question about using DVC points

BethA

DIS Veteran
we've never used our points to cruise, but might use them for a relative to go along. Are there only so many rooms for DVC points booking or can you use them as long as rooms are open. Also can you do it relatively last minute?

I don't think there are any room restrictions. We booked CTY 12 last time and there was no problem. Shouldn't matter if it's short notice or not.

You cannot book and travel in the last four months of your use year. If the travel date is within that last four months, you do have to book at least 4 months 1 day out. Other than that I do not think there are restrictions. I have booked a cruise on points over a year in advance and 3 months. As far as the staterooms, I don't know if they only release certain rooms for DVC. We just booked the 6 night pacific coast cruise for next year. We wanted a cat. 9a, but they were already sold out. I did confirm this on the cruise website, so it wasn't a DVC thing. All those rooms were gone. We were able to book a cat.9b guarantee.

IF the room that you want remains available, you are better off waiting till you are absolutely sure of what you want. If you book on DVC points, you pay a $95 booking fee. If you make any changes to your reservation, you pay a second $95 fee. This is different than the person who books on cash--that person can make as many changes as they wish up to the penalty date.

I'm not aware of any limits on the number of DVC rooms booked or anything like that. If the room is open and you have points that fall into the DVC guideline, you can use them.

We've taken 5 cruises using points - never had a problem getting the cruise and cabin we wanted. I know a lot of DVC owners think using points for a cruise isn't wise, but we think it's wonderful.

We'll be using points to cruise for the first time as well. If we want the lowest point category in the first three weeks of November 2011, when do you suggest we reserve? Is there a "prime time" that we run the risk of it being sold out?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter