Question for those who stay off site from Walt Disney World

Mouse-n-Mini said:
We stayed at Sheraton Safari this time. We had stayed off property before in the 80's when I was really little. We have now vowed to always stay on site since Sheraton Safari was such a hassle

We stayed at Sheraton Safari for the first 2 days of our last trip (awesome deal through travelzoo, $59. per night!), and then moved to the condo we rented from skyauction. We absolutely LOVED the Safari! The beds were fabulous, the breakfast buffet was delicious, plentiful and reasonably priced. It is arguably one of the best located offsite hotels in Lake Buena Vista. I would stay there again in a heartbeat, if I could get the kind of deal we got last time. We all have our own preferences, but I am genuinely curious as to what part of your stay you found to be a hassle?

I have never entered this debate before---here goes!!!

We have stayed V, M, D, HafH at Disney. We have stayed Motel, Hotel, suites, rental home, timeshare week offsite at Disney.

I think it really depends on your situation and budget. Last December, our group included DSis and her fam, who were only doing UO. We rented a 6 BR house to accommodate everyone, and everyone's different plans. (Early Dec I didn't feel EMH was at all necessary.) Next month, I'm hitting WDW with just DH :love: ---we'll be onsite, nestled warmly in the bosom of the "Magic".

There are advantages to both on- and off-site. It is, IMO, entirely dependent upon your situation.

I will say this: I believe that when people say "off-site" the immediate visual assumption is the "hotel Strip" on I-drive. As you can see from most of the responses, it is way more common for enlightened DISers to stay in luxury accommodations very inexpensively.

We have been to disney 3 times and all 3 times we have stayed off site, why pay high price for a single room, no kitchen or seperate bedrooms when you can get a full size kit and seperate bedrooms half the price and if you do your research you can stay only minutes from the entrance to the park, and besides that who stays in the room anyway, we just sleep there, last year I won a 2 bedroom condo on sky auction for a total of 250.00 for 7 days, sure beats the price of a disney room, and we still enjoy all the magic. :dance3:

I also have stayed off site. As much as I would love to stay on site, I also have to consider exchange rates, and on site becomes far too expensive for us. Oh well, this trip we are planning to stay at Windsor Hills in a condo for a number of reasons. 1 - the price is right! 2 - We like to do other things (oops, sorry, but hey I don't get to Orlando every year..!!) 3 - the extra room will be fabulous (I travel with a light sleeper who doesn't like to stay in bed once awake :sad2: ) 4 - I shop like mad, so the extra space for all the purchases will be great. Plus from what I read, Windsor Hills is really close to WDW, and we will have a car.
So, although on site would be fabulous, off site suits my travel plans.
:goodvibes :Pinkbounc

PattiPB said:

We have stayed V, M, D, HafH at Disney. We have stayed Motel, Hotel, suites, rental home, timeshare week offsite at Disney.

I think it really depends on your situation and budget. Last December, our group included DSis and her fam, who were only doing UO. We rented a 6 BR house to accommodate everyone, and everyone's different plans. (Early Dec I didn't feel EMH was at all necessary.) Next month, I'm hitting WDW with just DH :love: ---we'll be onsite, nestled warmly in the bosom of the "Magic".

There are advantages to both on- and off-site. It is, IMO, entirely dependent upon your situation.

I will say this: I believe that when people say "off-site" the immediate visual assumption is the "hotel Strip" on I-drive. As you can see from most of the responses, it is way more common for enlightened DISers to stay in luxury accommodations very inexpensively.

I happen like the I-Drive hotels because they have 10,000 resturants in walking distance within your hotel. This was my first stay offsite in long time. My job would not pay for onsite for the Conference that I was going to at the Convention center. Would aagree that first hotel was Mirctel Inn and Suites was bad. They sold my hotel room. End at good hotel next door called the Hawthorn Suites which was excellent and came with a hot breakfeast included in the price.

Now I like to stay offsite now. I felt like I was in prison at WDW.

PattiPB said:

I could not agree with this MORE! :cheer2: Usually, I know, not always, but usually when people describe their off site "nightmare" they were in a budget hotel/motel somewhere in a big traffic area. I have to crack up when I hear this because it doesn't describe my off-site experiences AT ALL.

We have stayed in beautiful condos and my dream is to take my whole family and rent a 7 bedroom pool home. Now THAT is my idea of off-site.

Now I know there are those that choose the hotel/motel because of budget and/or preference, I don't have a problem with that but I'm not talking about that here. I'm referring to the people who now stay on-site at WDW in moderate/deluxe hotels because of their nightmarish, off-site trip at the Orlando Days Inn on I-192, or something. It just cracks me up! :rotfl:

Hi. I am one that stays off site with our family of 4 although budget-wise, staying on-site would not be a problem either.
When staying onsite, we do stay at the Deluxe resorts but last year bought a 3 bedroom timeshare at OLCC.
For me it is the SPACE!!!! We always rent a car when we fly or have our car if we drive whether on/off site.
With my kids now 8 and 12, there just isn’t enough room in a one-room hotel room. Even when we cruise, we get two connecting rooms for space, bathroom, tv, beds, etc.
With the timeshare, we all have a bedroom, all have our own bathroom, living room, kitchen, eating area and outside porch. We are very close to WDW (OLCC boarders AK and is separated by a fence) and driving from OLCC in a car is just as simple and fast as getting on a bus from one of the resorts to get to a park.
We still go back to our resort for rest and breaks and there is SO much to do on our off relaxing days.
When we vacation in Orlando, it is a Disney vacation so we don’t feel we “loose the magic” by staying off-site. We all come back to our resort, veg out and get ready for the evening, all out of each others way!
Have fun deciding what works best for you!

I have stayed both onsite and offsite. Lately, I always stay in a condo, not a hotel room. I own DVC but I also own other timeshares. Sometimes I stay at the DVC, but I also often rent out my DVC points and use one of the timeshares I own to stay offsite. (It can sometimes use one of my timeshares to trade into the DVC, saving my DVC points for renting, but DVC trades aren't always available.)

Given a choice between a nice, spacious condo onsite (the DVC) and a nice, even more spacious condo offsite, I would definitely stay onsite. I love being in the middle of the magic! However, now that I am used to condos, I really find it hard to stay in just a hotel room. So, I would probably take a nice condo offsite over a moderate Disney room, and would definitely prefer one of the nicer offsite condos to a Disney value room.

I would love to stay off-site, but always find a reason to stay on-site. Usually off-site you are saving A LOT of money in hotel cost which equals more spending money. Theres always tons to do in Orlando. I like staying on site because you are in the middle of the magic, but at the same time I hate how annoying it is to go out to the real world. We've rented points from a user for a Cheaper DVC stay but with new policy changes I doubt I would rent again (Not if I cant confirm a nearly $1,000 transaction! [Thanks Disney :furious: ] ). Also, for example this trip I am saving a lot of money because of free dining. I would only need extra food money for water and a few snacks. But off-site is usually a better value.

cgcruz said:
... We've rented points from a user for a Cheaper DVC stay but with new policy changes I doubt I would rent again (Not if I cant confirm a nearly $1,000 transaction! [Thanks Disney :furious: ] )....
Uh-oh -- what policy change? I better go check out the DVC boards about this.

JudyS said:

You, as a renter, just cannot call member services anymore to confirm a ressie with member services. Sure you could get a confirmation letter from DVC by the member... But i'm sure it could technically be altered. Also, I like calling last minute to make sure my reservation is still in the system. So it is more about good faith than ever before to rent points from a DVC member. This is just Disney's way to kill the rental business.

JudyS said:

The policy change is that MEMBER SERVICES is now available only to DVC members.

Members who rent their points will have to do all the follow through on the transactions now, instead of having the renters do so.

Thanks for the answers about the change in DVC policy. I went over to the DVC board and read up on it. It sounds like members will still be able to do a conference call with their renters, to confirm that the reservation is in the renters' name. Also, Webmaster Doc said renters could call and confirm a few days before check-in.

Even in the past, there was nothing to keep a member from changing the reservation after receiving payment, but problems like that are almost unheard of on the DISboards. I think it's always been safest to get a written contract; it protects both parties. If a renter is really concerned, using an escrow service would be another option.

Sorry to get this thread off track! Anyone else have thoughts on the advantages of staying off site?

We stayed on I-Drive last year simply because it was cheaper and we had acess to the local transport. Doing the same again next year. Might consider for our 2008 trip a week on I-Drive and a week on site.

We like to stay in a suite as it gives us all the comforts of home. If Disney start doing this, then it will be worth considering this as an option

we ont stay at WDW because we just never had, probably money reasons, but now we have a timeshare, at the place is amazing its a world of its own. and we dont just go to WDW, we do universal, seaworld, busch gardens too, and going shopping. we have never use the DDP, we love to go to ponderosa for breakfast every morning they remember us, and like usual. i dont really like living in hotel rooms , i need space, in our villa is huge,its like a home away from home.

14days and i'll be there!!!!!!!!!

Lesley_Perschky said:
...We like to stay in a suite as it gives us all the comforts of home. If Disney start doing this, then it will be worth considering this as an option
Disney has suites, they're just pricey! Check out the DVC rent/trade board if you'd like to rent one from a private owner (cheaper than renting directly from Disney.)

JudyS said:
Disney has suites, they're just pricey! Check out the DVC rent/trade board if you'd like to rent one from a private owner (cheaper than renting directly from Disney.)

Are they onsite then? As I dont drive in Florida, due to a bad experiance last year.

Yes Leslie, they are onsite.
First, you have DVC which is Disney timeshare and has studios up to Grand(3 bd) at Old Key West, Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge and the new Saratoga Springs. Renting through an owner is about half of what it costs to rent through Disney.

There are also new 'suites' at the value resort, the All-Stars, to accommodate familes. They are really just two rooms put together with a basic kitchenette set up (I assume like the studios?).

Each and every time we've stayed off site, it's been about cost. I love staying on Disney property, the cost is prohibitive for us, though.
As my kids get older, though, the idea of not being all in one room is highly desired, so we'll see how our next trips go.

PlutoLuvr said:
Confused here, Spicy :confused3 The big one?

This is a big one for us and why I listed it as a reason for staying off site. I drive my own car to Orlando, stay off site, don't rely on anyone's transportation but my own so that we can enjoy other sights in Orlando on our schedule.

I fully agree about Disney keeping us tucked away so that we don't want to hassle with trying to venture out. Hence, one big reason why we don't stay on site. I love Disney parks, but I love Universal, too, as well as Sea World, as well as nightlife in downtown Orlando.

Am I misunderstanding? Not fully caffeinated over here yet :surfweb:

sorry I didn't see this.

Disney does not allow easy outside transportation to any of the other places in Orlando.

at Disneyland they do.

but at Disney world - they tried their best to keep you on property.

So even when I drive myself - because of the way disney designed things it is easier to just stay onsite - okay I am lazy!!!

it is easier to visit offsite things when you are staying offsite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter