoyed the movie!!

MJ

I love to read but tend to do most of my reading when I have breaks from teaching, which is January and then mid-May to August. I plan to start off with the new Ruth Ware book, One by One, and then have 4 library books to read before the semester starts. One is non-fiction and the others are fiction. Looking for some recommendations. (Still waiting for the next Outlander book and not holding by breath that Martin will drop Winds of Winter in 2021).
Another teacher here! High school English--living my dream!

Yes! I am dedicating the majority of books this year to all the King Books I have not read yet...starting with The Long Walk.

I want to up my goal to 50 books this year from 40. Feeling optimistic.

MJ
I've been reading a lot of King lately too. Drwitz is re-reading King in order from first published.

I read the Long Walk last year and loved it. I also finally read the Stand and the Shining. I'm in the middle of the Dark Tower series now.

I'm happy to be joining this group for 2021. I started in March or April of last year with a goal of 30 books. I'm going to go big this year with 50!

Love this group!

Yes! I am dedicating the majority of books this year to all the King Books I have not read yet...starting with The Long Walk.

I want to up my goal to 50 books this year from 40. Feeling optimistic.

MJ

OMG you are going to love The Long Walk. I wish I could read it again for the first time. It’s my favourite piece by him and I would love to see it as a movie, but there’s no way to do it justice. I can’t wait to see your thoughts on it.

I've been reading a lot of King lately too. Drwitz is re-reading King in order from first published.

I read the Long Walk last year and loved it. I also finally read the Stand and the Shining. I'm in the middle of the Dark Tower series now.

The Dark Tower is amazing from start to finish. What book are you on now?

I have read a lot of his ever since I was young starting with Carrie and I just reread that last month. I just looked up all his books and can't believe the ones I have not read....the two you mentioned and so many more!!!

Going to start the Long Walk Tonight. So far my favorite book of his has been The Stand.

MJ

I am in for another year. My goal for 2021 will be two books a week for a total of 104.

The best thing about the challenge is not the number of books I read because I would probably being reading them anyway but the amazing books I have been lead to by the reviews of the other people on the thread.

The Stand is one of my favorite books of all time. I know CBS just did a new miniseries of it, but I don’t think I’ll watch it because I’ll just be disappointed.

1/100 The Winthrop Woman by Anya Seton

I have read some others of her books and enjoyed this one very much. It takes place during the early European settlements of Massachusetts. I like how Seton takes minor historical figures and wraps a story around them. 4/5

If you need a resource for King books in publication order (as well as a synopsis, some historical facts about the writing of each, and a review or two), check out Richard Chizmar's Stephen King revisited page. I have been using this as my official read-through page.

I am rereading in publication order, not in written order (since some of his books were published long after the original writing date). I started with Carrie (1974) and last year worked my way up to Nightmares and Dreamscapes (1993). Took a little side trek through some other pieces, but I will return to it this year. I do own all of these, either in paperback or hardcover, and wanted to reread through them for a while. The pandemic (and the closing of my local library) made this possible...

I posted my reviews and brief intro synopses of each on last year's reading post (see my signature below for the link), so if anyone is interested in doing this with me, feel free and let me know!!

For those that can read 50 to 100 books a year, what are some tips you think would help someone that isn't a fast or immersed in a book for hours reader like me? How many hours typically do you read a day? Are you really fast readers, skimming readers or soak it up plus read quickly, or just dedicate a lot of daily time to reading?

I'd like to improve, but I don't usually like to sit and read a book that long in one sitting. I think I do read a lot elsewhere besides whatever book I'm currently in, I'll read articles on multiple topics online/PDFs of information, etc.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Song of Susannah. That leaves just The Dark Tower. I think my favorite of the series so far was Wolves of the Calla. I know there are some others that are not officially part of the series like Wind through the Keyhole that I'll try after I finish the series.

The Stand is one of my favorite books of all time. I know CBS just did a new miniseries of it, but I don’t think I’ll watch it because I’ll just be disappointed.
I don't have the pay CBS channel it's on but they let you watch the first episode on Amazon Prime. It's just such a sprawling story that I don't see how they do it justice. I actually think most King books don't translate well into movies. The exceptions being Stand By Me (The Body), Shawshank Redemption, and IT part 1 (with the kids). The Shining is a good movie on its own but not a good adaptation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter