Pulling your TT or 5er

LONE-STAR

<font color=green>1000 miles to far from Disney<br
I have a question for you guys with diesels puling your trailers. I have a 2005 f-350 4x4 with the 6.0 diesel. I am pulling a 8000 pound TT toy hauler empty(11,500 loaded and I have not pulled it loaded yet) My truck will not pull my trailer in overdrive which is making me get 5 mpg:eek: . So what I was wanting to know is how is every body else doing. What truck are you pulling with, how much weight are you pulling, and will it hold overdrive. Oh yeah whats your mpg while towing ??? Thanks in advance.:thumbsup2

Hey this is Darrell...

I have a 2003 Ford F350 6.0 Deisel 4x4 that I tow a 32 foot Wildcat 5th Wheel. The Nightcrawler (5th Wheel) is 8900 lbs dry and around 12,000 lbs loaded. I do not tow in overdrive, I use the tow/haul mode and I get 12 to 14 mpg on the highway on flat land and usually get 9 to 10 mpg in the mountains of NC & TN. I have done nothing to the computer to obtain better milage because my research shows that is not good for the engine. You should be getting better fuel milage than what you are getting if you are on flat land.

Hey this is Darrell...

I have a 2003 Ford F350 6.0 Deisel 4x4 that I tow a 32 foot Wildcat 5th Wheel. I do not tow in overdrive, I use the tow/haul mode and I get 12 to 14 mpg on the highway on flat land and usually get 9 to 10 mpg in the mountains of NC & TN. I have done nothing to the computer to obtain better milage because my research shows that is not good for the engine. You should be getting better fuel milage than what you are getting if you are on flat land.

I also use the tow haul mode, but it is still suppose to use all the gears in tow haul just change the shift points and down shifting but mine just wont do it:confused3. I cant get into the final gear thanks for the reply.

My truck is a 2004 Chevy crew cab 2wd with a Duramax/Allison. My trailer is a 2008 Cougar toy hauler that weighs about 8k empty. Loaded is probably 10k. I use the tow/haul mode as well and don't seem to have a problem. I get around 10 pulling at 70 mph. If I back off to 55 it says 13-14 on the instant economy. I think the truck handles my rig pretty good.

I let Donnie back my truck in because he doesn't need a pull thru.

That seems very odd about the OD. What rear end gear ratio do you have? Mine is the 3.73 and our (former) Puma weighed a little over 7000 lbs. With the golf cart, we easily exceeded 8,000 and once we hit the interstate, it was overdrive all the way.

As far as I know, tow/haul just extends the shift points and creates downshifting to assist braking. My overdrive would always kick in around 55-65 mph, depending on how hard I was on the accelerator.

As for the mpg, we always got a little over 8 but we would be running 70-75 mph the entire trip. That usually created about 20 psi of boost and you're sucking fuel hard in those conditions.

Well you know what I think about my truck... LOL. 08 f-350 4x4 dually 6.4 diesel. IT SUCKS, but it will pull an aircraft carrier at 80 mph in OD... LOL

Seriously, my 03 would go into OD as well, I think you may have a problem.... Even my dad's excursion with a v-10 towed in OD. So it isn't a Ford thing. Maybe have someone pull codes and see if there is any thing showing up.

BTW 03 got 14 towing 19 empty, 08 get 7 towing and 12 empty...:mad:

I have an '04 Dodge Ram One Ton with the Cummins 5.9 Turbo Diesel. I HAD a Carriage Cameo 36' 5er that weighed close to 14,000 loaded. I got 10 to 12 mpg doing 65mph going to FW and back. The only time I took it out of OD was going up long hills and in the mountains. My owners manual said to take it out of OD if the transmission is "searching" in and out of OD.

I have a question for you guys with diesels puling your trailers. I have a 2005 f-350 4x4 with the 6.0 diesel. I am pulling a 8000 pound TT toy hauler empty(11,500 loaded and I have not pulled it loaded yet) My truck will not pull my trailer in overdrive which is making me get 5 mpg:eek: . So what I was wanting to know is how is every body else doing. What truck are you pulling with, how much weight are you pulling, and will it hold overdrive. Oh yeah whats your mpg while towing ??? Thanks in advance.:thumbsup2

Something doesn't sound right. I have the measly 7.3L which is detuned in my Van because of the lack of an intercooler and my trailer GVW is around 7500 and on our last trip to FW from just outside of D.C. I weighed in at 16K GCW. I towed all the way to FW on I-95/I-4 in OD with the cruise control on and never dropped out of either except for the bridge going from Ga. into Fl.

I got 10.5 mpg for mileage.

Larry

My trailer is pretty close to 11000 loaded. I don't have any trouble pulling in OD. Then again it might have something to do with the manual tranny and the 4.10 gears in back. I typically get 9-9.5. I usually drive around 65.

I just spoke with my father last night who has the 06 F-350 extended cab, 4x4 with 6.0 PSD and automatic transmission, 3.73 gears and he said he's been getting between 14 and 16 mpg pulling loads (mainly lumber and construction items) on flat land. Not as much wind drag as a TT or 5er, but the loads have been in the 12,000 pound range. He get's the 3.73 gears because he always gets the 4x4. Said that if he ever has to struggle pulling a heavy load, he just gears down via the transfer case and uses 4low, but has almost never had to do that. I had to do that once when shuffling the logs up the 1,000 foot driveway to the building site, had to stop on a steep section because something had fallen in the path. Was able to get moving again in 4low.

Banks kit will get that diesel humming:thumbsup2

I just spoke with my father last night who has the 06 F-350 extended cab, 4x4 with 6.0 PSD and automatic transmission, 3.73 gears and he said he's been getting between 14 and 16 mpg pulling loads (mainly lumber and construction items) on flat land. Not as much wind drag as a TT or 5er, but the loads have been in the 12,000 pound range. He get's the 3.73 gears because he always gets the 4x4. Said that if he ever has to struggle pulling a heavy load, he just gears down via the transfer case and uses 4low, but has almost never had to do that. I had to do that once when shuffling the logs up the 1,000 foot driveway to the building site, had to stop on a steep section because something had fallen in the path. Was able to get moving again in 4low.

My problem is that it won't go into overdrive (really Ford told me they don't have overdrive. Its a 5th gear but no matter my truck wont get in it when pulling.) while pulling my TT making me get 5mpg. But I can pull it.

Banks kit will get that diesel humming:thumbsup2

I have been looking into after market mod's for it but not real sure which one to get. The 6.0 is a very problem pron motor and ford says it is already running at max power. So they say if I add more power and something fails I am on my own forget about the warranty.

My truck came with 3.73 gears. Do ya'll thank since I put a 3 inch leveling kit on the front and 35" tires on it that maybe I need to change my gears to 4:10 or 4:56 :confused3 . Any help would be great thanks.

Hi Lonestar, you're getting over my head when you start talking changing rear end gear ratios. But my first diesel was an '05 F-250 PSD. My Airstream weighs about 7,000 LBS loaded and my truck had the 3.73 rear end and was a two wheel drive, extended cab.

The transmission in the PSD actually has six gears. You only use five of them when in either regular or tow/haul mode. When you switch to the tow/haul mode, you use four of the same gears that you use in regular mode and switch out one of the mid-range gears for a towing mode gear to maximize your power band. I forget which one. Plus you change your shift points as stated before. My '05 shifted into the final gear (overdrive as you say) in the tow/haul mode at around 65-70 MPH. Again, as was said, depending on the load on the engine such as hills, acceleration, etc. I always used the cruise control on the interstate and got 12.6 on average including having the golf cart in the bed of the truck (increased wind resistance). This was setting the cruise on, dare I say it, 75 MPH. At this speed, BTW, my tach read the same as it did at 55 MPH in tow/haul mode (same tach, different gear).

In December I traded trucks because the seats were uncomfortable and really didn't fit my back and had begun to irritate an old lower back injury to the point that I was having to undergo physical therapy. The '08s have been redesigned from the ground up including the suspension, drive-train, interior including seats, and the exterior styling.

The styling was a non-issue for me, but the ride was what was important to me. The seats in the new design fit my back perfectly, the ride is more like that of a 1/2 ton and the only time I really get the firmness of the 3/4 ton suspension is with the golf cart in the bed and the trailer in tow.

The bad part is the fuel economy. I started getting 9.6 MPG's towing and after 16K miles, I don't get much better with or without the golf cart. Part of that is the new ULSD diesel fuel. Part of that is the "afterburner" (diesel particulate filter in the exhaust system which uses diesel to burn off the particulates) and catalytic converter that gives the emissions equal to a gasoline engine. When I got my first oil change I asked the dealer to check the programming and see if the mechanic could get me any better mileage and told him my driving habits. When I picked the truck up, I was told that there had been a service bulletin issued and they had updated the program. This got me about an additional MPG on the daily commute and about one when towing. Disappointing, but an improvement just the same.

I would suspect that you are either towing too slow to reach a speed to shift into overdrive in the tow/haul mode or you might need to ask your Ford dealer's service department to see if there has been a service bulletin issued to reprogram your computer control system.

Either way, always use the tow/haul mode when towing. It is there to protect your transmission and with the heavy load you tow it isn't worth stressing your drive-train just to save a few...ok quiet a few...pennies on fuel.

Hi Lonestar, you're getting over my head when you start talking changing rear end gear ratios. But my first diesel was an '05 F-250 PSD. My Airstream weighs about 7,000 LBS loaded and my truck had the 3.73 rear end and was a two wheel drive, extended cab.

The transmission in the PSD actually has six gears. You only use five of them when in either regular or tow/haul mode. When you switch to the tow/haul mode, you use four of the same gears that you use in regular mode and switch out one of the mid-range gears for a towing mode gear to maximize your power band. I forget which one. Plus you change your shift points as stated before. My '05 shifted into the final gear (overdrive as you say) in the tow/haul mode at around 65-70 MPH. Again, as was said, depending on the load on the engine such as hills, acceleration, etc. I always used the cruise control on the interstate and got 12.6 on average including having the golf cart in the bed of the truck (increased wind resistance). This was setting the cruise on, dare I say it, 75 MPH. At this speed, BTW, my tach read the same as it did at 55 MPH in tow/haul mode (same tach, different gear).

In December I traded trucks because the seats were uncomfortable and really didn't fit my back and had begun to irritate an old lower back injury to the point that I was having to undergo physical therapy. The '08s have been redesigned from the ground up including the suspension, drive-train, interior including seats, and the exterior styling.

The styling was a non-issue for me, but the ride was what was important to me. The seats in the new design fit my back perfectly, the ride is more like that of a 1/2 ton and the only time I really get the firmness of the 3/4 ton suspension is with the golf cart in the bed and the trailer in tow.

The bad part is the fuel economy. I started getting 9.6 MPG's towing and after 16K miles, I don't get much better with or without the golf cart. Part of that is the new ULSD diesel fuel. Part of that is the "afterburner" (diesel particulate filter in the exhaust system which uses diesel to burn off the particulates) and catalytic converter that gives the emissions equal to a gasoline engine. When I got my first oil change I asked the dealer to check the programming and see if the mechanic could get me any better mileage and told him my driving habits. When I picked the truck up, I was told that there had been a service bulletin issued and they had updated the program. This got me about an additional MPG on the daily commute and about one when towing. Disappointing, but an improvement just the same.

I would suspect that you are either towing too slow to reach a speed to shift into overdrive in the tow/haul mode or you might need to ask your Ford dealer's service department to see if there has been a service bulletin issued to reprogram your computer control system.

Either way, always use the tow/haul mode when towing. It is there to protect your transmission and with the heavy load you tow it isn't worth stressing your drive-train just to save a few...ok quiet a few...pennies on fuel.

Funny story the only reason I like my truck is because it is so comfortable. I looked at the 08 and they where not as comfortable to me because they don't have as much leg room. I am pretty tall (not Rvusa tall but 6'2") with bad knees so leg room is important to me. Thanks for the info though. I thank I am going to try this http://www.superchips.com/products....as+&+Rangers,+99-08+Diesel+Pickup+&+Excursion
I like the 2 year power train warranty and I talked to them and they said even towing my EGT's would stay well within there limits.

I dont have a lot of experience with the 6.0, the rumblings I have heard is that it didnt like the power adders.

Have you had the truck specifically checked out by someone familiar with this engine ? I would be curious what an evaluation of the injectors and fuel system would yield. It almost sounds like you have a restriction somewhere, was the truck always like this ? I would avoid a power adders until I was sure that the truck was running right.

My 05 Chevy gets about 11-11 1/4 on summer fuel and will only come out of OD a few times between home and Florida. In the winter my mileage will drop to about 10 until I get south of Cincinatti and the amount of kerosene in the fuel goes down. I always tow in tow/haul mode and typically run between 60-65 MPH. My trailer weighs a little under 9K fully loaded.

The biggest single improvement I made was the 4" turbo back exhaust. The 05 LLY series Duramax runs hot, I have made several modifications to the truck to help it shed heat but the exhaust was the most effective. I do run a towing programmer and that also helped with the mileage.

My best advice would be to find seek out someone with 6.0 experience and pick their brain for possible solutions. An online forum may be helpful also but dont put too much on what is said there until you can sort out the personalities a little.

Good luck

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter