Purchasing tickets with point??

smjj

Been there done that going back now as DVC member
My wife was telling a friend about the DVS today and she ask a very interesting question. I had never seen it discussed here before. She ask if DVC mebers could purchase passes with points. Has this ever been discussed? It got me thinking what a way to use up a few leftover points. It might even get some member to purchase AP's that otherwise would not have. Any opinions on this??...smjj

Update: I know you can't purchase tickets with points. I was just wondering if this had been discussed. It might be a way to use up those few left over points or an incentive to purchase passes from Disney...smjj

Sorry, but no, you cannot purchase passes with points.

What is DVS? No, points are not the same as cash and DVC is a seperate entity from WDW. Being a timeshare, the points only have value to the timeshare portion of Disney. Tickets would come under a different heading.

The possibility (using points to pay for meal plans or tickets, etc.) has come up in the past. Most do not think it will ever happen.

It's speculation on my part - but I think the point cost of tickets and meals would end up to be more points than most would be willing to pay. That's because points were meant to be used for DVC rooms and it costs money to convert points to cash.

Can't help but compare it to members' use of points for non-DVC options. When DVC sends rooms to CRO (to get the cash for DVC members' use of non-DVC options), CRO gets a cut of the proceeds - just like a TA would. That makes the non-DVC options more expensive than many here feel is justified and results in have members who think it is better for them to rent their own points and use the cash to pay for whatever non-DVC thing they want to do.

Best wishes -

Isn't it generally the case that when DVC puts a dollar value to points (such as for exchanges to the cruise) that they assign the value of $5 per point? So it would be 45 points for a four day expiring park hopper.

bicker said:
Isn't it generally the case that when DVC puts a dollar value to points (such as for exchanges to the cruise) that they assign the value of $5 per point? So it would be 45 points for a four day expiring park hopper.

I agree, the point value, if it were allowed, wouldn't make it worth it. A DVC discounted AP would cost almost a week in a studio.

You could always rent the leftoever points and then use that money towards tickets. Might be a better value then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter