Q about motorized scooter

icarus827

Earning My Ears
Hi all

will be taking 12/10 cruise on DD and have a Q

I am semi disabled, meaning that I can walk, but not very far. I will be renting a motorized scooter for the cruise. For venues such as restaurants, night clubs , et al I’ll be able to walk inside them. Where can I leave my scooter while I’m inside ? TY😎

There is room outside of each dining room where people park strollers, wheelchairs and scooters. A CM will direct you where to leave it. I won't be a problem.

MJ

Same results for us. One cruise we had a three-wheel go-go and for two others we used a Fold and Go folding electric powered chair. Always able to park them out of the way.

Related but different... do you have an accessible stateroom booked? Most of the rental scooters do not fit through a standard stateroom doorway. Parking in the hallway is not allowed. There are designated parking areas on the ship, and depending on where your stateroom is it may not even be on the same deck.

Related but different... do you have an accessible stateroom booked? Most of the rental scooters do not fit through a standard stateroom doorway. Parking in the hallway is not allowed. There are designated parking areas on the ship, and depending on where your stateroom is it may not even be on the same deck.
I don’t but it’s a travel scooter and will fit through the door

An accessible stateroom is pretty key as it could become a hassle to drop off and collect the scooter from the designated parking area. This is why I did not take the scooter when we did our cruise in 2020. I had a scooter for around the parks when we were in Disney World. I would never have made it in the parks if not for the scooter, even though I could still walk (torn ligament in my knee which led to the early discovery of leukemia from the MRI showing funky bone marrow).

It wasn't too bad on the ship. We were on deck 12 so I didn't really have far to walk places and I just took it slow while using a cane. The only time I really wished for a scooter was in Nassau and on Castaway Cay. If I were ever in that situation again (fortunately the knee healed and the leukemia is responding to medication) I would not use a scooter on the ship but would see about renting one in port and see what other accommodations could be made. It just would have been too much of a hassle to drop off and pick up the scooter each time and it definitely would have taken up too much space in our room.

A scooter is definitely a challenge without an accessible stateroom. Elevators are also quite small and get crowded—we saw a lot of frustrated scooter users not able to find an elevator they could fit in because they were all partially full with guests. If you could make a wheelchair work, that would be my recommendation.

What companies have you all used to rent a scooter. Looking to get my mother one. She doesn't have an accessible stateroom but I can go and get it and re-park it as needed for her if that is required. TIA!

Vendors may be somewhat dependent upon your embark/debark port.

https://www.specialneedsatsea.com/ is one of the biggest companies serving the US, Canada and many international countries. I think they service all North American ports that DCL uses.

If your cruise is out of Port Canaveral, https://www.brevardmedicalequip.com/ is another option allowed to deliver to DCL ships.

https://walkermobility.com/ serves both WDW and Port Canaveral, which is great if you are doing a land & sea vacation. I think they are the only Orlando-based vendor serving PC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter