Reaction to Vault Disney

Sarangel

<font color=red><font color=navy>Rumor has it ...<
The Orlando Sentinel has an Article about fan reaction to the cancellation of Vault Disney. According to the article, Disney is more interested in its 12 to 17 year old Market than the older generations. It does note that Disney's Cable channel is making money (as opposed to ABC).

Sarangel

From the Sentinel Article...
Disney is, in fact, under heavy pressure from rivals such as Viacom Inc., Nickelodeon and AOL Time Warner's Cartoon Network to ensure that its programs stay current

Hmmmm...a good start might be to actually look at Nickelodeon's Schedule?

At 10:00PM Nick switches over to 2 episodes of Cosby Show, followed by 2 episodes of Cheers every night. Then they fill in the remaining hours till 6:00AM with a mix of Family Ties, Threes Company, more Cosby and Cheers, All in The Family, Charles in Charge.

In the other Vault thread AV said Disney Channel is
trounced by Nick in normal viewing hours (both Nick and Cartoon trounce The Disney Channel in every category)
. And notice you don't see Nick pushing re-runs of "SpongeBob" and "Bob the Builder" at 2:00AM. Nope, instead they kick over to shows with a 30 something/baby boomer appeal.

So, as far as dropping Vault Disney in exchange for late night re-runs of "The Famous Jet Jackson"...I still don't get it. As a Disney fan, I really hope this "consistent 24 hour lineup" thing works out for em...personally though, when I'm up, I'll be watching Cosby and Cheers.

I read a bunch of the posts on an earlier thread similar to this one. What puzzled me most were comments to the affect: "even though I'm not up in the middle of the night to watch it, I can't understand why they eliminated it". If the people that love the old stuff aren't even watching it,why all the fuss over discontinueing it !?!?! Sometimes I get the feeling people on this board want to be arbitrary to every decision Disney makes.

IMHO, it's not Disneys #1 priority to "hook" me or people in my peer group-they already have us. They have to "hook" the next generation and they're not going to do that showing 40 year old reruns of "Zorro". My kids will never feel the emotions I have watching old Davey Crockett shows just as the Simpson's will never mean anything to me.

I read a bunch of the posts on an earlier thread similar to this one. What puzzled me most were comments to the affect: "even though I'm not up in the middle of the night to watch it, I can't understand why they eliminated it". If the people that love the old stuff aren't even watching it,why all the fuss over discontinueing it !?!?!

'Cos they're taping it...

'Cos they're taping it...
Exactly... (And, I do occasionally find myself up during these odd hours.)

...have to "hook" the next generation and they're not going to do that showing 40 year old reruns of "Zorro". My kids will never feel the emotions I have watching old Davey Crockett shows just as the Simpson's will never mean anything to me.
But are your kids EVER up watching TV after Midnight on school nights? But there are adults who keep different hours for a variety of reasons...

Disney is already trying to hook our kids during hours when our kids are awake, and that's fine. But if the kids aren't up, what good is it going to do to put kid's shows on?

So they will not get any kids during these hours, since they are asleep. And, they will lose the adult viewers they did have. Geez, the adults will probably shift over to Nick for Cosby, Family Ties, etc...

It just doesn't make sense.

Well,since ABC is in the toilet & Dis channel made 250mil, then maybe they should stick the old reruns on ABC.

If you consider how much advertising Disney does to try to get the "Baby Boomers" to relive their youth at DW and WDW, it seems strange that they would eliminate the late-night programming geared to this demographic.

But are your kids EVER up watching TV after Midnight on school nights? But there are adults who keep different hours for a variety of reasons...
Yup.

So they will not get any kids during these hours, since they are asleep. And, they will lose the adult viewers they did have. Geez, the adults will probably shift over to Nick for Cosby, Family Ties, etc...
Right again. And Nickelodeon doesn't seem to have a problem grasping the concept. SpongeBob is one of the highest rated shows on basic cable but, again, Nick doesn't try and re-run it to late night (though quite frankly they probly could if they wanted to cause it's a genuinely funny cartoon).

It just doesn't make sense.
That pretty much sums it up. I'm up pretty late a couple times a week and I liked the Vault. Still I wouldn't mind seeing it go if I could see some logic in it. But I don't.

AV?...are the television ratings broken out/published for the late night hours? Would be interesting to see what happens to the Disney Channel ratings for the 12:00AM to 6:00AM slot over the next couple of months. Also to see the Nickelodeon 12:00AM-6:00AM slots over the same period.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter