Proof of another DVC at the Contemporary!

I just can't see it. The Contemporary already looks small next to the current building. Build another one and it will get lost in the mix and since the Contemporary is (basically) their signature building i don't see it happening. It is more likely they would build another half arc next to BLT and have an S shaped building. Then half of that building would be MK view rooms and the other half lake view. My vote is for typo...

I do not believe this is a typo, no way could that pass marketing, and editing.

AND>>>>> I do not beileve anything (EVEN if it was planned up front) will happen until the 1st BLT sells out. (OR SUPER close) Being able to sell the last points is an easy sell for guides. We only have 2 UY left, and will be sold out in 3 months. You'de better buy now, is way easier than.. well actually we have 3 more years of supply as we are building another building.. but buy now anyway?

If it is profitable, they will build it, and if they can make more $$ building at the Poly.. they will build it there. If starting a new one 1/4th a mile down the road ideally results in more $$.. they will go down the lake.. It is a business. Where ever they make the most $$... They will build. It is selling, and resale it is selling way more than, AK, SSR (as prices are higher on resale.) .. It is a logical transition, with way less MK views.. it will make some owners sad. .. With more standand it will make others happier, and in the end if you already bought, well you already bought. Now onto the next customer. .. oh and don't worry we will fix the points to help you want and need an add on that you didn't know you wanted.

I don't see a second tower happening. The south wing is geared for the convention goers. I'd bet on a Poly or GF DVC first.

I don't see it as a joke. They knocked down the north wing to build BLT why not do the same with the south wing. If you look at the picture you can see that the 2 towers would be the same distance to CR. I stayed at BLT in FEBRUARY. My view was the south garden wing. I would think everytime I looked at it, how old and outdated it seemed.

DVC%20Bay%20Lake%20Tower%2004.jpg

I see it as a joke. The idea that the sloppy signage in the Magical Express bus area is "proof" there will be a second tower is just silly.

Why not do the same? They might eventually. I stayed at BLT in November and my view was categorized standard but overlooked the Magic Kingdom. I'm guessing a second tower on the site of the south wing would not offer MK views. Unless they built it taller (which would be crazy since it would look out of balance), then they'll have the same number of units but will unlikely be able to sell as many points without the MK view rooms. Perhaps they could balance out the number of points so that the second tower was as profitable as the first...but there's a possibility it wouldn't be. They'd also likely need to expand some services...not sure if this would happen or not.

Also, note that in this map (and if you check satellite views on Google Maps) that the piece of land BLT is built on is larger than the area the south wing now occupies. It doesn't look to me as if the southern pad of land could accommodate a building the same size as BLT.

I see it as a joke. The idea that the sloppy signage in the Magical Express bus area is "proof" there will be a second tower is just silly.

Why not do the same? They might eventually. I stayed at BLT in November and my view was categorized standard but overlooked the Magic Kingdom. I'm guessing a second tower on the site of the south wing would not offer MK views. Unless they built it taller (which would be crazy since it would look out of balance), then they'll have the same number of units but will unlikely be able to sell as many points without the MK view rooms. Perhaps they could balance out the number of points so that the second tower was as profitable as the first...but there's a possibility it wouldn't be. They'd also likely need to expand some services...not sure if this would happen or not.

Also, note that in this map (and if you check satellite views on Google Maps) that the piece of land BLT is built on is larger than the area the south wing now occupies. It doesn't look to me as if the southern pad of land could accommodate a building the same size as BLT.

Who said it had to be the same size as BLT, and who said it had to have MK views????

Yes. This is one of the signs that directs people to go into the correct lineup at Magical Express. Still only 1 tower out there as of yesterday.

Oh, I knew it was a joke, I just didn't know if you knew it was a joke. ;)

Heck, given that Magical Express is operated by Mears, for all we know, Mears makes the signage and it's their typo, not Disney's. Not likely, but I suppose possible. (it looks like Disney-made signage to me, though)

Who said it had to be the same size as BLT, and who said it had to have MK views????

I agree. There is nothing that says a second tower would have to be as big as the current tower, nor that it offer MK views. There are all sorts of ways that Disney could make a second tower very appealing. Instead of offering MK views, a second tower could have a concierge level, much like at AKV. I could see Disney offering special dinner/fireworks cruises on Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon that are available only to the concierge level guests. In addition, a second tower might offer other amenities, such as an indoor pool, or an adult-only pool and spa area, especially if it was placed on the roof (Remember all the chatter that arose on these boards when the Disney Files magazine had a photo that "showed" a pool on BLT's roof?). And, of course, these amenities would be available only to DVC members staying on points at BLT.

*IF* a second tower is built, who says it will be DVC? There was a lot of talk over who would get the first tower. Maybe the second tower would go to the Contemporary to make-up for the loss of the north wing. That would would keep DVCers, DVC and the Contemporary people happy, right?

I do not believe this is a typo, no way could that pass marketing, and editing.

Remember that Disney does not own Magical Express. It is owned by Mears.

Mears likely does not have the marketing expertise that Disney has and made a simple mistake.

I'm hoping the next Villas will be at the Poly. Tropical theme for those of us not willing to take a 15 hour trip to Hawaii.

Signs at WDW are the true way to find out what is on their drawing board. For example, I took a picture of this sign at the Polynesian of the 'OHANA restaurant in December 2006. It is clear that they eventually plan to make it into an Irish Restaurant with the name O'HANA. This would be the perfect week to do it too. Time will tell. ;)

100_0153.jpg
[/IMG]

HBC

I could also forsee problems with members who bought at the North tower, just to get the 11 month booking window (like I did). They build another tower, have it be the same resort, and then there would be twice as many members be eligible to book the MK views at 11 months out.

But think of all those members who are likewise unhappy about not having enough standard views to book at BLT. One of the most complained about aspects about BLT is the fact that the lake and MK views use a ton of points. A second BLT tower offering point charts more in line with the other DVCs would make a lot of DVC owners thrilled. I will be interesting to see how this develops in the next year or so. :thumbsup2

I don't see a second tower happening.
Funny, I can't see it NOT happening. BLT has been so popular, and profitable!, I cant imaging Disney not building more. Don't know exactly where they will put it, but where there is will, and $$$ to be made, there's a way.

No one but me. It certainly doesn't have to offer MK views, which is a good thing because it probably couldn't. IF it were smaller and IF it didn't have MK views, there would be fewer points available to sell. Doesn't seem like a very good choice at this point for DVC when I'm sure there are other locations that would be both more appealing and more profitable.

But think of all those members who are likewise unhappy about not having enough standard views to book at BLT. One of the most complained about aspects about BLT is the fact that the lake and MK views use a ton of points. A second BLT tower offering point charts more in line with the other DVCs would make a lot of DVC owners thrilled. I will be interesting to see how this develops in the next year or so. :thumbsup2
If there is demand and they can make it work they will, SSR did not start out as big as it is now. I can see it happening, actually makes sense if it would work out. A soft ground just means more expense not that it can't be done there is not a lot of bedrock in Fla so most tall buildings have deep reinforced footings. Having said all that I'm not laying bets based on a sign made by a sign company for a third party providder that have a typo.

I honestly don't see them tearing down the South Garden Wing for a few reasons. Unlike the current Bay Lake Tower building they couldn't build another skybridge to the 4th floor because of Chef Mickey's, the Contempo Cafe and the Outer Rim Lounge. The South Garden Wing rooms got fully renovated along with the rooms in the Tower, so you think they were going to spend all that money and all of the sudden get rid of them? Finally it would make it even harder to get a reservation for the Contemporary Tower without the South Garden Wing because it's already a very popular location and they also host a lot of convention groups, so that's why I don't see this being true.

*IF* a second tower is built, who says it will be DVC? There was a lot of talk over who would get the first tower. Maybe the second tower would go to the Contemporary to make-up for the loss of the north wing. That would would keep DVCers, DVC and the Contemporary people happy, right?

They don't need to make up the loss of the north wing. One of the reasons that DVC was built there was because the CR was less popular than other resorts and often had deep discounts on the rooms. They also did the same thing with SSR. Disney Institute was also less popular, so they rebuilt it as DVC. I wish they had done the same with the Disney Inn instead of selling it off to the military (not that our military doesn't deserve a lovely resort). I loved that hotel and it was in a great location between the original golf courses.

And, of course, these amenities would be available only to DVC members staying on points at BLT.

Highly unlikely that Disney would restrict high end amenities to DVC only at any resort. That didn't work very well at SSR with tons of DVC members using the Spa locker rooms, sauna, whirlpool etc. without paying any extra for the privilege. Now DVC has 24/7 access to the wieght room only and everything else is fee for use. Besides, Disney already has a high end spa just a two stops away on the monorail at GF.

I thought I had read that the south-side would not support a tower?

I think the question is if a tower can be built cost effectively. Any site can support building as long as you can get footings down to the bedrock and as long as you don't encroach wetlands (Disney can get around the wetlands by filling one area and excavating another to replace any "lost" wetlands). A Disney engineer did a presentation to analysts back when the Grand Floridian was proposed. His materials (this was before PowerPoints when you had printed charts) showed by color code the degree of difficulty in building around the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. The GF site was a green, from the Contemporary to the campgrounds (where WL was built) was orange, and the Contemporary to the TTC was red. The red area was due to the number of piers needed, possible monorail relocation, and limits to the height of buildings in that area (did Disney have a zoning master plan for WDW that they have to live by?).

I have seen nothing as comprehensive as that presentation in the age of the internet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter