quick vent

daisyx3

DIS Veteran
This is probably posted all of the time but I don't know why airfare is so insane the last couple of years. It will cost my husband and I $1100 for each of our two flights to MCO next year. In March at least our room is DVC and paid for, and I'll have our June cruise paid before then, but it pains me to pay this much when I was paying around $200 a person for years. Several times when we were going with the kids I paid less than I am paying for two of us now. If my 3 kids were little now I don't know if we would be going to WDW for these prices.
I priced several airlines for this, and yes I probably could have saved $ if I had booked Southwest on the first day...but we almost got stranded in Chicago in a de-icing situation with SW two years ago and I only go nonstop on Delta now. Anyhow, the SW flights cost more at this point and have worse times.

It sounds like you booked your trip over peak dates, does it fall on a holiday weekend? What is the date range?

This is probably posted all of the time but I don't know why airfare is so insane the last couple of years. It will cost my husband and I $1100 for each of our two flights to MCO next year.
$1,100 a person or total? The former would be lot. The latter is not too bad.

Anyway, airline fares are very volatile, and heavily dependent on demand.

In the last 6 months, I was able to get the cheapest round-trip flights I've ever purchased from Hartford to Houston (over the last decade or so) at less than $250/pp round-trip, and nearly the cheapest I've ever gotten from Hartford to Orlando (about the same). However, both were for low-demand times.

The most expensive flights I've ever paid to Orlando were during spring break a few years ago -- more than twice as expensive as the cheapest ones. I also just purchased a flight to Houston for spring break of next year, and paid about 50% more than the flight I just took, and that for very late flights (arriving after 10 p.m.).

Watching just my local Southwest fares it is clear that demand is up and the airlines are responding with higher prices. That said I have been able to snag some very reasonable prices from Southwest during off peak days. One of the best deals I got was during a Southwest sale. Thankfully I have the flexibility to seek out lower fares. I have paid anywhere from $105 to $124, one way, for non stop flights to/from MCO later this fall, winter, and next spring.

Yes. In order to get a cheaper airfare you need to be flexible. Non stops are almost always more expensive, and limiting yourself to one airline makes the chances of finding a cheaper price pretty low.
Non-stops on SWA are usually cheaper.

It sounds like you booked your trip over peak dates, does it fall on a holiday weekend? What is the date range?
Our first trip is in March, weeks before this year's Easter. It is, however, Sunday-Friday due to DVC points being lower and that is the week of my "spring" break. Our second trip is in June. Until I stop teaching this is my reality--come on, 2022!
We fly out of Detroit so no non-stop flights for SW. I haven't found anything cheaper from Cleveland, and my hometown airport of Toledo is always higher unless we fly into Sanford.

Yeah, airfare is weird. We can fly SW on non-peak days so our Feb flights are very cheap (SW non-stops out of PIT are usually cheaper than SW flights with connections too). I need to fly home from the Caribbean on a specific day in June and was hoping to use American miles that I have had for a long time, but that day a one-way flight is 65,000 miles! Price is $640 just that one day out of the whole month, rest of the month is much more reasonable. We booked our flights there with miles, then when the return date was available, we tried but I don't have that many points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!