Probably my last time, need some help please

There are also some dessert/foreword cruises if you want to consider enjoying from the water. Never done it, but always thought it sounded fun. And I'm sure crowds would not be an issue. Have a wonderful trip!

I am so sorry for the situation you are in with your health. Your comment about getting bad news about your dad on your last trip really hit home for me. During our Disney trip in 2013, I got a call that my dad had a very serious heart attack. He ended up surviving it but it was a very heart wrenching moment, which I am sure you experienced as well. We went back for our first trip since that day this past January. I remember exactly where we were when we got the call and I felt some slight discomfort in January when we passed the restaurant we were at when we got the news. If you remember visual details like I do, you might have a similar experience or it may at least pop into your mind. The discomfort passed pretty quickly though once we moved out of area of the restaurant and the rest of the trip was wonderful!

As far as extra special things you can do, I was recently looking for similar information and came across Disney's Cake Hotline. You can order a personalized cake to be sent during dinner at Disney table-service restaurants or to hotel rooms. If they are dessert eaters, this might be a nice surprise that you could personalize with a "thank you." There may also be 3rd party companies who can do this as well.

I hope you have a magical trip!

Last year at this time, I was fighting cancer. I don't know how your endurance is, but I wasn't able to spend more than a couple hours in a park at a time.

Listen to your body. I know when I pushed myself too much one day, I'd pay for it the next.

My family was great and supportive. We made some great memories at WDW, Universal, IOA, and Sea World.

Take lots of family pictures! Enjoy each every minute!

To make your trip easier, I think that you should apply for a DAS pass. I'm sure that there is more complete information on being granted this accommodation in the Disabilities section of this forum, but basically, if you tire easily and/or can't stand for any length of time, it will help.
The DAS is not for stamina issues. The OP will be advised by Guest Relations to rent a wheelchair or ECV.
How can you be discouraging this poster from at least checking out the possibility of a DAS?
S/he is welcome to request, but where you see discouraging, many others see realistic.

My comments are in response to your second question. If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you have an honest conversation with your family about your endurance and how it might impact your vacation. I will share my experience with my mom as an example.

There were times when she needed to sit down and rest. She would tell the rest of us to continue with whatever we were doing and come back when we were done and that she would be fine. Other times, she would wear down and need to go to the resort and said she would be fine by herself. In the evenings, she might not be feeling well and want to stay in the room, but encouraged us to continue with our plans. The problem was that we didn't know if she was being selfless and didn't want to inconvenience us or if she really didn't need anyone with her. Sometimes she needed someone to stay with her and other times she didn't, but we didn't know. This sometimes left her alone in a situation where she needed assistance or some TLC and left us feeling guilty and worried, because if we didn't agree to continue without her, she wouldn't rest because she didn't want to spoil our vacation.

So, please consider ironing out these types of scenarios with your family beforehand. It might make it a happier vacation for you and them. You are obviously a thoughtful person and the trip you are planning sounds wonderful. I hope you have an awesome vacation. God bless you.

OP, if you're still reading here, please go explain your needs to Guest Relations if you feel a DAS would help. As no one knows your exact medical condition, no one can say anything as to whether you will get one or not. But I know for a fact that Guest Relations wants to help, and if you feel it would help, then ask for it.

The DAS is not for stamina issues. The OP will be advised by Guest Relations to rent a wheelchair or ECV.

S/he is welcome to request, but where you see discouraging, many others see realistic.
Nobody here knows exactly what the OPs limitations are. I know I don't, but would like to think they would seriously consider doing something for a person with stage 4 lung cancer. I really don't see any reason why she shouldn't start in Guest Relations and at least see what they have to say.

Do you work in Guest Relations granting DAS requests?
Nope. Primarily from spending time at WDW with mobility and stamina issues, as well as time on the recommended disABILITIES forum, I am aware that such issues are addressed by advising the guest to rent a mobility device. The disABILITIES forum participants will reiterate this, and may even advise the OP to get a rollator (rentable via Orlando Medical Rentals, but probably cheaper overall on Amazon.)

Nobody is telling her not to request it; just being, again, realistic.

I haven't been to Disney World since 2009, when I got a call that my dad had fallen and would never get up. Now I have stage 4 lung cancer (from a gene mutation, not smoking) and want one last trip. I just got 2 rooms at Coronado Springs for my sister's family and me for 4 days the 1st weekend in Nov. We have planned our magic bands. I also got reservations for Fantasmic dessert party and MK dessert party in the plaza.

1. Are the views in the plaza at MK worth a $413 dessert ? When I lived in Florida and we had passes, we would just stake spots in front of the castle. My thought is we are there on a weekend, it will be crowded. And although I am going to rent a wheelchair, I know I will be tired. Just seems like less hassle. But if the view is bad, I will take the hassle.

2. What else can I do to make this trip easier or special? I'm willing to spend some extra money to make things flow a little easier for my caregivers (my sister and her family) and maybe a little special for them as a thank you.

3. Do they still have backlot tours @ MK ?(no, not the MGM tour ride)

Thank you in advance for any advice.
I am so sorry about your illness.:eeyore:

1. Yes, the dessert party is absolutely worth it for a special trip like this. WDW is much more crowded now than it was in 2009. You'll be stuck in a crush of people & won't see much without the dessert party. Get tickets with Plaza Garden seating (not Tomorrowland Terrace) as that will get you a perfect view.

2. Maybe go with them to Cirque de Soleil at Disney Springs. It's an amazing show.

3. There are different types of tours you can learn about via the WDW website.

Have a wonderful trip!:tinker:

Hanging out on the DISabilities board does not make one the arbiter of who does and doesn't get a DAS.

I don't think the OP is reading here anymore, but if you are, go ask for one if you need it. And again, I hope you have a magical trip!

Well, this is a little late (embarrassed). Thank you for your advice (and well wishes). We did have a magical time! I did end up with a DAS, because even though I was on a scooter, the sun and heat made it hard to be outside in a line for very long. All the DAS did was allow me to not have to wait in the physical line. Time to come back was the same if I had been in the line. I did go back to the hotel and rest up- great idea, thank you. I thought I wouldn't get so tired being in the scooter. It helped certainly, but still, was I so tired. I think I slept for 3 days straight when we got home! I did stick with Plaza Garden, that was the best thing I have ever done. No worry about where we were going to be 3 hours early. My little grandaughter was able to get some crawling in and energy out! Thank you all again. I did so appreciate the help!

Well, this is a little late (embarrassed). Thank you for your advice (and well wishes). We did have a magical time! I did end up with a DAS, because even though I was on a scooter, the sun and heat made it hard to be outside in a line for very long. All the DAS did was allow me to not have to wait in the physical line. Time to come back was the same if I had been in the line. I did go back to the hotel and rest up- great idea, thank you. I thought I wouldn't get so tired being in the scooter. It helped certainly, but still, was I so tired. I think I slept for 3 days straight when we got home! I did stick with Plaza Garden, that was the best thing I have ever done. No worry about where we were going to be 3 hours early. My little grandaughter was able to get some crawling in and energy out! Thank you all again. I did so appreciate the help!
I'm so glad you had a magical trip with your family! It sounds like a wonderful time. Best wishes to you for your health.

Marla, I am new to board and am just now reading this thread. I am so glad that you and your family were able to go and have such a wonderful time on this trip! And I'm also very glad that you were granted the DAS pass...every little bit helps. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter