Publix is here! Publix is here!

QueenIsabella

DIS Veteran
They've been building a new Publix, right up the road from us. While it's been interesting, watching it come together, I've been eagerly awaiting the actual opening, which I THOUGHT would be in October. Well, I just got a mailing, saying they're opening next week!

Now, I shopped Publix on WDW trips, so I'm somewhat familiar, but I'm hoping you Budget Board people can help me with what's good--and not-so-good--about shopping there. My other choices are Food Lion, Harris-Teeter, and Lowe's. And Super Walmart. Rumor has it that an Aldi's will be moving in nearby, but not until next year.

So, hit me with it: what are the best deals?

ehhhhh. The publix brands are ok. They are known for their great deli selections and the best sandwiches. I go at least 3x a week for a publix sandwich. Their bakery is decent and small children get a free cookie at the deli. Produce is expensive along with the meats. To be honest it's a lot like any other supermarket (except walmart where I will not step foot into). What is popping up around here more is Trader Joes which I like.

I shop almost exclusively at Publix (and Aldi), and find that their private brand is pretty good - but they frequently have BoGo offers on national brands, which makes them cheaper. Their meat is good, although expensive. Their deli/bakery is what really stands out. They have the BEST sandwiches and fried chicken, and I won't buy a birthday cake anywhere else. I think their customer service sets them apart as well - everyone is always super friendly and will go out of their way to help you. A few weeks ago, I needed a loaf of bread (bakery), but they weren't cooled yet. The bakery guy put one in the freezer for me, so it would be cool enough to slice by the time I was ready to check out. :)

I shop almost exclusively at Publix (and Aldi), and find that their private brand is pretty good - but they frequently have BoGo offers on national brands, which makes them cheaper. Their meat is good, although expensive. Their deli/bakery is what really stands out. They have the BEST sandwiches and fried chicken, and I won't buy a birthday cake anywhere else. I think their customer service sets them apart as well - everyone is always super friendly and will go out of their way to help you. A few weeks ago, I needed a loaf of bread (bakery), but they weren't cooled yet. The bakery guy put one in the freezer for me, so it would be cool enough to slice by the time I was ready to check out. :)
Keep in mind that they use crisco in their buttercream frosting. We likes the whipped frosting cakes they make there.

I don't buy much in the way of groceries at Publix unless it's a BOGO, well-priced produce (their produce is really good in our local area), or something obscure that only they happen to stock.

What I DO buy is those darn addictive deli sandwiches! There's always one on special for $5.99 and it's enough to feed 2 hearty eaters. They're so good and such a great deal.

Publix brand ice cream is also very good and still packed as half gallons. We've never found one we didn't like!

Good prices to be found on their weekly sales (bogos as previously mentioned) but we don't shop there. Their organic is limited and very expensive. Their produce is the same. I'd say we go there less than once a year.

You can create an account and "download" digital coupons. You then claim them by putting your phone # in at checkout. They also have a small sale & coupon flier at the front you can pick up on the way in for additional coupons. Most weeks I save between $3-8 using the digital coupons. As others have mentioned, the BOGO's are good deals and if an item rings up at a wrong price you get it free.

Just moved to Georgia. Kroger and Publix are the supermarket choices here. They are right down the road from me. I have leaned towards Kroger but I will go to Publix when they have something on sale that I want. For example, they are having Purex detergent. BOGO and I also have a $1 off coupon. I don't buy meat at either Krogers or Publix, I get that at Costco and I do buy organic. Our realtor told us when moving here, that Kroger is known for their better prices and Publix is know for better customer service.

I like to shop at publix when I vacation in Florida. In those cases, I'm not really looking for sales. Just buying from a grocery store and eating some meals on our condo is savings enough. I like their deli and I will buy their cut up fruits just for convenience. It's always good. The people in the deli are always nice and helpful

I like to shop at publix when I vacation in Florida. In those cases, I'm not really looking for sales. Just buying from a grocery store and eating some meals on our condo is savings enough. I like their deli and I will buy their cut up fruits just for convenience. It's always good. The people in the deli are always nice and helpful

That's how it was with me, up until now. I shopped Publix while in the WDW area, but then I'm not looking at weekly specials or saving a few bucks. Since moving to NC, I haven't found a fabulous source for inexpensive groceries--I get meat mostly from Sam's Club (or shop specials), everything else I get at Food Lion or Walmart. Or the farmer's market, this time of year. It's still an adjustment for me--since when are peaches cheaper than apples? What the heck is okra?Or pimento cheese? Why do they take fried chicken so seriously? Are biscuits really such a big deal?

There prices are higher but have unmatched customer service! I like their soup (from deli) on days we don't want to cook.

They will walk you to your car, loan you umbrellas, assist you shopping, etc. They support high school employees with college scholarships and hire at age 14 in Florida. I heard they look at school grades as a hiring requirement for the 14 year olds.

We have a local elderly Veteran with prosthetic leg. He drives up in his golf cart and sits there until they bring the motorized shopping cart. They know when he's coming so he doesn't sit long. Although I think he sits there and people watches by choice sometimes.

I shop publix, commissary, or target.

I only like Publix for Boar's Head brand items at the deli and their bakery. I find them to be so darn expensive compared to other places I shop. I truly dislike their produce department. They tend to pre-package up all the produce instead of it being loose like other stores and they are so expensive. I prefer picking out my own squash, green beans, cucumbers, etc! They charge $4.99lb for organic apples, but I can drive a few minutes further and get them at Whole Foods for $1.99lb. Their meat prices are high as well.

I hear all these things about these stores. I should look them up online and see what they are like. I am surprised the west coast has not gotten any of these stores.

I hear all these things about these stores. I should look them up online and see what they are like. I am surprised the west coast has not gotten any of these stores.
You all have vons which I found to be similar to Kroger

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter