Quick Placeholder/TA Question

facepalm

Earning My Ears
If I listed a TA on my placeholder, do they HAVE to be the one calling Disney to make the reservation? Or can I call and do it myself?

Also, when/how is the $250 paid for the placeholder factored in?

Last edited:
Yes, the TA needs to call. The 10% off is off the listed price minus taxes/port fees. The $250 you paid for the placeholder is part of your initial deposit. So you'd owe the 10-20% initial deposit (depending upon length of cruise) minus $250.

Easy math example...cruise costs $5500, $500 of that is port fees. $5500-$500=$5000,10% placeholder discount is $500. $5500-$500=$5000. 20% deposit is $1000-$250 placeholder= $750.

If I listed a TA on my placeholder, do they HAVE to be the one calling Disney to make the reservation? Or can I call and do it myself?
Yes, you have to go through the Travel Agent. It isn't 'your' reservation, it is the Travel Agent's reservation.

Which is why I never have wanted to give up control of my reservation, even to get TA perks.

Yes, you have to go through the Travel Agent. It isn't 'your' reservation, it is the Travel Agent's reservation.

Which is why I never have wanted to give up control of my reservation, even to get TA perks.
For us, it's not a matter of having a TA for the perks; it's for the convenience of having someone do the work for you. This morning we decided to sail on the Dream in late August. I sent her an email on my lunch break with dates and 1st and 2nd choice cabins. When I got home, I logged in to see my existing reservations and it was there. No sitting on hold for hours. She keeps my cc on file, knows what we like as far as dining times, insurance, transfers, etc. She just takes care of things, so I don't have to.

She sent me a quickie email this evening to say she got my reservation and just double checking that I didn't want the Wish, sailing on the same date. She said with the new release of dates, it was a 4 hour hold time yesterday, even for TAs. I replied back that is crazy, that TAs should be able to log into the DCL website and book on behalf of their clients. She replied back that normally she can do that but due to high demand, the website was acting wonky, so she had to call. This was bad timing on my part; I could have booked this weeks ago but chose to book during a feeding frenzy.

For us, it's not a matter of having a TA for the perks; it's for the convenience of having someone do the work for you. This morning we decided to sail on the Dream in late August. I sent her an email on my lunch break with dates and 1st and 2nd choice cabins. When I got home, I logged in to see my existing reservations and it was there. No sitting on hold for hours. She keeps my cc on file, knows what we like as far as dining times, insurance, transfers, etc. She just takes care of things, so I don't have to.

She sent me a quickie email this evening to say she got my reservation and just double checking that I didn't want the Wish, sailing on the same date. She said with the new release of dates, it was a 4 hour hold time yesterday, even for TAs. I replied back that is crazy, that TAs should be able to log into the DCL website and book on behalf of their clients. She replied back that normally she can do that but due to high demand, the website was acting wonky, so she had to call. This was bad timing on my part; I could have booked this weeks ago but chose to book during a feeding frenzy.

Plus - and I get that this is not really a thing with DCL, but it can be for other cruise lines or WDW/DL trips - if there is a new discount that comes out, your TA will check for you and make the switch if it is better for you. Mine often emails me even before word of a WDW discount hits these boards to say she changed me to the new discount or my particular room type doesn't work, but if I want to change to another type I could save something.

Well shoot, now I wish I didn't click use my same travel agent, but did it myself and transferred it to Costco like I've done always in the past.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter