Public affection

Discussion in 'Gay and Lesbian at Disney' started by Lexx1214, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Jason_V

Jason_V Mouseketeer

Absolutely agreed. It's actually my rule for being anywhere in public. There are things that are appropriate and things that aren't. It goes far beyond PDA...it goes to the clothes you're wearing, the words coming out of your mouth, your attitude, etc. If I'm in a restaurant, I'm not going to drop 18 F bombs. If I'm in a bar, you can bet I'll feel okay doing it.

Summer2018 and DizMinMouse like this.
  2. MaryLovesPoohBear

MaryLovesPoohBear DIS Veteran

So, I am about as conservative as they come. I grew up Catholic, and I still am. I work at my local Parish.

Two boys (or young men) holding hands, hugging or a quick peck isn't going to be enough for me to notice. My husband and I do the same thing. Live and let live.

We saw one couple almost sitting on each other, with tongues down each others throat, on a ride. I don't care what sex the couple is, that isn't appropriate outside your hotel room.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. cj.scribbles

cj.scribbles Earning My Ears

Little late to comment but as a Florida native, Florida in general isn't actually very conservative. It's almost like the further south you go the more north it feels like. We see so many different types of tourists from every place on the planet that everyone is a little numb to things. It's why Florida has that meme of us seeing a gator on the street and passing by like it's nothing, we just aren't phased by anything.

Also Florida is huge on the LGBT community. It's a little crazy to be honest. There's a ton of gay bars and even a LGBTQ community just for Disney CMs. There's a great deal of LGBTQ+ Disney CM's, naturally, and beyond that it's super diverse. You're more likely to get comments from people that are visiting from Georgia or Mississippi than anyone that lives in Florida. We're either young adults trying to make a living or retirees lol.

5. arminnie

arminnie <font color=blue>Tossed the butter kept the gin<br

I’m late too. I am a very conservative Republican. I do not care at all if I see two people (of any sexual preference) displaying physical affection unless it crosses the line into sexual activity.

Holding hands, hugging, quick pecks are okay even if it clear that the two are a same sex couple. Long passionate kisses, grinding hugs and other sexually charged interactions that imply the couple needs a room are not my cup of tea. No matter what the sexual orientation of the couple.

It’s the activity that may be offensive not the sexual orientation of the participants.

6. Justplainchy

Justplainchy Mouseketeer

I know this post is very old, but chiming in for anyone who reads it late: my wife and I went to Disney for a short trip in Dec. of 2018 -- we are an affectionate couple (on the PG level - hand holding, light pecks, etc) but we didn't meet any negativity about it. We have memory maker and were on the hunt for a christmas card photo, so we had quite a few photopass photos where we posed by kissing or in traditional "couple" shots. The only reaction we had from cast members and (one time) other guests was "awws" and support. We didn't ever feel afraid to show affection. As long as you're not grinding in public, you should be fine!

cj.scribbles, ncc1701, tarak and 2 others like this.
  7. DizMinMouse

DizMinMouse Mouseketeer

This was so nice to read. This will be our first trip to Disney where we aren’t still in the closet. I really enjoy the idea of not fighting the impulse to want to hold hands occasionally or take a cute photopass photo. I still carry a little fear but reading notes like yours & the others on here really help so much. Thank you everyone for posting your positive thoughts & experiences.

kboo, Summer2018 and Justplainchy like this.
  8. Justplainchy

Justplainchy Mouseketeer

I wanted to throw in some of our photopass photos we got here to show what I meant. One of them even includes the "mistletoe" magic shot that we didn't have to ask for, the cast member just realized we were a couple and offered it to us. Really all we heard from the photopass photographers the whole trip was "you guys are so cute!" so definitely don't worry about being a couple in public.
    PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_414871088648.JPG PhotoPass_Visiting_STUDIO_414838783105.JPG PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_414846061299.JPG

Also: my wife pointed out that we have come out to every princess that we met (I love princesses, we've met a lot) because they ask if we're sisters a lot and we say "no! we're married!" and they've all been really positive in their reactions. Didn't even have that awkward "processing" moment: they just went into "oh! congratulations!" or talking about their princes. I know they have to work with a diverse clientele during meet and greets, but they definitely weren't negative to us in any way! I hope your trip is amazing :)

9. DizMinMouse

DizMinMouse Mouseketeer

YOU GUYS ARE TOO ADORABLE!!!! I love your pics so much!! A big LOL to “...we have come out to every princess..”. :D
    The sister thing is so funny. People always assume we are sisters too! Thanks so much again for sharing all of this!! I’m really excited for our next trip. We finally got married recently so we must of course celebrate at WDW.

Justplainchy and Summer2018 like this.
  10. Summer2018

Summer2018 DIS Veteran

My daughter (20) and her friend (19) shared a room across the hall from us at the Polynesian in July. Age was not an issue.

Justplainchy and DizMinMouse like this.
  11. Tsk1015

Tsk1015 Earning My Ears

My wife and i go to disney every year we are affectionate at home but i know people have different views than other which i totally understand. But if something doesn't worry you or your son and his bf don't let it affect you or your trip, i personally am not over affectionate besides handholding in the parks because i don't want to be like most of the heterosexual couples that are practically making out in line or such because that alone makes anyone uncomfortable personally. But ive never had any issue do i notice ppl stare time to time but im paying to be there just like them so i don't worry myself or pay no mind. However my wife and i was in epcot one time and there was girl and boy just walking behind these two men that you could clearly tell was gay but they were not even together so they weren't holding hands or anything and they are clearly making fun of them. Honestly it upset me, i understand everyone doesn't think different but come on its 2019 and if you do not approve of gay lifestyle then fine thats you but do not be crude and rude especially clearly to anyone that is paying attention. So long story short there are people in wdw that could be unpleasant or stare but if you or your son does not mind pay no mind have a good time, you can't control others. I hope you all have a great time if you have no went yet!

12. BasilofBakeryStreet

BasilofBakeryStreet Earning My Ears

This is definitely a late reply, but my wife and I are so comfortable at Disney. We're not huge into public PDA, mostly because we live in a somewhat conservative area, but we don't usually feel awkward in the slightest at Disney. We've held hands and given each other a quick kiss. When we went for our honeymoon, the cast members were excited to pose us like any other couple. The only time that we had a negative experience was at Biergarten. The family we were sat with scooted their chairs away from us and treated us like a disease. BUT the cast member who was waiting on our table was amazing. He chatted with us and made sure that we felt comfortable and happy. It was wonderful. He really went out of his way to make a point that we were just any other family. That is the one and only time we've had a bad experience as a gay couple at Disney, and we've been 5 times together. We're not afraid to just be us there, and I love that it's such a welcoming environment to anyone. If you guys have gone, I hope you had a wonderful trip! If not, I hope you have a great time. You sound so supportive of your son and his boyfriend. That will make all the difference if anyone even tries to be judgey.

Justplainchy likes this.
  13. old lady

old lady DIS Veteran

As long as it isn’t too suggestive and it is discreet. It is also gross when heterosexual couples make out in front of everyone in the park.

Hoosier John likes this.
  14. Hwilliams602

Hwilliams602 —❤️ALL THINGS DISNEY❤️—

My fiancé and myself have never had any issues. We are annual pass holders who frequent the parks.

SaraJR likes this.
  15. gmi3804

gmi3804 DIS Veteran

Agreed about PDAs in public, gay or straight. Keep it “cool” and everyone should be OK.

16. SaraJR

SaraJR Mouseketeer

Hey I wouldn't worry look up Disneyland Fancis he is a gay insta celeb who does all things Disney, even characters are good with it. When are you going they have gay days during pride

17. Magical2017

Magical2017 DIS Veteran

If seeing people happy and in love upsets people, that is on them. Couples hold hands. If people don't like it, they can look away.

18. arminnie

arminnie <font color=blue>Tossed the butter kept the gin<br

This is 2019 - virtually everyone that I know now looks at someone being gay or one of the other initials as "so what". As I stated in an earlier post I am a 73 year old conservative Republican who lives in the deep south. I realize that many people want to "hate" me because I do not conform to their political agenda.

But seriously - in this day in age - who really thinks that gay people are any different from non gay people? People are people. Who one chooses to love is no more different that what one's skin color is. And even though things are much more open than they were 50 years ago - I found that even 50 years ago there was a lot of tolerance even if it was not as open as it should have been.

50 years ago there was this sort of semi being open. It was an often non acknowledged thing about someone being gay even though "everyone sort of knew". Now everyone knows and no one cares.

19. Hoosier John

Hoosier John DIS Veteran

First, I hope y'all had a great trip!
    Second, it seems you may have started quite the conversation
    Third, many quoted above have already expressed my thoughts

And as a heterosexual father, I would suggest:

I expect my kids to encounter and accept ALL people, and have seen no bias out of them so far, and Disney is part of their education.
    I would however suggest that if a couple were concerned about proper public behavior, to adapt to what maybe 95% of other couples behavior is.
    If a couple fits into norms, then are they not normal?