Railroad MK Train closing date for December 2018

MARY-IN-OH

DIS Veteran
I see that Disney railroad is closing in December 2018 for Tron construction. Does anyone know if there is an exact closing date? As in, is it on December 1st?

Oh this gives me some hope then! I thought I read December 1st somewhere, but maybe that was just the general "closing in December."

Its been parked at Main St Station this last week, my friend was down there staying at BLT. I asked him to send me a video of train with whistle blowing, because we will be there in Dec Christmas week, that is one my favorite things about BLT. He said it didn't run while he was there.:worried:

We are doing the train tour on Dec 3rd so it will be running then. The train tour is being offered through Dec 13th. So I would guess that the train is closing after that because the train tour starts at Main Street station and ends at Main Street station. No concrete proof but I think it is something.

We are doing the train tour on Dec 3rd so it will be running then. The train tour is being offered through Dec 13th. So I would guess that the train is closing after that because the train tour starts at Main Street station and ends at Main Street station. No concrete proof but I think it is something.

Oooooo.. what is the train tour?? Do you have a link???

What!! Well, this gets me worried. We are at MK on Nov. 30th and the train was a big part of our plans for relaxing mid-day - especially after we heard that our usual relaxation spot (Tom Sawyer Island) was now closed. The December date was my assurance that our plans would work. If the train is out of commission the day we're there, I will be ticked.

What!! Well, this gets me worried. We are at MK on Nov. 30th and the train was a big part of our plans for relaxing mid-day - especially after we heard that our usual relaxation spot (Tom Sawyer Island) was now closed. The December date was my assurance that our plans would work. If the train is out of commission the day we're there, I will be ticked.
Do you mean Dec 30th? The train is not set to close until Dec. It hasn't been announced what date in Dec. I was suggesting because they are doing the Steam train tour through Dec 13 that it should be open until then. If you mean Nov 30th the train should be open that day unless there is a mechanical reason it will be closed.

@lambdabeta No, I meant November 30th. I know that it is not "scheduled" to be off line until December, which is what I had been counting on. Looks like I had replied to the wrong post, but I was responding to @bobdacat 's post recounting that the train had already been taken offline and parked at the Main Street train station for the past entire week, and it is only October. This worries me, as it would seem that Disney is taking it offline during the day much sooner than December. Pre-park opening tours appear to be the exception.

I am hoping that it being offline for the past week was an anomoly and it will be running for us in November.

Last edited:
@lambdabeta No, I meant November 30th. I know that it is not "scheduled" to be off line until December, which is what I had been counting on. Looks like I had replied to the wrong post, but I was responding to @bobdacat 's post recounting that the train had already been taken offline and parked at the Main Street train station for the past entire week, and it is only October. This worries me, as it would seem that Disney is taking it offline during the day much sooner than December. Pre-park opening tours appear to be the exception.

I am hoping that it being offline for the past week was an anomoly and it will be running for us in November.
bobdacat's second hand answer from someone staying at BLT last week does not mean the train is currently closed. It just means that it may have been closed that week. If the train was actually closed for the Tron ride now Disney would have announced it. I was just giving an opinion based on the fact that the Steam train tours stop running after 12/14. It just kind of made sense since Disney didn't give an actual closing date other than Dec that it was still going to be open between now and then.

I know they have to close the train at some point for Tron but why would they pick the busiest time of the year to close it? The train does eat people so without it running, I'm sure Christmas week will feel even more crowded. Last year they opened Stitch to help with the crowds but now that it's closed and now the train? What are they thinking! I really hope they wait till after Christmas.

I know they have to close the train at some point for Tron but why would they pick the busiest time of the year to close it? The train does eat people so without it running, I'm sure Christmas week will feel even more crowded. Last year they opened Stitch to help with the crowds but now that it's closed and now the train? What are they thinking! I really hope they wait till after Christmas.
Not to mention the Riverboat and Tom Sawyer Island. Both great places to escape the crowds, under refurb at the same time as the railroad.

The MK train closed on Dec. 2nd.

We did the Magic Behind The Stream Trains Tour on the 3rd and we had to walk too Fantasyland station to back into the roundhouse. We were a little disappointed that we could do the whole trip as advertised.

However, our tour guide was exceptional. He was very knowledgeable about Walt and the importance of steam trains.

With the exception on the abbreviated train ride we loved the tour.

Mike

I think they should have waited till after new years to close it. It’s a people eater and having it closed during the busiest week of the year (Christmas) is just going to make the already crowded park that much more crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter