Purchasing DVC - how many points???

I doubt AKV will be more difficult to book, if anything, it may be a little less so. It's the same issue as with SSR, new owners there will want to try it a time or 2 but then they'll branch out and want to try other things creating less demand. Resort size is only a minor issue, resort demand is always the overwhelming issue when it comes to availability. Of course a given resort actually has a number of separate demand areas. Concierge will likely never been any easier there.

Well, you've already gotten the "conventional wisdom" around here which is that you'd have to be crazy to throw money away on a direct purchase. I'm here to counter that by saying that I think you're doing absolutely the right thing by researching all the facts, then considering how those apply to your situation.

For my family, a direct purchase at Aulani was the right decision. I don't care how bad of a "value" the cruises and non-DVC options are, I want to have that flexibility decades into the future. Disney offered a significant incentive (10% more points) to buy direct. And we didn't have to sweat it out looking for the right contract at the right resort with the right use year, then pray it made it through ROFR. We decided to buy, and bought.

I guess all I'm saying is don't buy into the hype that tries to brainwash you into thinking a direct purchase is automatically a dumb move. You can save money (sometimes a LOT of money) purchasing resale, but everything else is downside...

Well, you've already gotten the "conventional wisdom" around here which is that you'd have to be crazy to throw money away on a direct purchase. I'm here to counter that by saying that I think you're doing absolutely the right thing by researching all the facts, then considering how those apply to your situation.

For my family, a direct purchase at Aulani was the right decision. I don't care how bad of a "value" the cruises and non-DVC options are, I want to have that flexibility decades into the future. Disney offered a significant incentive (10% more points) to buy direct. And we didn't have to sweat it out looking for the right contract at the right resort with the right use year, then pray it made it through ROFR. We decided to buy, and bought.

I guess all I'm saying is don't buy into the hype that tries to brainwash you into thinking a direct purchase is automatically a dumb move. You can save money (sometimes a LOT of money) purchasing resale, but everything else is downside...

You don't do anybody any good by making unfair characterizations and misinterpreting the advice that has been given on these boards. Same can be said for insulting those who are simply trying to offer information and guidance to prospective buyers. If you truly believe the statements I have put in bold above are accurate reflections of the advice given then I would suggest you work on developing your reading comprehension skills.

The fact of the matter is that each purchase should be analyzed in terms of what one is receiving and what the next best options are. In the cases of VGF, AUL and VGC, direct purchases make an incredible amount of sense due mostly to the fact that there are few (if any) viable alternatives. In the case of other resorts (specifically AKV and BLT) direct purchases do not make any financial sense, especially in light of the other available options and the massive net loss that one incurs as soon as the 10 day recission period has expired.

I openly invite you or anyone else to make a financial case for purchasing AKV or BLT at current direct market prices.

I'm on record as saying there are appropriate situations to buy retail, VGF is one for some. But it assumes you value that location and will use it, not just as a means to get into the system.

Your choice of course, esp if you knew what you were and were not getting.

This is the biggest issue I have with this line of thinking. There really aren't any downsides to buying resale for established resorts that are little more than half price resale. You're not losing anything of value though it's good to have option if they don't add extra costs.

I usually take different family members to disney with no set month of travel. I had bought a 200 point contract years ago and wish I had gotten 100-150 more points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter