pulling kids out of school to cruise...

dnice416

Earning My Ears
Just wondering what the consensus is in regards to removing a child from school for a cruise. As a working mother I feel as if this time is a necessity to keep my family intact since I cannot take vacations during "prime time" season. Does bonding time supersede schoolwork?

Let my reply to this and tell you what we do... We her pue out boy out of school for a week on 4 seperate vacations two cruises and a week in Tennessee... Withy that being said h was in 1st grade... 2grade and 3 grade..... With a cruise booked in march o 2014..... His homework was done prior to him goin on vacation thank god the teachers worked well with us.... He has been very good keeping his grades up.... I told my wife this past year in Tennessee that maybe his 4grade year will be it with family vacations during school but it will still be open we have to see how he is learning and doin well I school... If it starts to be har for him te we will for sure not be able to do it any longer.... I think as long as u can swing it I say go for it everybody needs a break sometime.... Hope this helps a little :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I think it depends on the age of the kids. I pulled my kids this year (grades 2 & 4) but would not do it once the older one hits middl school due to the workload in school. Even this time they had quite a bit of work to do when we got back (I got it from the teacher before we left).

The schools in our school district mark anything over a 3-day absence as "Truant" and reports it to the school district main office. I got nasty letters sent to me for both kids reporting that they had a truancy on their record now. This is all AFTER I had already spoken with both kids' teachers at 2 different schools and they had said OK and even given us homework to do on the vacation. Our district is super strict about attendance due to the state funding issues.

However, when I was little my parents pulled my brother and I out of school for at least a week every October so we could go on a family vacation. My dad worked in a summer-heavy business and this was the only time we could all go. Those were some of my best memories of travel, discovery and family time. :grouphug:

We do not pull our kids out of school for vacations because we feel that would send our kids the wrong message that vacation is more important than school.

If your kids are good students, meaning they do their best and aren't struggling, then pull them out. I was a teacher before we had our dd and never had a problem with my students going on family vacations. I taught in a private school so we didn't have to deal with the truancy issue.
They are YOUR kids not the school's and not the state's. Do what you think is best for them and your family. Just be prepared to help them catch up when they get back.

We pull our children out for about two weeks straight during the school year. Our school board isn't as strict with truancy rules as a previous poster pointed out. We do the same thing by getting homework and reading targets as another poster mentioned. And my oldest in in grade 5, so I don't know that I will do this after he reaches grade 6.

I don't have a problem doing it. My personal opinion. As long as my children are prepared with school work to do while on vacation, then I am ok with it.

We pulled our kids out of school for a cruise earlier this year, and we will do it again at least twice before my oldest moves on to middle school. For us, it's about the price...it's SO much cheaper to cruise anytime school is in session.

We are in Texas, and the truancy laws are strict...however, our school district "allows" 5 days of unexcused absences for family vacations. We still get a warning letter, but the kids are allowed to make up work before and after the vacation. We've pulled out twice (for another vacation), and both times the teachers were totally pleasant and supportive.

We are pulling our 8 yr old out to cruise in October. I have a very different view. I don't believe it sends a wrong message at all. We are a family of five. I stay home with my kids so we don't have much disposable income so our family vacations are not often, hopefully once a year. My kids will and do understand the importance of an education so I don't believe them missing school for a few days is going to completely change their values or beliefs. If we did it all the time, maybe(especially if they are teens), but my kids definitely understand that vacations are a treat and not a necessity and should be appreciated not expected...or at least my oldest does. ;)

I think there are far more things to worry about when it comes to parenting that parents often overlook that are "damaging."

In Middle school I would go one but no more than two days and thus year in 8th grade she missed a lot of work. I don't think I will be able to do that when she is in HS next year.

I have pulled my kids out of school for a trip to WDW and will be pulling them out for a cruise in October. It will be the last time we will be able to do this, because dd will be in the 5th grade and I won't pull her once she is in middle school. Also, this was the ONLY time my dh could get vacation.

Since both are good kids, I am not going to worry about it.

I used to teach middle school and I didn't mind letting parents know what their child would be missing. Most would make sure the child made up the work and would coordinate a time with me so I could help them catch up if necessary.

Just make sure if the teacher gives your child work to do while gone, that they do it.

I think there are times when time spent together as a family in a relaxing manner IS more important than school. If it truly feels as if it is genuinely more important than the school days missed then that is a good indication of whether its OK to go.

I took my daughter out of school in 2nd Grade to go to WDW in October because the grandparents were taking ALL the first cousins. My DD is adopted, I'm a single mom, and my parents are dead. This was my brother's kids and his wife's parents and siblings who have all embraced my daughter and myself as part of their clan. It was VERY important that we went because they hasn't thought to invite us two years previously.

I am taking my daughter out next year for two days because we are moving and switching schools and want to spend time with two best friends who are also adopted. We will not have seen them for awhile and all want to try to maintain the friendships as the family histories are very similar and the friendships are emotionally supportive for the girls.

I would not skip school to take my DD on vacation just for fun or to save money.

Just wondering what the consensus is in regards to removing a child from school for a cruise. As a working mother I feel as if this time is a necessity to keep my family intact since I cannot take vacations during "prime time" season. Does bonding time supersede schoolwork?

My husband and I are in the same boat, as both our companies work on the fiscal year, so June and July are out, and August is difficult. Our son is an excellent student, so we pull him out for one week a year for vacation. While there may be other ways to bond, as another poster has stated, I don't think a week is going to make that big a difference. I personally think that taking one week a year to show my son that our family is important to all of us is a lesson well learned, and is just as important as anything he is learning in school. That being said, we ALWAYS bring his homework with, and we make sure it is done, and we still get the letter from the district that the absence is unexcused.

My advice is to do what is best for your family. You have one life to live and if that is what works for you and your child, then do it. The memories last a lifetime. You are not going to get to your grave and say "sure am glad I didn't take my child out of shool in 2013. No, you are going to think "sure am glad I spent that magical cruise with my child". My DH is wayyyy against missing school for vacations.......guess it goes without saying that we don't agree on this LOL! Our girls do have a short week this fall, and he is finally coming around to maybe letting them miss a few days for vacation.

I hope it works out perfectly for you. You are the parent, YOU know best. <thumbs up goes here!>

Kbrush said:
I think there are times when time spent together as a family in a relaxing manner IS more important than school. If it truly feels as if it is genuinely more important than the school days missed then that is a good indication of whether its OK to go.

I took my daughter out of school in 2nd Grade to go to WDW in October because the grandparents were taking ALL the first cousins. My DD is adopted, I'm a single mom, and my parents are dead. This was my brother's kids and his wife's parents and siblings who have all embraced my daughter and myself as part of their clan. It was VERY important that we went because they hasn't thought to invite us two years previously.

I am taking my daughter out next year for two days because we are moving and switching schools and want to spend time with two best friends who are also adopted. We will not have seen them for awhile and all want to try to maintain the friendships as the family histories are very similar and the friendships are emotionally supportive for the girls.

I would not skip school to take my DD on vacation just for fun or to save money.

I agree, but most families don't have the finances to go on vacation only when school is out. My family would not be able to afford a disney cruise if we didn't go in October, while my son is in school. So sometimes saving money should definitely trump a few days of school...in my opinion anyways.

We do not pull our kids out of school for vacations because we feel that would send our kids the wrong message that vacation is more important than school.

Personally, I think sometimes it can be. And like a PP said, taking a week off of school is hardly sending a message that school doesn't matter. Instead, it can send the message that sometimes family matters more than school, especially when it's the only time a family can afford (either in time or money) a trip.

To the OP, only you (and your state laws, apparently) can decide what's best for your child. Personally, I say go for it!

You'll find very strong opinions on both sides of this topic, but no one should make this decision for you. This is a personal decision. You need to make the decision that is best for you and your family. :goodvibes

I have no problem taking my DD out of school this October for a cruise. A week will not make or break the school year. Perfect attendance is highly overrated. She will be in 7th grade and any work she will miss I will personally help her with, if she needs it. Sometimes, kids need to unwind during the school year. Breaks seem to have gotten shorter since I was a kid.

I've taken my son out of school for at least a week for the last 7 years. He just missed a week for a cruise in Jan, another cruise last month, and will miss a week in November for yet another cruise. He hasn't missed the honor roll yet. School is important, but life experiences are more important in my opinion. I NEVER missed school as a kid. Always had perfect attendance, yet it did nothing for me. As an adult, no one cares that I was in school everyday. I guarantee that my son will remember these vacations a lot more than a random week in 8th grade. With that said, he doesn't miss school for anything else. Since he's been blessed with intelligence, anything less than the honor roll is unsatisfactory. We highly value school, but we also value enjoying life. My wife and I have chosen careers that afford us the opportunity to vacation when we choose, and we choose to vacation during non peak times. Hopefully, he'll follow suit.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter