• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Pumpkins and Pirates and Cowboys... Oh my! Our dream Disney TR!

Ok, so I keep reading that you can preorder your photopass. How do you do that?

I am going to take my extra refund and take care of it before we head out...

So I got up this morning knowing that I would be on the phone with Disney for a bit trying to get my MNSSHP tickets... I had no idea how long. After trying for a half an hour, I finally got through to the hold system.

First of all, let me tell you I hate being on hold.... anywhere except Disney. Their hold music is so much fun. I mean who can get angry about being on hold when they are listening to the Tiki room song or "The Wonderful Thing about Tiggers". If you do, then maybe you aren't listening to Disney Music enough... either that or you have a cold black heart. And I know for a fact that no one on these boards does. :)

So I finally get a CM named Gabby Lynn and she had a southern accent that put me right at ease. Not only did she have the day but at the rate I thought and so they will be shipped to the house soon. :jumping1:

I tried calling for dining but the board was full for them. I am going to try soon. I am going to put up an updated itenerary tonight as DBF is working from home in the office and I may set up shop in there to journal and scrapbook. :cloud9:

I'm in! Also nice to see someone from NE with a PTR! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the planning! :cheer2:

I have been meaning to ask where in So ME are you located?

We are up in Shapliegh (I totally butchered it) at my Grandparents place many weekends in the summer. Are you that far south?

Good Friday morning all!!!

With the weekend fast approaching, I am ready to go home...... however there are still 6 hours left in the day and I need a pick me up. Which is why I find my mind back on my trip.

So I figured I would share the days planned with you day by day....

The first day of course being travel day!

So without any further ado....

Friday 10/ 17 (DBF's Birthday)

Alarm at 6:00
Depart for Logan Airport by 7
Arrive there about 7:15ish (Rush hour on 93 is an iffy situation)
9:15 am ~ Fly out of Logan
12:17 pm ~ Arrive in Orlando :cheer2:
Magical Express to Boardwalk Hotel
Check in & Get a birthday button for DBF
Go over to Epcot (Evening Magic Hours)
Dinner at Resturant Marrakesh at 7:30

I honestly really can not wait until we get there. How I will know I am on vacation? When I step outside of the airplane in Orlando and over 1,000 miles away from the office. It will be sweet. We are staying so close to World Showcase, which is DBF's favorite part of Disney, so what better way to start off the trip, and celebrate his birthday than an evening at Epcot. (I will however be bugging him to go check out the revamped Journey into the Imagination with Figment. Figment is one of my favorite characters at WDW and I was really sad when they closed the ride. But was excited to see that they were bringing it back!)

We are planning on eating our way around the world, so I think it is fun that we are going durring the Food and Wine expo.

Also... For those who have had the oportunity to experience Magic Hours.... One question for you.... Is it easier to get on Soarin' and Mission Space durring EMH?

So I was working on Day 2's agenda and comments, when they cut the power in our office!!!:furious:

But now I am back and I figured it would be interesting to look at what was not around when we last went to Disney.

The DBF's last trip was 1988 and mine was 1995:

So DBF has missed:

May 1, 1989 Disney-MGM Studios opens
June 1, 1989 Typhoon Lagoon & Pleasure Island open
1989: "Disney Character Hit Parade" (MK)

1990: Disney's Yacht Club Resort and Disney's Beach Club Resort; Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin hotels; Pleasure Island nightly New Year's celebration begins; "DisneyMania" show (MK); "Dick tracy & the Diamond Double Cross" show (ST); "Dick tracy" film world premiere at Downtown Disney Pleasure Island; "Here Come the Muppets" show (ST); Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (ST); "Sorcery in the Sky" (ST)

1991: Disney's Port Orleans Resort; Disney entertainment "World" record; six new shows to celebrate 20th anniversary: "Surprise Celebration" parade (MK); "SpectroMagic" nighttime parade (MK); "Surprise in the Skies" show (EC); "Hollywood's Pretty Women" show (ST); "Muppets on Location" show (ST); "Dinosaurs Live!" parade (ST). Also: "Beauty and the Beast -- Live on Stage" show (ST); Moulin Rouge (EC); Points of Light ceremony with President Bush (EC); Academy of Television Arts & Sciences awards ceremony

1992: Disney's Dixie Landings; Disney Vacation Club Resort at Walt Disney World; Bonnet Creek Golf Club; "Voyage of the Little Mermaid" show (ST); "Aladdin's Royal Caravan" parade (ST); "Jolly Holidays" dinner show (RE)

1993: Sword in the Stone (MK); "SPLASHTACULAR!" show (EC); "The Magical World of Barbie" show (EC)

January 1994 Inaugural Walt Disney World Marathon
1994: Disney's All-Star Sports Resort; Disney's Wilderness Lodge, "Mickey Mania" parade (MK); "Ellington Under the Stars" salute (EC); "Legend of the Lion King" show (MK); fountain ballets (EC); "Holiday IllumiNations" (EC); Candlelight Processional moves to Epcot and extends series (EC)

We both have not been there since:

April 1, 1995 Blizzard Beach water adventure park opens
June 1995 Michael Eisner announces Disney's Animal Kingdom
July 1995 Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings Pavilion opens
1995: Disney's All-Star Music Resort; "Rhythms of the World" series (EC); "Galaxy Search" show (MK); "Every Day's a Holiday" show (MK); "The Spirit of Pocahontas" show (ST); "Toy Story Parade" (ST); "Swinging Summer Nights" series (EC)

January 1996 Inaugural Indy 200 at Walt Disney World
1996: Disney Institute; Disney's Boardwalk; 25th Anniversary Parade and Celebration; ABC Super Soap Weekend (ST); Mickey's Not-So- Scary Halloween Party (MK); "IllumiNations 25" (EC)

January 1997 Walt Disney World Resort celebrates 25 years
September 1997 Downtown Disney opens
March 1997 Disney's Wide World of Sports opens
1997: Disney's Coronado Springs Resort; Richard Petty Driving Experience; Disney's Magical Holidays included: Spectacle of Lights with the Osborne Family Light Display (ST); Holidays Around the World with nightly Candlelight Dinner and Processional (EC); Jolly Holidays Dinner Show at Disney's Contemporary Resort; and seven "Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Parties" (MK)

April 22, 1998 Disney's Animal Kingdom opens
June 1998 DisneyQuest opens
July 30, 1998 Disney Cruise Line launches first ship, the Disney Magic
December 1998 Cirque du Soleil La Nouba opens at Downtown Disney West Side
1998: "Fantasmic!" show (ST), "Mulan Parade" (ST); "Festival of the Lion King" (AK); "Pocahontas and Her Forest Friends" (AK); "Journey into Jungle Book" (AK); "March of the ARTimals" (AK); "Flights of Wonder" (AK)
1999: "Main Street Electrical Parade" (MK); "Tarzan Rocks!" (AK); Walt Disney World Year-Long Millennium Celebration begins featuring new entertainment such as "IllumiNations 2000: Reflections of Earth" and "Tapestry of Nations," as well as new attractions including Millennium Village, Leave a Legacy and Imagination! presented by Kodak.

March 1999 Asia opens in Disney's Animal Kingdom
July 1999 Launch of Disney's FASTPASS
August 1999 Disney Cruise Line's new ship, Disney Wonder, makes its maiden voyage
1999: Disney's All-Star Movies Resort

2000: The Villas at Wilderness Lodge

October 1 2001 100 Years of Magic celebration begins
2001: Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge, new parades in all four theme parks - "Share a Dream Come True" (MK), "Tapestry of Dreams" (EC), "Disney Stars and Motor Cars" (ST), "Mickey's Jammin' Jungle" (AK); "Cinderella's Surprise Celebration" show (MK); "Blast!" show (EC)

2002: Disney's Beach Club Villas; SHOCKWAVE show (EC)

2003: Disney's Pop Century Resort; "Disney's Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show" (new Polynesian Luau); "Wishes" fireworks show (MK)

2004: Saratoga Springs Resort

January 2005 Launch of "Magic Your Way"
May 5 2005 "Happiest Celebration on Earth" begins, celebrating 50 years of Disney parks
2005: "Cinderellabration" (MK)
October 1 2006 "Year of a Million Dreams" begins, celebrating the dreams of Disney Park guests

2006:"Dream Along with Mickey" (MK); "Finding Nemo-The Musical" (AK); Cinderella Castle Suite (January 25th 2007)

It is really amazing to see what has been added or changed since we have been there. Not to mention Journey to the Imagination has been changed as well as Spaceship Earth. Johnny Depp :lovestruc has been added to Pirates and the Haunted Mansion and the Tiki Room has been refurbished.

Not to mention the last time we were there, there was no dining plan as there is now, and when he was last there, there was no park hopping.

But what is really amazing is that DBF will see 2 brand new parks instead of just one. I think that will be awesome.

I have been meaning to ask where in So ME are you located?

We are up in Shapliegh (I totally butchered it) at my Grandparents place many weekends in the summer. Are you that far south?

We are in Springvale, part of Sanford. So yes, we are that far south! Actually, only a few minutes from Shapleigh. Let me know when you're up here sometime and we can have a Sanford dis meet. lol. And you guys sure have missed a lot at Disney! It will be that much more exciting for you with all the new stuff. I had only been once when I was 16 until I met DBF who is one of those kids I used to hate who got to go to Disney every year! Now we have been to Disney each year that we have been together! We talk about taking other trips, but where else can you have as much fun??? I think we may go to Disneyland next year though, we'll see. Even though we will be going for our 3rd year in a row this year, there are always new rides, parades, and shows each year so it's always different.

I'm a graphic designer too! I so love the animation for many reasons beyond the average! :)

:welcome: I see the designing process and I am just blown away at what Graphic Designers can create. DBF has his own business, but does a lot of work for John Hancock. So if you ever see some of their brochures, odds are is he had some hand in that.

We are in Springvale, part of Sanford. So yes, we are that far south! Actually, only a few minutes from Shapleigh. Let me know when you're up here sometime and we can have a Sanford dis meet. lol.

We should... I haven't figured out when our first trip is... as soon as I do I will let you know. :)

And you guys sure have missed a lot at Disney! It will be that much more exciting for you with all the new stuff. I had only been once when I was 16 until I met DBF who is one of those kids I used to hate who got to go to Disney every year! Now we have been to Disney each year that we have been together! We talk about taking other trips, but where else can you have as much fun??? I think we may go to Disneyland next year though, we'll see. Even though we will be going for our 3rd year in a row this year, there are always new rides, parades, and shows each year so it's always different.

You know, it wasn't until my mom mentioned that AK did not exist the last time I went to Disney and that kinda started my thoughts on what I missed. Honestly, we are looking forward to acting like kids, going on rides, eating anything we want. :cloud9: Man I can not wait!

Along for the ride ... :rolleyes1

I was at GenCon in ... 1999? ... Milwaukee ...

With a DD-4.5 and a WDW obsession (or so says the DW ...), I'd rather spend the $$ in FLA now ...

But I did pick up HeroScape at Target the other day (on sale for only $20 - so I could justify it ... :thumbsup2 ) and me and the DD "played" a game today (she rolled the dice ... :) ) ... and declared the Vicking-chick with wings her "favorite" ... :lmao: That's my princess: ...

Looks like you have everything well-in-hand ...

Restaurant Marrakesh (and shopping in Morocco ...) is a favorite of the DW and me (I particulary like the veggie cous-cous ...). But check your ADR time, as you may miss Illuminations ... (it's at 9:00 that night - so you may want to go for a 7:00 pm ADR ... )

Try to save some room for dessert in France ... unfortunately, we didn't ...

Later ...

I am very much enjoying your pre-trip report!! Planning is more than 1/2 the fun isn't it?!
I understand about your grandpa. I went on a trip with my brother and maternal grandma to disneyland when we were teens. She was always very reserved and never really seemed to have fun....at disneyland she was a little kid! Amazing...good memories.
Then my brother and I went to disneyland when he graduated from H.S., and our paternal grandparents met us there one day. We had so much fun. We stayed at the disneyland hotel and thought we were really something when we rode the monorail in with Michael Landon and his family.
My grandparents were very hard working folks, who had never been to an amusement park. Space mountain was new at the time and we talked my grandparents into going on it with us. They asked us if it was scary....we said..."no...not that scary" with our fingers crossed behind our backs. My grandpa asked if it was fast....we said "no...not that fast", (we were evil teenagers!). We went on the ride. My grandmother LOVED it, First thing she said was "can we go again?" My grandfather refused to go on any other rides for several hours...lol.
He wouldn't even go on Peter Pan because he couldn't see inside the ride ....lol
We did talk him into going on Pirates of the Caibbean and the haunted mansion though....he loved them both!
Good memories, thank you for helping me think about them again!

:goodvibes Hi, I am here and along for the fun :thumbsup2 Sounds like some great planning so far :woohoo:

:welcome: I am glad you made it over.

Along for the ride ... :rolleyes1

:welcome: I am glad you found my PTR. :)

I was at GenCon in ... 1999? ... Milwaukee ...

With a DD-4.5 and a WDW obsession (or so says the DW ...), I'd rather spend the $$ in FLA now ...

But I did pick up HeroScape at Target the other day (on sale for only $20 - so I could justify it ... :thumbsup2 ) and me and the DD "played" a game today (she rolled the dice ... :) ) ... and declared the Vicking-chick with wings her "favorite" ... :lmao: That's my princess: ...

That. is. awesome. Your DD sounds like she could be a gamer some day :)

We went to GenCon last year and had fun and we are going again this year, but it will be our last year for a while. It is getting really expensive.

Looks like you have everything well-in-hand ...

Restaurant Marrakesh (and shopping in Morocco ...) is a favorite of the DW and me (I particulary like the veggie cous-cous ...). But check your ADR time, as you may miss Illuminations ... (it's at 9:00 that night - so you may want to go for a 7:00 pm ADR ... )

Try to save some room for dessert in France ... unfortunately, we didn't ...

I am so glad you liked Restaurant Marrakesh. The veggie cous-cous sounds so good! I will have to call and change the reservations, because we were looking at seeing Illuminations that night. Thanks for the warning.

I am very much enjoying your pre-trip report!! Planning is more than 1/2 the fun isn't it?!
I understand about your grandpa. I went on a trip with my brother and maternal grandma to disneyland when we were teens. She was always very reserved and never really seemed to have fun....at disneyland she was a little kid! Amazing...good memories.
Then my brother and I went to disneyland when he graduated from H.S., and our paternal grandparents met us there one day. We had so much fun. We stayed at the disneyland hotel and thought we were really something when we rode the monorail in with Michael Landon and his family.
My grandparents were very hard working folks, who had never been to an amusement park. Space mountain was new at the time and we talked my grandparents into going on it with us. They asked us if it was scary....we said..."no...not that scary" with our fingers crossed behind our backs. My grandpa asked if it was fast....we said "no...not that fast", (we were evil teenagers!). We went on the ride. My grandmother LOVED it, First thing she said was "can we go again?" My grandfather refused to go on any other rides for several hours...lol.
He wouldn't even go on Peter Pan because he couldn't see inside the ride ....lol
We did talk him into going on Pirates of the Caibbean and the haunted mansion though....he loved them both!
Good memories, thank you for helping me think about them again!

I found myself thinking about them many times as we were coming upwith our ADRs. I know that that is going to happen many times as I plan. :)

And :welcome:

So we spent the weekend hanging around the house. It was rather relaxing, and really nice, as we spent Friday night celebrating DBF's wonderful cancer news (his 2 times a year screening being changed to once a year) by seeing Iron Man and dinner.

All I have to say about Iron Man is if you were on the fence about seeing it, go. It was an awesome movie. And if you do go, stay through the credits.

Anyway now that the work week has begun anew it is time to get back to the Itinerary.

Saturday October 18th

Wake up call from The Increadibles (if we can, as that is DBF's favorite ATM)
Chef Mickey's Reservation 8:30
Then off to MAGIC KINGDOM!!!!
Cinderella's Royal Table Reservation 1:00
More Magic Kingdom
Back to the Hotel for Rest....
Dinner TBD (Possibly at Epcot)
Maybe catch the Disney Hollywood Studios Magic Hours

I honestly can not wait for this moment:

Walking through the gates at the Magic Kingdom and steping foot onto Main Street USA. That first look up the street takes anyone's breath away. To see the Castle for the first time, gets me all teary just thinking about it.

Chef Mickey's has the best Breakfast ever. I love it! That and the orange juice in florida is the best in the world. And (Bonus!) it is a character breakfast!!!

However, the dream that I mentioned in the title is actually what is happening at 1:00. I have always wanted to eat at the Castle. When I was 7 we would pass by and I would want to eat there, but my grandmother would tell me that it was too crowded to go. Now, I will get to go and do what I have always dreamed.

When we had first planned this trip we had determined that we were going to include everything we had ever dreamed. This would be touring the World Showcase for the DBF and eating at Cinderella's Castle for me. I want to be a princess: while I am there.

Where we wanted to limit ourselves mealwise we are only doing table meals 1 to 2 times a day. The rest will be counter service or snacks. So dinner is iffy. He may want to do counter service for dinner. I will leave it up to him though.

And I would love to take advantage of the EMH at DHS. Maybe I can get the Rockin' Rollercoaster out of the way....(I am afraid of rollercoasters but I have promiced to ride them on this trip)

So my questions for this day are:

How early should the wake up call be on the morning to get to Chef Mickeys on time?

What is the best mode of transportation to get from Boardwalk to the Contemporary?

So my questions for this day are:

How early should the wake up call be on the morning to get to Chef Mickeys on time?

It depends on how long it takes you guys to get ready... for us I'd be setting it for 5am... but that's because 5 people have to get ready... Whatever time you need to know you will be out the door by 7a... and If you figure out how to get a call from someone other than Mickey/Stitch let me know ... I haven't heard of that...

What is the best mode of transportation to get from Boardwalk to the Contemporary?
Probably take a bus to the MK and the mono or walk over to Contemporary

Are you doing deluxe dining? you are eating at some really cool places and more than one TS a day so I was just curious :)

It depends on how long it takes you guys to get ready... for us I'd be setting it for 5am... but that's because 5 people have to get ready... Whatever time you need to know you will be out the door by 7a... and If you figure out how to get a call from someone other than Mickey/Stitch let me know ... I haven't heard of that...

I will have to check it out. If not... Mickey it is. Seeing as it is just the 2 of us. I was hoping for being out the door for 7:30 but if it has to be 7 so be it .

Probably take a bus to the MK and the mono or walk over to Contemporary

Thats what I thought.

Are you doing deluxe dining? you are eating at some really cool places and more than one TS a day so I was just curious :)

Nope... we had decided to not do the dining plan. His sister, our friends, and my mom were not too happy with the plan when they all had it.

And for us the one to two table service meals a day is more so that we are not as full as we walk around the park. So we are trying to stick with big breakfast, snacky lunch, snacks around the park and Table Service dinner. But where we are doing lunch at the Castle, I am not sure if he wants to stick to the plan for that day or go out somewhere in Epcot for dinner.

They didn't have dole whip when I went last... I am dying to try it out. I have the feeling that I will love it!:banana:

I will have to check it out. If not... Mickey it is. Seeing as it is just the 2 of us. I was hoping for being out the door for 7:30 but if it has to be 7 so be it .
You always want to give yourself an hour for transportation.. because sometimes it's longer or busses are slow or don't show up soon enough... yadda yadda :)

Nope... we had decided to not do the dining plan. His sister, our friends, and my mom were not too happy with the plan when they all had it.

And for us the one to two table service meals a day is more so that we are not as full as we walk around the park. So we are trying to stick with big breakfast, snacky lunch, snacks around the park and Table Service dinner. But where we are doing lunch at the Castle, I am not sure if he wants to stick to the plan for that day or go out somewhere in Epcot for dinner.

They didn't have dole whip when I went last... I am dying to try it out. I have the feeling that I will love it!:banana:
If you are doing at least 1 CS per day I highly reccomend dining plan as it will save you money in the long run. I have used it 2 years already and it worked great.

If you are doing at least 1 CS per day I highly reccomend dining plan as it will save you money in the long run. I have used it 2 years already and it worked great.

Because we have already paid for most of our Table service meals, I think we are still going to skip it for this one, but next time (I am hoping next year) I think we are going to try it , as now I read about people raving about it.

Like I said, all the reviews I had heard about the meal plan before joining here were bad, so we didn't want to risk it. But where I am reading such positive reviews here, I would have to talk the DBF into trying it. But I think that will not be so hard.

Sunday October 19th

Epcot
F&W Stations for lunch/snack
Dinner: Liberty Square Tavern 5:30
Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party

This is the day that we head over to Epcot for more eating around the world. This will be interesting to see what DBF will eat, as he has been talking about this ever since we decided to go to WDW in October. And hopefully we can get on Test Track, Spaceship Earth and another round on Journey into the Imagination. (What can I say? Figment is the man. :figment:)

YAY for Halloween in the middle of October! I was thinking of being Belle (with the blue dress) or Indy Jones. (Mainly to justify the purchase of the fedora and the whip at DHS. :laughing: ) No clue what DBF will be....Maybe I can talk him into being a Jedi.

Monday October 20th

Day at Universal Studios
Lunch there…
Nap at Hotel
Dinner at Scifi Café 7:30
Evening Magic Hours at MK or Adventurers’ Club

So part of the negotiation about the length of the trip was we could use up my vacation time only if we could spend time at Universal (2 parks 2 days)... As much as I was not enthused about this, I am going along with it because I am spending 10 days at the happiest place on Earth. We realized that we wanted to see less at Universal and more at Islands of Adventure, and so I scheduled Universal here.

Dinner sounds interesting. I have heard nothing but good things about the Sci Fi Cafe.

If we aren't exausted we can take advantage of the MK magic hours or head towards DTD and Pleasure Island. We both want to check out the Adventurers’ Club, as it seemed to remind us of the old 1800's Hunter's Clubs. Has anyone ever been there?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter