question about FL Resident tickets

yooperfan

Hi HO, hi ho, it's off to work we go
We have always gotten year passes. That said, my best friend is moving to FL and I was wondering if she can buy me passes into the park, not annual, or if they check ID when you go to the parks?

yooperfan said:
We have always gotten year passes. That said, my best friend is moving to FL and I was wondering if she can buy me passes into the park, not annual, or if they check ID when you go to the parks?

They CAN check your ID at the turnstile. I am not sure how MYW works now, but traditionally park tickets are non-transferable.

Ted

I'm wondering the same thing. My brother and SIL, who live in FL, are meeting us at WDW in May. I was wondering if we could swing the FL resident deal, too. (We live in AZ) do they check every adult for proper ID? Could my kids get in with Brother and SIL and DH and I pay regular prices?

To me, it would not be worth buying FL resident's tickets, be ID'd and have the tickets revoked or only go to the use of the real residents.
It just depends how much risk and hassle you want to chance.
I know from experience CMs can attach comments to passes.
If it were me, I rather buy my own true passes. (And from a personal standpoint as a passholder, I wouldn't want to buy someone else's passes that were suppose to be for my own use.)

In order to buy the Florida resident seasonal pass I needed to show a Florida Driver's License. I have a Florida only license that I obtained from the Florida DMV (or whatever it was called). I needed to show my passport to prove I was a U.S. citizen and have a Florida mailing address, (which I have) to get the license. I still have an Illinois license. The Florida license is only valid in Florida. This procedure is on the up and up--there are many part time Florida residents that carry licenses in their home state and Florida.

I did not have to show my Florida license in order to gain entry to the parks (but carried it anyway) but needed it to initially obtain the Florida resident pass.

twocat said:
In order to buy the Florida resident seasonal pass I needed to show a Florida Driver's License. I have a Florida only license that I obtained from the Florida DMV (or whatever it was called). I needed to show my passport to prove I was a U.S. citizen and have a Florida mailing address, (which I have) to get the license. I still have an Illinois license. The Florida license is only valid in Florida. This procedure is on the up and up--there are many part time Florida residents that carry licenses in their home state and Florida.

I did not have to show my Florida license in order to gain entry to the parks (but carried it anyway) but needed it to initially obtain the Florida resident pass.

Good point, I renewed our APs in person at Guest Services at DTD. They made it a point to check our IDs. The CM also said that we should always carry our IDs in case they are requested at the gate.

Ted

momto4cuties said:
I was wondering if we could swing the FL resident deal, too. No

(We live in AZ) do they check every adult for proper ID? Yes they DO check for FL ID.

Could my kids get in with Brother and SIL possibly since children don't have to have IDs

and DH and I pay regular prices? you two will have to pay regular prices irregardless

i answered all questions in the quote above.

yooperfan said:
I was wondering if she can buy me passes into the park, not annual, or if they check ID when you go to the parks?

No she cannot buy you passes for FL residents, that's who the passes are for. I'm not being rude, just honest, ;) and yes they check ID

EVERY time we have bought our FL passes/tixs/APs they have checked both mine and DH's ID before they would activate them.
I am also not being rude, but I also agree with the previous post these special rates are for Florida residents and if people find a way to abuse them that could end the rates for everyone.

twocat said:

Twocat,

So Disney will accept the Florida-only (parttime resident) driver's license to qualify for a Florida resident's pass? That is good to know.

My husband and I will be living parttime in Florida soon, but not giving up our residence in Denmark. We would like regular fulltime Florida driver's licenses because we have no other U.S. license, but we aren't sure if they'll give them to us (we cannot give up our Danish licenses since we will still have cars insured in Denmark).

It's nice to know that if we can only get the parttime FL-only license that it still qualifies for FL resident entitlements.

Susan

I was not trying to cheat. I only asked because I didn't know if it worked like when CM,s get rooms for friends by being present or people with ap's that get a second room for friends and put it in their name. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Yooper, not a problem. You don't know until you ask.
I WISH Disney did offer at least a discount for FL AP-ers to buy tickets for friends. But they don't.
I am looking into best ticket prices now for some Michiganders friends visiting next month! (LOWER MI ;) )
Here is something I think is interesting:

Universal Bonus Pass - Buy 2 Days and get 3 Days FREE!
Exclusive Online Ticket - Best Price Guarantee!
The Universal Orlando Bonus Pass is a special 2-day ticket with 3 free days! Enjoy five consecutive days of unlimited park-to-park admission (including first day of use) to Universal Studios®, Islands of Adventure and CityWalk®!

* Orlando's best multi-day ticket value -- $20.00 a day for park-to-park access
* Unlimited club-to-club admission at CityWalk venues
* Less than the price of a 2-Day 2-Park non-expiring ticket

Complete Details

2-Day 2-Park Ticket
Come any two days you choose! Valid for admission to Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios®, with unlimited park-to-park access. Visit both parks within the same day! Admission to select CityWalk venues as well.

No kidding! With our families visiting, I wish there was a transferable pass we could buy. So that if my mother wants to visit Epcot for one day, we don't have to stop and buy a One Day One Park. I know it sounds silly, but it would be nice to be "armed" with a pass we can use for visitors.

Ted

twocat said:

I had to show FL ID at the point of sale at the park gate, I too have the FL only DL. FL is a state that has many people who live there half the year so they allow you to hold a DL good only in FL so you do not have to give up your home state ID. I, however, never had to show a passport. You have to prove citizenship now when you renew any FL license (after 9/11/01). I know this because I just had to renew ours last year. I always have my FL ID with me at the parks in case my finger scan doesn't work & they ask for id. Incidentally, even when my finger scan does not work I have never been asked to show ID. They just push me through.

Elise

momto4cuties said:
Could my kids get in with Brother and SIL and DH and I pay regular prices?

This would probably be prossible. If they were visiting your brother without you, your brother would most likely buy them the resident passes. And if you visited your brother & took his kids with you to the parks, they would most likely have their own FL passes, anyway so then you'd have regular passes & they'd have FL passes. I think that would be fine.

Elise

mamapajama said:
You have to prove citizenship now when you renew any FL license (after 9/11/01).

But you don't have to be a U.S. citizen to get a FL license if you own property and plan to live parttime in FL, do you? My husband is Danish. We will need FL driver's licenses because I understand this will be required to get car insurance. He is authorized (through the visa waiver program) to come into the U.S. for 90 days at a time, so he will not have a green card. We only plan to come for 2-3 months each trip.

Will he have any trouble presenting his Danish passport as appropriate ID to get a FL driver's license.

I apologize that this has gone a bit off-topic but I don't know who to ask these questions and it seems people here are very knowledeable. Feel free to PM me if you don't think it is appropriate to answer on the forum.

Susan

Here's a link you can check out to see if you can ascertain how to go about getting your Florida license. Depending on which office you go to, please remember that many of them require an appointment before you go in to apply for the license! You should probably at least get an international license before you come, to use until you get your license. I'm sure someone else on this board will have more specific information for you. You could always email your specific question through the Department of Motor Vehicles website for Florida. Good luck! We've lived as Americans overseas many times, and only used international licenses, but that was well before September 11, and things may have changed. :flower:

http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/drivers-license.php

You're very welcome, Susan and good luck! You'll love your time in Florida! :sunny:

SusanDK said:
But you don't have to be a U.S. citizen to get a FL license if you own property and plan to live parttime in FL, do you? My husband is Danish. We will need FL driver's licenses because I understand this will be required to get car insurance. He is authorized (through the visa waiver program) to come into the U.S. for 90 days at a time, so he will not have a green card. We only plan to come for 2-3 months each trip.

Will he have any trouble presenting his Danish passport as appropriate ID to get a FL driver's license.

Susan

All I kknow is that I had to present a notarized copy of my birth certificate to prove citizenship to renew it. I didn't have to show it when I got it the first time but Iwas told it was a 9/11 thing. Maybe they just want to know where you're from, wherever that is. The procedures may then vary based on whether or not you're a citizen. Hope it works out for you.

Elise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter