Question about rides and clingy kid!

I think there's a pretty big difference between, say, Journey of the Little Mermaid and a car traveling 70 MPH down the freeway. Plenty of people have reported being able to wear infants on several rides, and we were explicitly told on Dumbo and the safari that it's fine to hold kids. For other rides, OP will just have to ask the CM if their child is too big to be held (because yes, at some point, it would be a safety issue as the child should be a certain distance away from the lap bar).
I know my daughter was afraid on Toy Story with her 4 month old between her and the lap bar. Dumbo and Safari I can see sitting on lap as little chance of ride being hit from behind plus if I remember correctly there are no lap bars on either of those rides. I have seen a child hit the seat in front of them while on parents lap on Small World when boat was hit from behind so yes it does happen

My worry would be rides like the Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan, where they ride does not stop for you to load. There may not be time for you to try the ride with her. It will be once you are on, you have to stay on.

I think there's a pretty big difference between, say, Journey of the Little Mermaid and a car traveling 70 MPH down the freeway. Plenty of people have reported being able to wear infants on several rides, and we were explicitly told on Dumbo and the safari that it's fine to hold kids. For other rides, OP will just have to ask the CM if their child is too big to be held (because yes, at some point, it would be a safety issue as the child should be a certain distance away from the lap bar).
Thank you :)

My worry would be rides like the Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan, where they ride does not stop for you to load. There may not be time for you to try the ride with her. It will be once you are on, you have to stay on.
This^^... exactly why I was asking for peoples experiences with older toddler wanting to sit on lap. Of course I would never put my child in danger, but I think you are right with the faster loading rides, no time to get off ride once we are on, I will save those type rides for later on in trip after I get a feel for how she does on the other ones ... thank you :)

My very clingy, very tall 2 year old who has mild SPD on her first trip sat next to me on all the rides (and honestly, she's still velcro at 6 haha). I told her it was the rule and then I'd just throw my arm around her, or link arms with her if I'm filming, but what helped most was majorly prepping her. Youtube is full of full ride and first person experience videos where they can see other kids enjoying themselves. Watch them sitting beside your kid/s so they know EXACTLY what will happen each and every ride and that everything is safe. Yes there might be some times (like when Tigger pops up in Pooh or the heffalump smoke puffs) where you might end up saying the SAME thing each ride (Where's Tigger? There he is!) but it can make it more fun as a memory too.

The other things I did was bring glow sticks for dark ride/scary emergencies (the bracelets are wonderful and don't distract anyone else and when we were stuck on the Ariel ride in a scary part for 30 minutes these were a lifesaver), noise reduction headphones just in case, and a stroller where a kid feeling sensory overload can zone out for a bit. If there was a ride she didn't feel safe going on after seeing it, we skipped it until another trip (Peter Pan for example we only finally went on last trip because Hook for her was too scary the other trips).

My very clingy, very tall 2 year old who has mild SPD on her first trip sat next to me on all the rides (and honestly, she's still velcro at 6 haha). I told her it was the rule and then I'd just throw my arm around her, or link arms with her if I'm filming, but what helped most was majorly prepping her. Youtube is full of full ride and first person experience videos where they can see other kids enjoying themselves. Watch them sitting beside your kid/s so they know EXACTLY what will happen each and every ride and that everything is safe. Yes there might be some times (like when Tigger pops up in Pooh or the heffalump smoke puffs) where you might end up saying the SAME thing each ride (Where's Tigger? There he is!) but it can make it more fun as a memory too.

The other things I did was bring glow sticks for dark ride/scary emergencies (the bracelets are wonderful and don't distract anyone else and when we were stuck on the Ariel ride in a scary part for 30 minutes these were a lifesaver), noise reduction headphones just in case, and a stroller where a kid feeling sensory overload can zone out for a bit. If there was a ride she didn't feel safe going on after seeing it, we skipped it until another trip (Peter Pan for example we only finally went on last trip because Hook for her was too scary the other trips).
Great tips!! Thank you so much At one point we were told by speech therapist that she may have SPD, now we're not sure as she doesn't display the behavior for it anymore. Just speech delay and very clingy! But I was still worried about her on the rides. Thank you for sharing your experience with your child, makes me feel 100x's better!

With our DS, I was allowed to hold him on many rides when he was 3 months old (obviously) but on his next trip he was 15 months old and had to sit in the seat next to me on those same rides.

Thanks guys... I'm hoping that as long as the lap bar can lower down on us ( which it should) that they will let my 33 lb 36 " tall toddler sit on my lap. She might surprise me and want to sit next to me, we have until October for her to get out of her clingy stage, but I'm not optimistic! Lol... I know she will enjoy the rides, but when she's apprehensive about something, she HAS to be sitting on me! I think for safari and rides with bench seating, she'll be ok sitting between my husband and I ... maybe ;)

You might try talking to her now about how big girls sit next to mom instead of on your lap. Practice that with her as much as you can now. It is better to deal with her resisting at home than when will have no choice at Disney.

Sorry, but no need to be rude. People ride the attractions at WDW all the time with infants strapped to them and it is allowed. If a sudden stop could be THAT dangerous, I would hardly think CM's would allow any babies/children on the rides. And comparing a ride for pleasure to a vehicle car seat is hardly the same. Of COURSE I buckle her up in my car regardless of wether or not she wants to. Why would I force her to ride a ride if she didn't want to and she would cry the whole time and ruin the experience for people around us?? Thank you, but the question I asked was about size of child being allowed to sit on my lap and if there was a size/age limit and a few people have kindly answered my question.

I don't think asking a question about how you handle your child when she doesn't want to do something is rude. Of course you buckle her in. The question was how do you handle her when she doesn't want to be in the car seat. Those skills can help coaxing her on a ride. You really don't want to spend all sorts of time standing on a long line in the heat and then not actually ride. Even if a CM says she can sit on your lap when you enter the queue doesn't mean the CM loading you will allow it.

On our last trip DS was almost 2 but very small for his age. He was able to sit on our laps for almost every ride. Peter Pan, Mermaid, Frozen and all the boat rides, Jungle Cruise, Safari, Buzz, carousel (on the bench seat). He was pretty scared and actually buried his head into our shoulder for many of the dark rides. Pooh was the only ride where the CM insisted he sit on his own. That was the right call as that ride is quite bumpy and abrupt. We only did that one once and DS was too scared to sit on his own, so he didn't do it again. We didn't try Dumbo or Magic Carpets with him. This year he'll be closer to 3 and we are going to prep him about sitting on his own as I don't imagine we'll get the same leeway as we did last year but I guess we shall see! I'd be interested if you'd be willing to report back after your trip.

On our last trip DS was almost 2 but very small for his age. He was able to sit on our laps for almost every ride. Peter Pan, Mermaid, Frozen and all the boat rides, Jungle Cruise, Safari, Buzz, carousel (on the bench seat). He was pretty scared and actually buried his head into our shoulder for many of the dark rides. Pooh was the only ride where the CM insisted he sit on his own. That was the right call as that ride is quite bumpy and abrupt. We only did that one once and DS was too scared to sit on his own, so he didn't do it again. We didn't try Dumbo or Magic Carpets with him. This year he'll be closer to 3 and we are going to prep him about sitting on his own as I don't imagine we'll get the same leeway as we did last year but I guess we shall see! I'd be interested if you'd be willing to report back after your trip.
I will absolutely report back! :)

My almost 3 yr old Velcro child rode on my lap on POC, Jungle Cruise, Kilimanjaro Safari, Peter Pan, the train and It's a Small World. He managed to scoot almost onto my lap on Winnie the Pooh and the little mermaid ride because he got scared of Ursula and the woozles. He loved Barnstormer and Astro Orbitor. The only time I recall a CM stating how he should ride was at Astro Orbitor, when it was the general smaller passengers ride in front, seat belt goes around both people announcement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter