Pulling your TT or 5er

Funny story the only reason I like my truck is because it is so comfortable. I looked at the 08 and they where not as comfortable to me because they don't have as much leg room. I am pretty tall (not Rvusa tall but 6'2") with bad knees so leg room is important to me. Thanks for the info though. I thank I am going to try this http://www.superchips.com/products....as+&+Rangers,+99-08+Diesel+Pickup+&+Excursion
I like the 2 year power train warranty and I talked to them and they said even towing my EGT's would stay well within there limits.
I'm 5'-6" so that might make a difference in the comfort level of the seats. Leg room is different, but not an issue for me. I have a friend that is way taller than me, maybe 6'-1" or 6'-2" and he got his '08 before me and his recommendation was the basis for my knowledge of how the seats were more comfortable. He had an Excursion prior to his '08 F-250.

The only thing I didn't mention about my setup is that I also use a Hyperchips Power Programmer II set to Tow mode. I think it is roughly 30 extra HP and 70 extra ft.lbs. of torque. I've played with the performance mode a couple of times, but I don't have any exhaust or intake mods and I can really get the EGTs to climb pretty fast. I've been pretty satisfied running the thing in tow mode and there is a big difference from stock mode.

The only thing I didn't mention about my setup is that I also use a Hyperchips Power Programmer II set to Tow mode. I think it is roughly 30 extra HP and 70 extra ft.lbs. of torque. I've played with the performance mode a couple of times, but I don't have any exhaust or intake mods and I can really get the EGTs to climb pretty fast. I've been pretty satisfied running the thing in tow mode and there is a big difference from stock mode.

I run the Hypertech on mine in #3 all the time. For some crazy reason the highest setting yields the best mileage. An aftermarket exhaust will also allow the programmer to fuel the truck more efficiently, mine was good before the exhaust and even better after. I rarely use the extra power, the programmer does make the truck easier to drive in that it comes into the power sooner and doesnt require as much throttle pedal travel to get the boost up.

I dont have a lot of experience with the 6.0, the rumblings I have heard is that it didnt like the power adders.

Have you had the truck specifically checked out by someone familiar with this engine ? I would be curious what an evaluation of the injectors and fuel system would yield. It almost sounds like you have a restriction somewhere, was the truck always like this ? I would avoid a power adders until I was sure that the truck was running right.

My 05 Chevy gets about 11-11 1/4 on summer fuel and will only come out of OD a few times between home and Florida. In the winter my mileage will drop to about 10 until I get south of Cincinatti and the amount of kerosene in the fuel goes down. I always tow in tow/haul mode and typically run between 60-65 MPH. My trailer weighs a little under 9K fully loaded.

The biggest single improvement I made was the 4" turbo back exhaust. The 05 LLY series Duramax runs hot, I have made several modifications to the truck to help it shed heat but the exhaust was the most effective. I do run a towing programmer and that also helped with the mileage.

My best advice would be to find seek out someone with 6.0 experience and pick their brain for possible solutions. An online forum may be helpful also but dont put too much on what is said there until you can sort out the personalities a little.

Good luck

Went and picked the brain of the best ford diesel man I know of today. He said that is pretty much normal :mad: . I have been reading alot of the diesel forums nobody really has my problem. I am going to order a superchips cortex tomorrow. It comes with a 2 year powertrain warranty if ford says no to a claim due to the truck having a programer in it, superchips will pay to fix it. They told me that is how sure they are that there programer will not hurt my truck.

I run the Hypertech on mine in #3 all the time. For some crazy reason the highest setting yields the best mileage. An aftermarket exhaust will also allow the programmer to fuel the truck more efficiently, mine was good before the exhaust and even better after. I rarely use the extra power, the programmer does make the truck easier to drive in that it comes into the power sooner and doesnt require as much throttle pedal travel to get the boost up.

Super chips told me the reason you get the best mileage in the highest setting is at highway speeds it makes the truck spray a finer mist of diesel.

I get about 12mpg pulling 8K with my 07 Dodge 5.9 cummings. If I keep my foot out of it I can get up to 13mpg, but usually I can't resist keeping the train moving!

I get about 12mpg pulling 8K with my 07 Dodge 5.9 cummings. If I keep my foot out of it I can get up to 13mpg, but usually I can't resist keeping the train moving!

I think the 5.9 Cummins is the mileage king in light duty trucks, you see a lot of hotshotters driving them for that exact reason.

I have been thinking of getting a dodge but my ford is so comfortable. Is your dodge a auto or 6 speed?

I think the 5.9 is king period.

We had several of them at work in FL60 Freightliners and have had 2 catastrophic failures, one they paid for and one we took the hit on.

If I had the choice between truck and engine I would take the 5.9 with a 1000 Allison in a Chevy truck.

My 5.9 is an auto. I thought about the 6 spd, but I'm just too lazy. I do think the exhaust brake option would be handy!

I do miss my Ford F350 crew cab. Our Mega cab has more room, but the seats are not nearly as comfy!

My ideal truck: F350 body, Chevy ride, Allison Tranny, and 5.9 juiced! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter