• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

rain

kam502

Earning My Ears
This is our first big trip in a while. I'm a little dismayed by the weather I keep hearing about. Anyone know the weather forcast for the next few days? What have you done when you've been there and the weather has been poor?
Thanks
Kris

I just pulled up the 6-day forecast for here & it's showing storms through Sunday, Monday partly cloudy. Temps ranging from low 70's-90.

Personally, I have never minded the rain while at WDW. It thins the crowds out, keeps it cool & generally just doesn't bother me. I don't even use a poncho or anything. Most people do opt for ponchos or umbrellas, but I completely don't understand the people who leave the park at the first sign of a drizzle. It seems a little absurd to me. Many times, the rain stays light or doesn't last too long, so I'd always suggest to give it some time before taking off. Go indoors for a shopping, snack or meal break for a bit & then re-asses the situation.

We did MGM in a down pour that lasted all day. It was just fine. The best park for rain I belive. WE did wear the ponchos becaause it was Jan. and we would have been cold if we had gotten wet. Except for a few rides at MK and TT at Epcot very few things including parades stop for rain. The only bad thing that we found was that at MGM all the shows indoors wanted you to take off your wet stuff before comming in. We had the real cheep ponchs and it was a real pain. We had better rain gear at the resort but the forcast called for a chance of a sprinkle, not a all day down pour so we just had our emergency ponchos. Next time I would get the better ponchos that they have in the gift shops.

We just got back form our trip June 15-22. It rained pretty much all day, everyday.

we did use the ponchos and ended up buying about three each throughout the week as the ripout very easily in the neck and keep ripping. I would suggest that either you bring good rain gear from home or a roll of duct tape to keep the costs down.

By the third day we were out of dry shoes so we decided to all were our aqua-socks or water shoes, and had no problems. My wife tried going barefoot but was told by a CM to shoes had to be worn in the parks.

We just kept on going like it wasn't raining. When the real heavy down pour hits head for a Fast Pass Distributution Area as they are all covered and while you are there get a FP for that ride and wait there until your time comes up or do a little shopping.

Remember, rain is your friend at WDW. It cools things down and thins out the crowd!!!

Keep on going!!!

We wore water/pool sandals our whole visit from June 15 - 24. It rained from noon on every day we were there. Just put on a poncho and keep going. In rainy weather, ps' are more important because everyone wants to have a nice meal out of the rain. We lived in FL for 6 years and have never seen rain for days on end like we experienced. It's unusual. You are more likely to just have an afternoon t-storm that passes.

We just got back and it rained every single day. We got a lot of use out of our ponchos, even had extra to cover our stroller.

One tip I have to dry out shoes is to stuff them with newspaper over night, you'll wake up to dry shoes the next morning!

We also experienced Disney in the rain June 19-26...we bought the ponchos, carried 2 umbrellas, and tried to keep the stroller parked undercover, even if it was dry when we went inside or on a ride. You just never know when the skies will open. We also used a poncho to cover the stroller. My tips are to wear water shoes or non-leather sandals or flip flops in the parks, and to start out early, as the rains tend to come around noon and in our case, last the rest of the day. Just grin and bear it....and remember that you aren't the only wet one there and it's still the happiest place on earth...even in the rain!

Marcy

The summer is traditionaly Florida's rainy season. It usually rains in the afternoon, but for the last couple of weeks all bets are off. It has been raining whenever it feels like it. There has been a lot of tropical air around.

I pulled up weather info for the time of our trip which is Aug 3rd through the 12th and the average rainfall is 6.75 inches. I have a feeling we will have rain everyday:(

The average rainfall being around 6 inches in August is not a problem! When we were there in 2000, it only rained for two hours in the afternoon, and let me tell you...it could have easily rained at least 3 inches in twenty minutes!

Disney even has machines that suck up the water, and squeegy <spell check> the rain off the streets!! The fact is, that the rain will pass for the later summer months, and typically people leave, which means it is so much easier to run from ride to ride. One suggestion though. Bring an extra pair of socks and shoes if the forecast is for a ton of rain. Nothing worse than walking in wet leather or nylon sandals, or wet tennis shoes.

DisJen,
I'm making a mental note of the newspaper trick for next time. Boy, I could have used it on this past trip! My ds's sneakers were "squishy" for days!

Marcy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter