Question about tattoos?

minnow_

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone, I'm thinking of applying to the College Program but I have a medium sized tattoo on my inner arm, if they ask should I mention it? and would that affect if i get chosen or not?
Thanks!

Yes and maybe.

Your tattoo might cause a problem based on this statement in the Disney Look book: "Intentional body modification or alteration for the purpose of achieving a visible, physical effect that disfigures, deforms or similarly detracts from a professional image is prohibited. Examples include, but are not limited to: visible tattoos, brands, body piercing (other than traditional ear piercing for females), tongue piercing or splitting, tooth filing, earlobe expansion and disfiguring skin implants. Tattoos must be discreetly and completely covered at all times. Jewelry, spacers, retainers or plugs are not permitted in any body piercing while working."

Yes, if you are asked during an interview or in the application, you should acknowledge you have a tattoo. I don't know for sure, but I suspect you'd probably be terminated if Disney found out you lied during the application and interview process.

Yes and maybe.

Your tattoo might cause a problem based on this statement in the Disney Look book: "Intentional body modification or alteration for the purpose of achieving a visible, physical effect that disfigures, deforms or similarly detracts from a professional image is prohibited. Examples include, but are not limited to: visible tattoos, brands, body piercing (other than traditional ear piercing for females), tongue piercing or splitting, tooth filing, earlobe expansion and disfiguring skin implants. Tattoos must be discreetly and completely covered at all times. Jewelry, spacers, retainers or plugs are not permitted in any body piercing while working."

Yes, if you are asked during an interview or in the application, you should acknowledge you have a tattoo. I don't know for sure, but I suspect you'd probably be terminated if Disney found out you lied during the application and interview process.
Thank you for replying! Do you think that I should still apply? I could mention that I will use a long sleeve under my uniform to hide the tattoo, would that work?

Thank you for replying! Do you think that I should still apply? I could mention that I will use a long sleeve under my uniform to hide the tattoo, would that work?
If I were you, I'd apply. I don't know if wearing a long sleeve under a uniform would meet their criteria or not. I think the best thing to do is ask them directly. If you're told it does, then you're good to go. If you're told it doesn't, then ask them what would meet their criteria. Best of luck.

If I were you, I'd apply. I don't know if wearing a long sleeve under a uniform would meet their criteria or not. I think the best thing to do is ask them directly. If you're told it does, then you're good to go. If you're told it doesn't, then ask them what would meet their criteria. Best of luck.
Got it. Thank you so much!

I've worked with plenty of cast members that had tattoos, at my locations they had to wear long sleeves to cover them. When you're working outside in the summer it makes it pretty toasty, but everyone is roasting anyway so you'll get used to it. I would apply and mention the tattoo, I believe they asked my daughter about this during her interview but times may have changed since then.

I would apply and mention the tattoo, I believe they asked my daughter about this during her interview but times may have changed since then.
kaphil:

Although it might be necessary in some instances to cover one's ink, yet it's so widespread. I read someplace about a Hollywood director who tried to reproduce a beach scene from the 1950s and he gave up trying because he couldn't find enough young women as film extras who didn't have any tattoos.

It's so widespread that it's unrealistic to expect young women not to have them. (Like your daughter.) It's what a young women does.

Hey there !! When you do your phone interview for the Program, you will have to disclose any and all tattoos you have that wouldn't be "covered up by a swimsuit" This is a question that they will 100% ask in every single interview-- "are you receptive to the Disney Look." Be prepared to describe the tattoo, including how large it is :) Inner arm tattoos shouldn't effect you at all, the big problems are the wrist and hand tattoos. There are SO many cast members in the parks that have tattoos now, and most locations will give you the option of covering it up with a long-sleeve costume option, a white undershirt with long sleeves, or makeup. I hope this helps!

My father in law works for Disney and is a trainer, manager, etc. He has an inner forearm tattoo. He covers it. :)

When my DD did the college program a few years ago, upon check in they had two lines : one if you had tattoos and one if you didn't. My DD didn't have one and was in and out of processing in half the time. The tattoo line was twice as long!

When my DD did the college program a few years ago, upon check in they had two lines : one if you had tattoos and one if you didn't. My DD didn't have one and was in and out of processing in half the time. The tattoo line was twice as long!
Hi Boopuff: Yes. It really is what's done now, isn't it? Employers have to figure this, I guess.

For sure you should apply. Put your best foot forward and sell yourself and your skills. Let the Disney organization make the hiring determination. I am not a tatoo person at all. However, as a school administrator I had two teachers that had tattoos as did my administrative assistant. All were exceptional employees who were excellent in their work. Tattoos were not exposed while on the job. I would hire any of the three (again) in a heartbeat.

For sure you should apply. Put your best foot forward and sell yourself and your skills. Let the Disney organization make the hiring determination. I am not a tatoo person at all. However, as a school administrator I had two teachers that had tattoos as did my administrative assistant. All were exceptional employees who were excellent in their work. Tattoos were not exposed while on the job. I would hire any of the three (again) in a heartbeat.
Blondie58: Yes, it's what ppl do now, isn't it? Women do it; incl. professionals; the skilled.

So you may have seen that Disney just changed uniform guidelines. Visible tattoos are now allowed on Disney workers as long as they are not on the face, head or neck and no larger than a hand. They also can't contain offensive language, symbols or nudity.

If your tattoo doesn't meet those rules, every costume has a long sleeve option that will cover your arms to the wrist.

My father in law works for Disney and is a trainer, manager, etc. He has an inner forearm tattoo. He covers it. :)
I see they just changed the policy anyway (post # 18); it will make it a bit easier for ppl anyway now, don't you think?

So you may have seen that Disney just changed uniform guidelines. Visible tattoos are now allowed on Disney workers as long as they are not on the face, head or neck and no larger than a hand. They also can't contain offensive language, symbols or nudity.

If your tattoo doesn't meet those rules, every costume has a long sleeve option that will cover your arms to the wrist.
Well, so many applicants are likely to have gotten inked, so it's kind of logical that they would relax the policy, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts