Project Gemini Trademarks?

I don't thing it would be wise to split the parks and call one anything that ends in "land".
In Disney vernacular, one of the meanings of "land" is a section of a park. Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, Dinoland, etc. True, Disneyland itself ends in "land", but it was not broken up into separate parks either.
I know, a point that is irrelevant to the overall business model and philosophy...

I don't think it's all that irrelevant. Disney is VERY image conscious. Whether or not they try to perpetuate the images is another debate entirely. But something this fundamental and Disney-ubiquitous to the overall Disney concept is pretty important. As veterans, most of us will certainly know the difference. Newcomers will also see the difference, even if for only one reason....their first day WILL be at the Magic Kingdom. They will get a park map and see LANDS. Any future reference to lands will then be ingrained as separate parts of a whole.
Your land comment is inseparable (in the short term) from the Disney image.

And, call me silly, but I would think that Celebration, FL, should be called Epcot, since it actually IS a community, if not quite Walt's intention. 'Course, the real Epcot wasn't quite Walt's image either, but that's another debate.

My .02 here...........

If WS (Global Village?) was separated from the other half of Epcot it would seem like Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island "The Sequel". (Although DTD used to be called Disney Village {some sort of odd parallel with Global Village} way back when just the "Empress Lilly" {Fulton's Crab House} was virtually the only thing there with a few gift shops.) It would seem that WS would need the addition of a few more rides, stage shows, etc. to make it compare with the other theme parks on property. Maybe they could just make WS and the Boardwalk area one huge entertainment complex with a hotel and DVC property right in the middle of all the action--like the Hotel Miracosta at Tokyo DisneySea--just kidding! Even with 'Project Gemini', FW (Discoveryland) would also need to add more attractions--neither side of Epcot would be more than a half-day park, IMHO. I can't imagine how Disney could successfully hope to market this concept to the public after Epcot having been one park since it's opening day.:rolleyes:

Anyway, it should be interesting to see if this idea actually is granted legs.................I certainly hope NOT!!

Kim

P.S. Jason, I agree with regards to Celebration--although the final product is certainly different (no sci-fi look at all in Celebration) from Walt's concept sketches!!

I made the comment (suggestion?) quite a while ago (when all these Epcot rumors started, before the term "Project Gemini" was even coined) that seperating Epcot in two and making World Showcase a Downtown Disney-type venue wouldn't be such a bad idea. For starters, World Showcase doesn't have all that many attractions. It's mostly shops and restaurants. Where do they get off charging a fee to get into what is essentially a mall? Do we get charged to get into Disney's West End, the Boardwalk, or the Marketplace? We only have to pay to get into Pleasure Island, and then only at night because of the shows and dance clubs. But I was rapped on the knuckles by die-hard Epcot fans when I suggested this and was told in no uncertain terms by someone who seemed to know what he was talking about that Epcot wasn't going to be split in two.

Another thing to consider... if Epcot were split in two, that would leave the paying part of the theme park with only one "land" (Future World). That makes no sense... does it?

Sure, making World Showcase a free venue would drive up attendance at the restaurants and probably increase sales at the shops, but that doesn't address the issue of the rides and attractions that *do* exist there (chief among them are The American Experience and the Maelstrom). I suppose this means that World Showcase would remain a gated venue, but perhaps at a reduced fee? Dunno. I'm sure some at Disney is hard at work thinking about this right now.

Mop

Mop, If they split the parks in two the concern is the added cost if they want to charge for both parks

:bounce:

If I was in charge of the theme parks, I would spend money and build a new ride every year....people would flock and spend their money....

I would start in Epcot and make a change in the Universe of Energy...would be a good place to start...lol

Hey, my family loves the Universe of Energy!!! Well, could have something to do with the fact that most of the men in my family either did or do work for Exxon!! Actually, my five year old would love it regardless. You see, she is a dino fanatic (I am pretty sure she is not the only preschooler who falls in this catagory) but she is too young/small for the Dinosaur ride at AK. It really is one of her favorite things at WDW. And, you have to give Exxon/Mobil credit for not pulling out like some other sponsors have. Can't they just add new stuff without getting rid of older things that many people still enjoy? I like the new names Discoveryland and Global Village(has a warm, fuzzy PC tone to it) but I feel splitting the two would be a huge mistake. Attendance is down at EPCOT already, and people are gonna pay for two seperate gates??? I doubt it. Just my opinion....Lacee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter