Rant: Kids Menu= Horrible Diet

Lol, get back to me when there is something your child really doesn't like. Or do you force her to eat everything. As a parent of many, I made my kids try stuff, but no one likes everything. I'll eat octopus, but glazed carrots make me want to gag, thanks to a stint in a daycare during college.

I've worked with thousands of kids in varying capacities. It is easy to sit back and judge. But not too smart in the grand scheme of life. No parent gets everything right.

So what is your job at this camp?

The Obvious:Everyone has something they don't like. I hate liver and anything Key Lime. My DH hates anything dairy other than melted cheese. Currently DD doesn't seem to like bananas all that much. Maybe that will change. The point is that we tried. Is it bad that I did? Highly doubtful

I was a group leader of 6-8th grade children. It's just something I do in the summer. The observation by many, not just me, was how many kids (increasingly through the age groups) refused to eat chicken or fish because either it wasn't fried or because it didn't look like what they had a home. I think it's a bit naive to think that people don't judge others. Is it right no but people do. The Obvious: No parent gets everything right. BUT clearly here in America we are doing something wrong when it comes to our childrens nutrition and diet.

My kids like some of the items on the kids' menu, and they also like some of the regular entrees. If you don't like the options on the kids' menu, don't order a kids meal. Nobody is forcing children to order from that. Even on the DDP, you still have the ability to order an adult meal for your child - you just have to pay OOP.

As for the DDP itself, again, it isn't for everyone. If a family has young children and they don't care for the choices on the kids' menu, then the DDP might not be a good option. Disney offers the DDP as a choice - it's not a requirement. Obviously it makes good business sense at this point in time to offer it the way it is.

So, what is your plan for when your child doesn't like something? What should those parents have done? Made their kids eat everything in front of them? Do you like every food that is out there?

While I think that people would be better off eating local and organic, I have also seen that people can survive on very little and very few options. Most diets were based on the local supply in history. Some groups of people eat only 2 or 3 items. I've seen kids raised on nuggets all the way to adults. Yes, they sadly miss out on many things I love, but they appeat to be healthy happy people. So your little camp outing gives you a snapshot of a handful of people. Next thing you are fussing about the options at a theme park where no one is required to eat.

Again, so what? There are plenty of meal choices out there....if a child has adult tastes, then order them an adult meal.

My father had one of the worst diets on the planet. Hated vegetables (and he was a farmer!), would only eat them drowned in cheese, butter or dressing. He liked meat, potatoes, and sweets. Loved fried food.

He lived to be 81.

:rotfl: Ah yes.... what we all thought before our children reached toddlerhood! :rotfl:

I'm still wondering how she is going to make the child eat everything. That is an eating disorder waiting to happen. A smart kid will learn real quick what makes mom crazy.

I would love to see restaurants just offer a kids/child size portion of their "normal' menu. This includes Disney and here at home. For me it's not about the $$ because at the end of the day If she wants an adult item she can have it.
This is a very common wish, but I think the pricing would be very disappointing. The cost of the ingredients for food doesn't drive the pricing as much as the cost of labor and the cost of customer acquisition, so figure that a half-portion of a $25.00 entree would cost $20.83. Many guests would love to save the $4.17, but so many more guests would hold umbrage against Disney for such an offering.

This is a very common wish, but I think the pricing would be very disappointing. The cost of the ingredients for food doesn't drive the pricing as much as the cost of labor and the cost of customer acquisition, so figure that a half-portion of a $25.00 entree would cost $20.83. Many guests would love to save the $4.17, but so many more guests would hold umbrage against Disney for such an offering.

That makes sense.

So, what is your plan for when your child doesn't like something? What should those parents have done? Made their kids eat everything in front of them? Do you like every food that is out there?

While I think that people would be better off eating local and organic, I have also seen that people can survive on very little and very few options. Most diets were based on the local supply in history. Some groups of people eat only 2 or 3 items. I've seen kids raised on nuggets all the way to adults. Yes, they sadly miss out on many things I love, but they appeat to be healthy happy people. So your little camp outing gives you a snapshot of a handful of people. Next thing you are fussing about the options at a theme park where no one is required to eat.

Indiana- Like I said there is a difference between a genuine dislike and stubborn kid. It's not about eating everything in front of you it's about trying items and I don't mean just once. I didn't like Salmon but eventually after multiple tries, I did. If my parents had stood by and made excuses for me I would never have known.
Indiana- Did I offend you in some way? I never blasted theme parks If you go back you will see I said kid menus in general. And it's not a little camp by any means. And I'm not fussing merely starting a conversation with other parents to see if they too think Kid Menus ACROSS THE BOARD lack nutrition and variety.

I guess I was raised differently and thus am raising my DD differently too.

Nope... not at all. My parents did not make excuses for me (or cook me a seperate dinner, etc etc), and I am the same with my child in every way possible. But in reality (as EVERY parent learns at some point) you have to choose your battles.

I actually agree with many of your points about kids with poor eating habits, parents making excuses, etc. However no one should speak to things with which they have no experience. And NO, working at a summer program with kids is not the same as raising a toddler on a THREE DAY hunger strike because you insist he must wear a bib to eat and he refuses to keep it on.

There's a reason they say not to judge til you walk a mile in someone's shoes. :)

Nope... not at all. My parents did not make excuses for me (or cook me a seperate dinner, etc etc), and I am the same with my child in every way possible. But in reality (as EVERY parent learns at some point) you have to choose your battles.

I actually agree with many of your points about kids with poor eating habits, parents making excuses, etc. However no one should speak to things with which they have no experience. And NO, working at a summer program with kids is not the same as raising a toddler on a THREE DAY hunger strike because you insist he must wear a bib to eat and he refuses to keep it on.

There's a reason they say not to judge til you walk a mile in someone's shoes. :)

No working with children isn't the same as living with them agreed but when you have a camp director who has been doing this for 50 years as well as teaching/ forming/ running an alternative program for teens in a school as well as a nutritionist, a nurse who is also a fire fighter and numerous other education/school affiliated people comment you stop and think. They are much more experienced than I and on average have 2-3 kids of their own ranging in ages from 5-26 yet we all noticed how diets of children have changed.

I agree though as parents it's about battles. Where you might say the bib has to be on I would be ok with the bib on the lap. Yes, parenting is all about which battle to choose.

Yes, parenting is all about which battle to choose.
:)

I would have been THRILLED with bib on the lap. The hysterics started when I took it out of the drawer. :rotfl: I finally lost that battle, but not the war. I reattacked it a few days later and have had three straight days of bib wearing. :banana:

And as I said - I definitely agree with you about many kids eating habits. My original post was meant in fun... it just struck me as so funny because I would have said the EXACT same thing a year ago. Now I know the reality of toddler life!!:scared1:

:)

I would have been THRILLED with bib on the lap. The hysterics started when I took it out of the drawer. :rotfl: I finally lost that battle, but not the war. I reattacked it a few days later and have had three straight days of bib wearing. :banana:

And as I said - I definitely agree with you about many kids eating habits. My original post was meant in fun... it just struck me as so funny because I would have said the EXACT same thing a year ago. Now I know the reality of toddler life!!:scared1:

Oh I know you were being funny!:lmao: I can't even imagine how DD will be in the future she is a riot right already! The banana face is HYSTERICAL! I mixed it with oatmeal one day to see if that would fly. She swallowed slowly and then looked at me with a VERY clear "i don't think so face."

After ten days of just eating at Disney, we were without a car so we ate every meal on property, my daughter told me that she didn't want to see grapes or carrot sticks as choices ever again. Chicken nuggets weren't high on her list either.

I just wish they'd add some more variety to the kid's menus.

After ten days of just eating at Disney, we were without a car so we ate every meal on property, my daughter told me that she didn't want to see grapes or carrot sticks as choices ever again. Chicken nuggets weren't high on her list either.

I just wish they'd add some more variety to the kid's menus.
Me too. DD is NOT a picky eater at all. From the time she was on table food ther have been no alternative meals in this house unless someone has an allergy (DH is allergic to shellfish). She eats a large variety of foods, and likes some "interesting" things. Most notably calamari and goat cheese. She HATES the Disney kids menus. She is not a chiken nugget and pizza kid. She doesn't eat a lot, and most of the time i end up supplementing her kids meal from my plate, or buying her an appitizer out of pocket to get her some "good food". For instance: Cosmic rays. There is not even a burger on the kids menu!! It is basically PBJ or nuggets. DD and I split an adult meal there.

i realize this is not exactly folowing the rules to the letter, but for those on the dining plan:
I discovered by mistake last year hat there is no distinction made in the computers between child and adult CS credits. i ourderd DD a full adult meal somewhere, using a CS credit. I fully anticipated having to pay for another adult meal somewhere else to make up for the extra credit, but never did. We used every credit with no problem so one of her credits got spent on an adult meal. Someone else here later confirmed this for me. According to another thread if the CM sees the child with you they will question it, but if you send one parent to do all the food ordering on one KTTW card, they have no way of knowing how many adults and how many children you have. Just FYI for that day when your kid is about to turn into a chicken nugget!!!!

Lol, get back to me when there is something your child really doesn't like. Or do you force her to eat everything. As a parent of many, I made my kids try stuff, but no one likes everything. I'll eat octopus, but glazed carrots make me want to gag, thanks to a stint in a daycare during college.

I've worked with thousands of kids in varying capacities. It is easy to sit back and judge. But not too smart in the grand scheme of life. No parent gets everything right.

So what is your job at this camp?
Well, my DD is 6 and there are definitely things she doesn't like. She doesn't have to eat them, but I don't cook differently for her if we are having them. I try to make at least one thing I know everyone in the house likes, but there are no guantees of that happening. It is amazing what kids decide they can live with when they don't have an alternative choice there. There are some things she simply won't eat, but there are some things I simply won't eat either. I think the point is that limiting what you put in front of a kid to only his favorite foods limits what the child will eat to those favorite foods. I think kids diets are changing because more and more parents are doing just that becuase it is easier than standing thier ground. Are there exceptions? Absolutely, but I don't think most or even a large minority of picky eaters are due to a real medical issue. I think most are that way becuase they are allowed to be. I also worked summer camp and preschool for years. We did not allow special lunches brought in unless there was a food allergy at work. You would have thought we had told them we were serving dog food the way some of the parents react when they are told this. "But all little Jimmy will eat is PBJ. He is going to starve" 99% of the time little Jimmy was eating at least something from the school lunch by the end of week 1.

Well, my DD is 6 and there are definitely things she doesn't like. She doesn't have to eat them, but I don't cook differently for her if we are having them. I try to make at least one thing I know everyone in the house likes, but there are no guantees of that happening. It is amazing what kids decide they can live with when they don't have an alternative choice there. There are some things she simply won't eat, but there are some things I simply won't eat either. I think the point is that limiting what you put in front of a kid to only his favorite foods limits what the child will eat to those favorite foods. I think kids diets are changing because more and more parents are doing just that becuase it is easier than standing thier ground. Are there exceptions? Absolutely, but I don't think most or even a large minority of picky eaters are due to a real medical issue. I think most are that way becuase they are allowed to be. I also worked summer camp and preschool for years. We did not allow special lunches brought in unless there was a food allergy at work. You would have thought we had told them we were serving dog food the way some of the parents react when they are told this. "But all little Jimmy will eat is PBJ. He is going to starve" 99% of the time little Jimmy was eating at least something from the school lunch by the end of week 1.

I agree, believe it or not. My frustration with the OP is her assumption that parents don't try. In a big family you have all kinds of tastes. My funniest is my 11 year old who doesn't like hot spices. Freakish in this house of Indian, Mexican, and Thai food. The OP will find that she can place some foods in front of her daughter a million times, and never see it enjoyed. Her idea that she is the parent, and the child is subject to her will, has a huge potential of blowing up in her face. I hope the poor little thing really does enjoy everything.

My husband grew up in a home with huge variety and a mom that cooks exremely well. He loved going to his best friend's house with over cooked veggies and endless junk food. His bff, loved eating at DH's house. Maybe the camp kids threw away food because it was nasty. Or maybe they threw it away because it is just like home and they wanted junk because that is what camp is all about.

Vacation and going out food is about fun. My kids eat pizza and hot dogs when we are out. I make pizza at home, but I hate hot dogs! They love them. There is no way my kids could eat from the kid menu for a week. I don't get the dp because of that. It isn't for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter