Put your child on your lap.....

MEF92

Earning My Ears
At WDW now and a huge pet peeve of mine is with all the people who have their older infant/toddler taking up a seat on a packed bus! To me, it is just so rude to have so many people standing when you can easily put your child on your lap! It is seriously driving me bat sh%* crazy! My son is 2 (almost 3) and I would never allow him to take up a seat while others are standing!!! Am I crazy for letting this bother me??

"Bus seating" is one of THE most controversial topics on the DIS.
It leads to long argumentative threads, multiple times per year.

Robo said:
"Bus seating" is one of THE most controversial topics on the DIS.
It leads to long argumentative threads, multiple times per year.

Not my intention to start drama. Still new to the DiS and new to Disney. First time as an adult (haven't been in 15+ years).

I'm seriously having the best time of my life....with this being my only complaint. Guess its an etiquette thing.

Not my intention to start drama. Still new to the DiS and new to Disney. First time as an adult (haven't been in 15+ years).

I'm seriously having the best time of my life....with this being my only complaint. Guess its an etiquette thing.

Yep, which is why these threads get heated. Etiquette means different things to different people, and some care about it more than others. Lots of room for different points of view.

I always made my daughter sit on my lap, but it's really an individual decision, not a requirement. I don't judge people who don't have small children sit on their laps.

Anyone who really needs a seat is always free to wait for the next bus.

I can see your point and when we took my oldest to Disney in 2011 I did just that but, next year I'll have a 5 yr old and 3 yr old twins. Not everyone can fit in my lap and honestly, I don't want them all over me especially when I'm hot and tired. ;)

ETA-Buses. We didn't take one. We either did a monorail or cabbed it to where we were going. That's an alternative for you if you're unhappy with the seating on the bus. Have fun.

When my son was younger, I often had him stand in front of me while I sat. He could stand kind of between my feet and lean back against me. That way he didn't have to sit on my lap. It was better if I sat and he stood. That way I could hold on to him.

I will say that last trip we were returning to the hotel after F! and there was a huge traffic jam. We were the last to board the bus and it was packed. People offered to let my son sit, but he was 10 and we both said no he was fine standing. It took us an hour to go from DHS to CBR. That trip is about a 5 minute drive. :crazy2: There comes a time when kids are better able to stand than us adults are! ;)

Sorry - we wait for another bus so we can ALL sit. Always have. If we need a seat for my toddler - we will use it. My kids are 7 and 5 now....but we always let them have their own seat because we made them wait for a second bus 90% of the time so they could sit. If people don't like it they are more then welcome to do what we did and wait for another bus.

Sorry - we wait for another bus so we can ALL sit. Always have...

ding, ding, ding! winner winner chicken dinner. that's what we do. lot's of ways to remedy seating issues. none necessarily better or more proper than the other.

...I'm seriously having the best time of my life....with this being my only complaint...

thank God nothing like line cutters, group fastpassing, strollers, scooters, counter service seat takers, public diaper changing, hopping in the open line that no one else sees, or anything else controversial is happening...only having one complaint while at Disney is a virtual miracle :rotfl2: i jest, i jest.

since etiquette when a ship goes down is women and children first on the life boats, i suggest that you give the evil eye to any man that prevents a woman or child from sitting on the bus, that will help you with going crazy over children sitting in place of others:lmao:

On our last trip in June, I remember one night when the bus was busting with people on board. My daughter sat on my lap, sort of, and my feet were KILLING me. I think that night, I would have paid for a seat to sit in. My feet were hurting so much, I really did feel, first come, first serve. About 10-15 minutes later, I recognized a woman standing with a cane about 5 feet away from me. (5 feet on a bus is a lot, with many people in between) No one had given her a seat. I was shocked. Right then the first stop came and a couple people got off, and the seat next to me opened up. I plopped my DD7 into the open seat, and offered my seat to the woman. My daughter, who was exhausted, had a few tears running down her face, not understanding why I wasn't sitting with her. After we got off the bus, 2 stops later, I gently explained to her when you see someone who needs a seat more than you do, it is the right thing to do to offer it. Then she nodded she understood, and all was well.

The moral of my story is, people can be selfish, and unfortunately pain probably supersedes rational thoughts on the buses after a long day. People are tired, cranky, maybe in pain, and unthoughtful.. I agree a toddler could easily be sitting on a parents lap. There are thoughtful people, and unthoughtful people. Unthoughtful people aren't bad people, their just... unthoughtful. I'd like to think I'm a thoughtful person, and hope I'm raising my girls to be like that also, by explaining things like giving up your seat in certain situations. But had my feet not been feeling like they were going to explode, (my podiatrist would not be happy :)), I'd like to think I would have noticed the woman at the beginning of the bus ride. I think this probably happens to a lot of people were they just don't recognize what the situations is in front of them, like adults standing and wee bitty ones sitting in a seat on a crowded bus.

since etiquette when a ship goes down is women and children first on the life boats, i suggest that you give the evil eye to any man that prevents a woman or child from sitting on the bus, that will help you with going crazy over children sitting in place of others:lmao:
Please be careful if you do this. My husband is 65 and because of several ear surgeries has balance issues. In the past he would always give up his seat for others but no more. I realize you are joking but sometimes there is a medical reason why a person does not give up his seat to ladies and children. Because I use a powered wheelchair he always has a seat at Disney if he is travelling with me. My grandson who is a toddler will be sitting in a seat as I do not want him on my lap even with the wheelchair tied down.

It is seriously driving me bat sh%* crazy!

Not everyone finds it as upsetting as you apparently do.

To my mind, the seats are all first-come, first served. Party of four can take up to four seats.

Now, of course, there will be exceptions. For example, party of four takes four seats, but two stand and two seats are full of shopping bags, huge stuffed animals and such -- that, to me, is a foul. People only in seats, please.

Now, if someone wants to put an infant in their lap, or a toddler, or the occasional cute coed, that's ok too -- if you make that choice, I believe you give up a right to that otherwise empty seat, and people shouldn't be surprised if someone else's toddler or cute coed hops into that otherwise empty seat...

My husband is 65 and because of several ear surgeries has balance issues.
I believe he qualifies under Federal Law as a "senior Mouseketeer," and is thereby granted dispensation to sit wherever he wants.

Please be careful if you do this. My husband is 65 and because of several ear surgeries has balance issues. In the past he would always give up his seat for others but no more. I realize you are joking but sometimes there is a medical reason why a person does not give up his seat to ladies and children. Because I use a powered wheelchair he always has a seat at Disney if he is travelling with me. My grandson who is a toddler will be sitting in a seat as I do not want him on my lap even with the wheelchair tied down.

yes, i was being facetious. sorry to hear your hubby has ear issues, i have a minor one of my own so i can relate.

personally i don't pass any judgement on anyone who is sitting or standing. i will usually offer my seat to an elder as i feel it is proper and respectful not to mention likely to be safer.

Otherwise i believe that anyone who expects a seat to do what we and everyone else is free to do, wait for the next bus to be assured a seat. i'm not a fan of young kids standing cause they don't necessarily pay attention well enough to brace themselves properly and can go flying down the aisle if there is a sudden slow down, turn or bump.

Whoever gets on the bus first gets the seats. Sometimes we have to stand, sometimes we get to sit. I don't judge anyone that wants their seat when they were in front of me on line. If I can walk through a theme park for 8 hours, I can stand for another 20 minutes on the bus and not give little kids the stink eye for sitting down. Chances are that poor kid will go flying when the bus turns corners or stops anyway.

Why shouldn't a two year old get a seat? Who wants to hold a hot, squirmy child? Wait for the next bus if it's too crowded or rent a car.

Oh goody: another bus thread!! We haven't had a good one in what? A couple of weeks now? Always a welcome diversion.

:coffee:popcorn::

I'm in a wheelchair in the parks and depend on a cane when I am walking. If I get on a bus and all the seats are taken, I stand. I don't begrudge anyone who has gotten on the bus before me. If I absolutely need to sit, I will wait for the next bus. Nobody owes me a seat. But I think that on a full bus it is common courtesy not to pile your various purchases on an empty seat. Seats are for butts, not bags.

I personally don't care if I have to stand. If I'm that tired that its an issue, maybe I should have called it quits and gone home before it became a problem. On a crowded bus, chances are I'm just thrilled that I didn't have to wait for another bus because standing in a line waiting for another bus is just as unpleasent as standing on a bus that's taking me home.

I don't mind standing, but being a female, I'm often offered a seat by a chivalrous gentleman:goodvibes. I always respectfully decline. I have worked in an ambulance for 15 years so I am entirely used to standing/moving/kneeling, unrestrained, inside a moving vehicle. I am more stable on my feet when we stop or turn than my children or my DH would be so I feel more comfortable if I am the one that stands. My DH will sit (or stand if needed) with the kids. My kids are 7 and 9 now and all of us would gladly give up our seats for women (or men, for that matter) with sleeping toddlers/infants, or to those that are our elders. It's the respectful thing to do:thumbsup2. But, if you need a seat, you need a seat...illnesses and injuries happen and sometimes, you just need a place to plant your fanny;).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!