Rachael and Euan's Wishes Wedding! 10/07/13 WP/EDF

A comment about your F MIL's dress opinion -- October in Florida can still be quite hot and humid. I can't imagine wearing a long, satin gown for an entire day/evening.

I'm sorry you're having problems! I think that you can politely thank her for her input, but in the end, the only people who have to like the dresses are you and your fiancé, and the girls wearing them. She may not realize she is coming off harsh, either.
I think that if you love All-Stars then get your pictures there, especially if it has special meaning to you. Those pictures will definitely be unique since all I see usually is GF pictures.

Ooooh loving this PJ so much already! Hello from yet another Scottish couple :wave2: We are both from Glasgow but we are living in England at the moment. I love the Scottish touches you are bringing to your wedding - Highland Cathedral is a gorgeous piece of music.

Have you thought about having plain shoes and having some tartan added? Most kilt stores will have swatches of tartan available. Also for your garter! I'll probably have my clan (Farquharson) tartan in my garter!

We were celebrating Robert Burns Day yesterday - he was a bit like Scotland's Shakespeare and he wrote poetry in traditional Scots dialect in the 1700. There are plenty of romantic poems, maybe you could have a reading!

Can't wait to hear more, love the story of how you guys met, so romantic and whirlwind! Have fun in Scotland soon :)

Ooooh loving this PJ so much already! Hello from yet another Scottish couple :wave2: We are both from Glasgow but we are living in England at the moment. I love the Scottish touches you are bringing to your wedding - Highland Cathedral is a gorgeous piece of music.

Have you thought about having plain shoes and having some tartan added? Most kilt stores will have swatches of tartan available. Also for your garter! I'll probably have my clan (Farquharson) tartan in my garter!

We were celebrating Robert Burns Day yesterday - he was a bit like Scotland's Shakespeare and he wrote poetry in traditional Scots dialect in the 1700. There are plenty of romantic poems, maybe you could have a reading!

Can't wait to hear more, love the story of how you guys met, so romantic and whirlwind! Have fun in Scotland soon :)

Hi! Lovely to hear from yet another Scottish couple :) I'm already having my garter made to have his tartan in it which I am SO excited about, and that's a good idea for the shoes! I'm still having a hard time deciding what I want to do for shoes but I will figure it out eventually :) When/where is your wedding?

Thanks everyone for all the posts and support. I have good news!!
I have booked Kevin Knox for our wedding and I have also booked Beaute Speciale for our wedding! I will be having my flower girl, FMIL, and 3 bridesmaids all getting ready in my room with me so it should be a fun day :)
Times going by so quick now! :thumbsup2

rachaelk101 said:
Hi! Lovely to hear from yet another Scottish couple :) I'm already having my garter made to have his tartan in it which I am SO excited about, and that's a good idea for the shoes! I'm still having a hard time deciding what I want to do for shoes but I will figure it out eventually :) When/where is your wedding?

That's awesome - I love how you have taken on the Scottish traditions! I'm having a hard time deciding on everything, I don't know how we are all supposed to be able to chose one dress, pair of shoes, colour scheme! I'd like to have three of each :) we can't book until May but we are hoping for a Sea Breeze Point wedding in February 2014 - fingers crossed.

Ok so big update! Thanks again everyone for all the support about the bridesmaids dresses...I still haven't decided on anything yet.

SO a few weeks ago one of my bridesmaids told me she won't be able to afford the trip and get time off because she is starting college in september, and THEN my maid of honor told me she can't make it either because she lost her job and won't be able to afford it :sad: But I've asked my cousin to be a bridesmaid and she is really excited about it so I am feeling better, and like I picked the right people this time.

Euan and I have booked a 2 week stay at Old Key West for the wedding to stay with his mom and sister, as they live in Scotland and since Euan is moving to Florida with me, it may be the last time he sees them in a long time. :(
We also got the dining plan, which is totally new to me and I've come up with a lot of restaurants I really want to go to, so let me know which ones I can't miss and are the best! Give me your opinions!

The Yachtman's Steakhouse
Whispering Canyon
California Grill (this one's a maybe, Euan's terrified of heights)
Portobello's
Tusker House
Coral Reef
Le Cellier (Euan's favorite)
Les Chefs de France
Via Napoli
Tutto Italia
Tony's Town Square (Lady and the Tramp is one of my absolute favorite movies so I really want to go there)
The Plaza Restaurant
The Crystal Palace
and Be Our Guest (Belle is my favorite princess so I will be over the moon at this!!)

I have also decided I want to get my pre-ceremony photos taken at the Yacht Club, because I just really love these photos...they're stunning. I would absolutely love my photos to turn out as beautifully as these, i LOVE these locations. P.S. if these are your photos and don't want me posting them please let me know and I will take them down.
image_zpscdbaaaf8.jpg

image_zpsd262e8bb.jpg

image_zps02a9ede0.jpg

So to save some time and money I have decided to stay at the Yacht Club the night before the wedding, as well as the night of the wedding, and the night after. This also saves the hassle of my groom having to check in during our wedding day, and having to get all of our stuff there and check out the very next morning.

We are having a welcome party for all of our guests at our house in Kissimmee, the night before the wedding because guests aren't allowed to bring wrapped gifts into our reception unless they are inspected, so we just decided to have everyone bring them there, and it gives people a chance to talk and meet anyone they haven't.

I haven't decided on when to have our rehearsal yet, because we really want it to be at the wedding pavilion, so we are just going to leave open the 5th (two days before the wedding) and the morning/afternoon of the 6th (day of the welcome party) so that we can hopefully get the wedding pavilion. Is it common to get to have your rehearsal there? I am also thinking about doing my hair and makeup trial the day of the rehearsal or party, which do you think it would look better for? I am going to have my hair all down and curly for the wedding, but at the end of the trial I am going to have them put it up kinda like this so Euan doesn't see until the day...
image_zpsbaa0f61a.jpg

image_zpsc4f810f2.jpg

We have been working on our invitations and have chosen the pocket invitation look. We are going to have 3 inserts titled, Itinerary, Welcome Party Info, and RSVP, as well as the RSVP envelope. The invitation itself will be navy blue, and the inserts will be ivory. The layout will look like this...
image_zpsa0941524.jpg

The main invitation on the inside will look like this...btw ignore the writing, it was purely just an experiment and I left out the word invited, ha!!
image_zpsfdb2e6cf.jpg

We have also been working on place cards, deciding that our place card holders will be...
image_zpsd07a474d.jpg

Our tables will be named after parks, so we have a Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Water parks table. We did an experiment which was really fun. We already had our guest seating chart figured out so we stuck the table numbers in a hat and drew them out to randomly decide which table was getting what theme park. As for the place cards, we picked ten of our favorite rides from each park, and we did the same thing. Luckily, the bridal party table ended up being the Magic Kingdom table, which is my favorite park, and I got Jungle Cruise :cool1:
We started playing around with what they will look like, and came up with a few ideas...
image_zps48683691.jpg

image_zps1d5bf34e.jpg

image_zpsd33263ed.jpg

Let me know what you think of them! That's all for now :):thumbsup2

Hi Rachael,

I'm finally getting around to reading your journal. My fiance is from Dunfermline Scotland. So I have some advice for you on incorporating Scottish stuff into your wedding. I can tell you now that the Scottish Thistle was a no go for us; our Disney floral planner searched for us after our planning session and she could not get it. :confused3 I wanted to do that same as you and incorporate it into my bouquet and his bout. sucks!

Our groomsmen are going to wear kilts that they are renting from Atlanta kilts in Atlanta, GA. We went up to visit their shop when we made a trip to Atlanta last July and it's a tiny little place with super nice people running it. They were very helpful and it can all be done over the phone. I just had to go see for myself because I'm curious. ;) We were going to go with Blackwatch Tartan kilts but when I saw the black kilts I thought how nice it would be to have black and white so it's still similar to a tux, but it's a kilt. They look really sharp in them too, my brother and father modeled them for us lol! :lmao: I'll have to post some pics when I have them with me. I just emptied the pics from my phone! :(

We're also going to have the bagpiper play as the guests walk up to the WP, for DF's entrance, and then when we exit. He will also play at the Boardwalk when we get there for our reception at ADH. The cost is $600 as of now and you have him for 3 hours. If you've ever seen the Off Kilter band at Canada in Epcot, it's typically that guy that does the weddings and he's great! I love watching that band!

Do you know about the Facebook group? It's a bunch of girls from the boards, but it's instant everyday conversations! It's a private group though so let me know and I can try and add you or ask the admin to add you. :goodvibes

Let me know if you have any other Scottish ideas and I can share as well. I'm thinking we might make some shortbread to put in the welcome bags and we'll put some tea bags and things too! So excited I have another Scottish/American couple to plan with!!! :thumbsup2 Your engagement pics are so cute. I can't believe you got to spend 3 months in Scotland, I'm jealous! I love it over there. I went for my first time last January and I was amazed at the beauty! Good luck to you two!

~ Nicole

Good morning, Nicole. Would it be possible to send me the Facebook link? Thanks

Seems like my journal is pretty dead at the moment...haha but I will update anyway!

First of all, our florist, Michelle, said they can not get the live thistles. However, she can look for silk thistles, and she gave us a few other options, like a centaurea, which looks quite similar to a thistle...

Am just waiting to get the prices back from her, then we will probably decide.

Also, we got our BEO last night, and it actually isn't*too* bad. We definitely have to change and get rid of some things, and we are still waiting on the floral prices to be sent over.

So...I was having a few issues with the soon to be MIL...she thinks the bridesmaids dresses I like aren't 'fancy' enough, for a wedding. My dress isn't too fancy to me, it isn't really big or princessy, and has sort of a laid back look to it, i think. I wanted my bridesmaids to be in short dresses, that have some movement and aren't too shaped. She on the other hand, wants a long dress, that comes out some at the bottom, and that is satin. :snooty:
I HATE long satin dresses that are big at the bottom, they look like 80's prom dresses to me. BUT she keeps saying that any other dress I suggest looks like something a guest would wear, or a girl would wear on a night out. She even said there wasn't a single dress on the davids bridal website that she would consider choosing, if she could choose them.
NOW. She hasn't been trying to control me, or acting like she gets to choose the dresses, BUT she definitely hasn't been holding anything back. I sent her 3 dresses at first that were all different styles, and two of them were long and satin! And she said all of them looked cheap and tacky and that all our guests wouldn't even know my bridesmaids were in the bridal party if they wore any of those. :sad:
I'm not mad at her for sharing her opinion, but sometimes I don't think she has to be so harsh. I just want to please everyone:(
Also, I think long kinda puffy dresses would look bad with my dress. What do you guys think?

I'm having a hard time deciding where I want to get my pre-ceremony photos taken. I am thinking of either the yacht and beach club, the polynesian, or the All-Stars. The reason I was considering the all-stars is because it is very nostalgic for me, and it is a much more playful resort, and can make for some really cool pictures :) It is also the resort I will be getting ready at. The polynesian obviously because it's beautiful, and it's close to the wedding pavilion. The yacht and beach club are my favorite resorts, BUT they are out of the way to drive to, and I will have to hire the photographer for longer, or leave earlier, which my MIL is also saying I can't arrive in my car or my dad's van, because that looks tacky, but personally, I don't think it's a big deal. No one will see me and there won't be pics of me getting out of the car, and the limo will still take me to the wedding pavilion. Ah, decisions decisions.

In other news, I am going over to Scotland in 2 weeks for another 3 months to spend with DF. :) It is his 21st birthday on the 7th and I am surprising him by coming over-he thinks I'm coming on the 28th of March pixiedust:

That's about all for now. I will post more updates when we narrow down our BEO or if I finally decide on BM dresses or shoes. Thanks for reading :)

I saw the pic of your wedding dress you posted and the only adjective I can think of 2 actually, are feminine and elegant. It's your day, don't let anyone upset you.

Ok so big update! Thanks again everyone for all the support about the bridesmaids dresses...I still haven't decided on anything yet.

SO a few weeks ago one of my bridesmaids told me she won't be able to afford the trip and get time off because she is starting college in september, and THEN my maid of honor told me she can't make it either because she lost her job and won't be able to afford it :sad: But I've asked my cousin to be a bridesmaid and she is really excited about it so I am feeling better, and like I picked the right people this time.

Euan and I have booked a 2 week stay at Old Key West for the wedding to stay with his mom and sister, as they live in Scotland and since Euan is moving to Florida with me, it may be the last time he sees them in a long time. :(
We also got the dining plan, which is totally new to me and I've come up with a lot of restaurants I really want to go to, so let me know which ones I can't miss and are the best! Give me your opinions!

The Yachtman's Steakhouse
Whispering Canyon
California Grill (this one's a maybe, Euan's terrified of heights)
Portobello's
Tusker House
Coral Reef
Le Cellier (Euan's favorite)
Les Chefs de France
Via Napoli
Tutto Italia
Tony's Town Square (Lady and the Tramp is one of my absolute favorite movies so I really want to go there)
The Plaza Restaurant
The Crystal Palace
and Be Our Guest (Belle is my favorite princess so I will be over the moon at this!!)

I have also decided I want to get my pre-ceremony photos taken at the Yacht Club, because I just really love these photos...they're stunning. I would absolutely love my photos to turn out as beautifully as these, i LOVE these locations. P.S. if these are your photos and don't want me posting them please let me know and I will take them down.

So to save some time and money I have decided to stay at the Yacht Club the night before the wedding, as well as the night of the wedding, and the night after. This also saves the hassle of my groom having to check in during our wedding day, and having to get all of our stuff there and check out the very next morning.

We are having a welcome party for all of our guests at our house in Kissimmee, the night before the wedding because guests aren't allowed to bring wrapped gifts into our reception unless they are inspected, so we just decided to have everyone bring them there, and it gives people a chance to talk and meet anyone they haven't.

I haven't decided on when to have our rehearsal yet, because we really want it to be at the wedding pavilion, so we are just going to leave open the 5th (two days before the wedding) and the morning/afternoon of the 6th (day of the welcome party) so that we can hopefully get the wedding pavilion. Is it common to get to have your rehearsal there? I am also thinking about doing my hair and makeup trial the day of the rehearsal or party, which do you think it would look better for? I am going to have my hair all down and curly for the wedding, but at the end of the trial I am going to have them put it up kinda like this so Euan doesn't see until the day...

We have been working on our invitations and have chosen the pocket invitation look. We are going to have 3 inserts titled, Itinerary, Welcome Party Info, and RSVP, as well as the RSVP envelope. The invitation itself will be navy blue, and the inserts will be ivory. The layout will look like this...

The main invitation on the inside will look like this...btw ignore the writing, it was purely just an experiment and I left out the word invited, ha!!

We have also been working on place cards, deciding that our place card holders will be...

Our tables will be named after parks, so we have a Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Water parks table. We did an experiment which was really fun. We already had our guest seating chart figured out so we stuck the table numbers in a hat and drew them out to randomly decide which table was getting what theme park. As for the place cards, we picked ten of our favorite rides from each park, and we did the same thing. Luckily, the bridal party table ended up being the Magic Kingdom table, which is my favorite park, and I got Jungle Cruise :cool1:
We started playing around with what they will look like, and came up with a few ideas...

Let me know what you think of them! That's all for now :):thumbsup2

Hi, Rachael. You're going to love the dining plan! The restaurants I recommend are:

Yachtsman Steakhouse
California Grill
Narcoosee's
Via Napoli
Portobello
Be our guest

The yacht club is a beaitiful environment. Your photos will be gorgeous!

the plans seem to really be coming together!

i like the ideas for the seating chart with the parks then assignin each person a ride wish i was having a sit down reception so i could steal it lol :dance3:

hope u got things sorted with the bridesmaids dresses! :bitelip: its an awkward situation but like i said on facebook jus message me if u ever need to chat/vent/moan about FMIL or anythin else as i would b in the same situation if i hadnt started keeping things a secret from fiances side of the family. when i went to my first wedding fayre FMIL and FSIL came wi me and my mum and sister and i decided to cut them out there an then, FMIL was goin round after me keepin mental note of everythin i looked at, takin leaflets/business cards off of people even tho i already had leaflets or cards from them an asking for prices etc. i think if she'd had money on her i really believe she would'v been booking things there an then for me without consulting with me first. Needless to say after that i'v only been to more wedding fayres either myself, with my fiance or with my mum an sister. At the time FMIL and FSIL were talking about doin a dress shoppin day as a big group but what i actually did wass go dress shoppin with my mum an sister without telling anyone an i'm still keepin it a secret that i'v found my dress only my mum, sister an u guys on my pj know! :woohoo:
on the topic of money this is always hard when someone is paying for somethin as its tricky to accept their money but still get what u want :blush:
i'm lucky that FSIL an her husband have offered to pay for our invites an she just let me pick, i still felt like i had to get "approval" of the design and price from her first before ordering tho (luckily she loves them as much as i do :lovestruc)
an FMIL is only paying for the mens kilt hire(which i'm leaving fiance to choose an organise) an the meal on the wedding night which we'v not yet choosen a restaurant for but since she's never been to disney i hope she'l leave it to me to pick although i will probably end up sending her menus for approval as well.

anywayz just remember its ur wedding (well urs an Euan's!) an if its not what u want then u'l look bck with regret instead of happiness, stay strong while ur living with FMIL an stand up for the things that r important to u an i'm here if u need a friendly ear. Also remember she may be putting up all this resistance as she feels like she's losing her son, ur taking him away from her an this is her way of feelin like she still has a little control. (my FMIL has this issue it sometimes causes a lot of tension an sometimes arguments if i'm not careful :furious:)
Debra
xXx

the plans seem to really be coming together!

i like the ideas for the seating chart with the parks then assignin each person a ride wish i was having a sit down reception so i could steal it lol :dance3:

hope u got things sorted with the bridesmaids dresses! :bitelip: its an awkward situation but like i said on facebook jus message me if u ever need to chat/vent/moan about FMIL or anythin else as i would b in the same situation if i hadnt started keeping things a secret from fiances side of the family. when i went to my first wedding fayre FMIL and FSIL came wi me and my mum and sister and i decided to cut them out there an then, FMIL was goin round after me keepin mental note of everythin i looked at, takin leaflets/business cards off of people even tho i already had leaflets or cards from them an asking for prices etc. i think if she'd had money on her i really believe she would'v been booking things there an then for me without consulting with me first. Needless to say after that i'v only been to more wedding fayres either myself, with my fiance or with my mum an sister. At the time FMIL and FSIL were talking about doin a dress shoppin day as a big group but what i actually did wass go dress shoppin with my mum an sister without telling anyone an i'm still keepin it a secret that i'v found my dress only my mum, sister an u guys on my pj know! :woohoo:
on the topic of money this is always hard when someone is paying for somethin as its tricky to accept their money but still get what u want :blush:
i'm lucky that FSIL an her husband have offered to pay for our invites an she just let me pick, i still felt like i had to get "approval" of the design and price from her first before ordering tho (luckily she loves them as much as i do :lovestruc)
an FMIL is only paying for the mens kilt hire(which i'm leaving fiance to choose an organise) an the meal on the wedding night which we'v not yet choosen a restaurant for but since she's never been to disney i hope she'l leave it to me to pick although i will probably end up sending her menus for approval as well.

anywayz just remember its ur wedding (well urs an Euan's!) an if its not what u want then u'l look bck with regret instead of happiness, stay strong while ur living with FMIL an stand up for the things that r important to u an i'm here if u need a friendly ear. Also remember she may be putting up all this resistance as she feels like she's losing her son, ur taking him away from her an this is her way of feelin like she still has a little control. (my FMIL has this issue it sometimes causes a lot of tension an sometimes arguments if i'm not careful :furious:)
Debra
xXx

I agree, ladies that in laws can be difficult. I will say, however, that if they're offering to contribute they should at the very least be shown what you're thinking of. I see nothing wrong with seeking their opinion about the invitations or anything else if they're helping financially. Hopefully our marriages last a very long time, and I think it will be easier if everyone respects one another and considers everyone's feelings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter