Probably my last time, need some help please

Marla A Celeri

Earning My Ears
I haven't been to Disney World since 2009, when I got a call that my dad had fallen and would never get up. Now I have stage 4 lung cancer (from a gene mutation, not smoking) and want one last trip. I just got 2 rooms at Coronado Springs for my sister's family and me for 4 days the 1st weekend in Nov. We have planned our magic bands. I also got reservations for Fantasmic dessert party and MK dessert party in the plaza.

1. Are the views in the plaza at MK worth a $413 dessert ? When I lived in Florida and we had passes, we would just stake spots in front of the castle. My thought is we are there on a weekend, it will be crowded. And although I am going to rent a wheelchair, I know I will be tired. Just seems like less hassle. But if the view is bad, I will take the hassle.

2. What else can I do to make this trip easier or special? I'm willing to spend some extra money to make things flow a little easier for my caregivers (my sister and her family) and maybe a little special for them as a thank you.

3. Do they still have backlot tours @ MK ?(no, not the MGM tour ride)

Thank you in advance for any advice.

1. The views for the Plaza Garden dessert party are great. Plus, the number of people is very limited, so it doesn't get crowded at all. Your family will be able to sit down and relax while they wait. The desserts themselves aren't really anything special, IMO, but it's by far the most pleasant way to enjoy the fireworks. The eating area does tend to get a little chaotic, however, so you might want to arrive at the beginning of the party to avoid some of the crowds.

2. You're so sweet to be thinking about your family/caregivers! What kind of things do they like? Would a nice dinner be something they would enjoy? A tour? A boat cruise? There's a lot of options, so let us know what kind of things you think they might enjoy.

3. Magic Kingdom still has the Keys to the Kingdom tour, which goes backstage a little bit -- you'll see the utilidors and where the parade floats are kept by Splash Mountain. The age limit for that one is 16. There's also the Marceline to Magic Kingdom tour, and that one typically does a behind the scenes look at Haunted Mansion. The age limit for it is 12.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your cancer. I hope you have a wonderful trip, and please post again about this or any other question that we can help you with. :flower3:

I also just booked the MK Plaza dessert party for an upcoming trip, I do not want to battle the crowds and have read many reviews that this is an ideal location for the fireworks. I am sure your family will enjoy both of them!

I'm not very familiar with the tours but there is one at AK that many have posted about.

I wish you a very special trip with your family, filled with magical moments. :hug:pixiedust:

I have watched Happily Ever After from the old Fast Pass viewing area which is pretty similar to the view you will get from the desert party area, and it is a fine view. I think you will be plenty happy there, and glad you aren't battling the crowd!

There are numerous tours in MK that do some behind the scenes stuff. We have done the Steam Train tour, and the Behind the Seeds walking tour. Both were very informative, and enjoyable.

As a PP posted, special things to do in Disney include nice meals, tours, perhaps doing something like La Nouba, which closes in December for good.

If you can manage to do magic early entry do so. There's less crowds and you can get more accomplished.

I agree with previous poster and I would try to get a fastpass for the fireworks viewing instead of the dessert party.

Doing a meal at the Royal Table at MK in the castle is a real treat. It may be too late to secure a reservation now, but if you look everyday you may find a cancellation you can grab.

Epcot has the Food and Wine Festival during your trip. There are concerts you can see during that festival. There are seminars and special parties, too for it.

Animal Kingdom now has a show called River of Lights.

Hope you have a wonderful trip and sorry about your cancer. Prayers to you and yours.

First off, I wish you and your family peace.

To make your trip easier, I think that you should apply for a DAS pass. I'm sure that there is more complete information on being granted this accommodation in the Disabilities section of this forum, but basically, if you tire easily and/or can't stand for any length of time, it will help.

IMO, dessert parties are the most overpriced thing at WDW. If you obtain a DAS pass, you will be able to view HEA, Illuminations and Fantasmic from roped-off sections that are equal to any of the dessert viewing areas. Even without DAS, I think you can find plenty of places to see these shows without spending a lot of extra money. Personally, I would take a signature dinner over a dessert party although I don't know how your appetite is.

Best of luck to you. I hope this trip brings you much joy and peace.

Last edited:
I agree with previous poster and I would try to get a fastpass for the fireworks viewing instead of the dessert party.
There are no longer any FP for fireworks at MK-that was discontinued a while back. They made the old FP area on the right side Of the HuB part of the dessert party. The left side Old FP area is open to all but my understanding is that crowds for the new fireworks show have been large and that often the HUB area fills with people well in advance of the fireworks. To the OP, we are planning to try the dessert party in a few weeks. We have never done it before but we LOVED the old FP area which is where we will be watching it. We simply don't want to have to spend our whole night staking out a good spot (during October/Halloween party season Saturdays at MK are simply a zoo). That being said it is expensive so I completely understand people Suggesting alternatives. This will probably be a one time thing for us just to see the new show.
OP I'm so sorry to hear about your health and I hopewhatever you decide you have an amazing time.

Your goal is making this trip a little easier - and yes - there are some places spending a bit of many can help with that.

1) Yes - the MK dessert parties are WAY over-priced. But - to get out of the crowd and guarantee good viewing - they are great for that. So - I do think you might consider that. I think that's a good family bonding event, too.

2) You might look into using Minnie Van service part of the time. I believe they have one that is accessible.

3) Something special for your caregivers - maybe arrange to have something delivered to their room for when they arrive through Disney floral/gifts? Pricey - but to have something special in your room makes everyone feel good.

Things we did this last trip (short weekend, ages 2-78 with a stroller and a wheelchair - stayed Shades of Green):

I did the terrace level dessert party because I wanted my mom (in the wheelchair) to be able to enjoy the event without the stress of all the people. She doesn't do as well in large crowds as she once did. Was it a lot of money, yes BUT it was priceless watching my parents, and the rest of our party sit and enjoy the treats and fireworks. We stayed in the area for a little while after the fireworks for the crowds to disperse and it really made it much easier.

With a wheelchair - we did not need a guest assistance card (didn't know this until after I had stood in the line but wanted to make certain it wasn't an issue with the chair or her portable oxygen). We were able to take the chair in all of the ques that my mom was interested in riding. If you don't feel like transferring (on rides this is an option), then don't they will make it super easy for you to enjoy the rides with your party. It might take an extra 5 minutes for the right ride vehicle to arrive but it was well worth it.

Transportation - we are bus people, love the buses. This trip we drove. It was easier for us to park our car, know we could leave whenever my mom got tired. This also allowed us to split up. One day I took my parents and the 2 year old back to the resort for a break from the heat and a nap while my sister took the older kids (12/13/25) and did the bigger rides. If they had wanted to come back before we returned they could have on the bus.

Something special for your caregivers - if you did the firework party that would work. You might also get them a little something, maybe a pin or something of a favorite ride that you share or character etc. If your family are big into Christmas decorations, there are blown glass ornaments in the crystal store off on main street that mimic a handful of characters. This might be something they could hang on to and use each year. If you would like to treat them to a meal, highly recommend The Wave - usually reservations are easy to get (night before or even day of) so you can see how your family is feeling.

Having lost my husband recently to brain cancer, I will say that going on these trips and making these memories are a good thing. Peace to you and your family. Try and forget about all the cancer stuff (again speaking from experience here) and enjoy the trip.

First off, I wish you and your family peace.

To make your trip easier, I think that you should apply for a DAS pass. I'm sure that there is more complete information on being granted this accommodation in the Disabilities section of this forum, but basically, if you tire easily and can't stand stand still for any length of time, it will help.

IMO, dessert parties are the most overpriced thing at WDW. If you obtain a DAS pass, you will be able to view HEA, Illuminations and Fantasmic from roped-off sections that are equal to any of the dessert viewing areas. Even without DAS, I think you can find plenty of places to see these shows without spending a lot of extra money. Personally, I would take a signature dinner over a dessert party although I don't know how your appetite is.

Best of luck to you. I hope this trip brings you much joy and peace.

Sorry, but I don't believe DAS can be used in this case. I mean, you can always ask, but it clearly states that it cannot be used for mobility issues that can be resolved by using a wheelchair or other device. (DAS is more aimed at people who cannot WAIT in line, rather than just stand in line. Anxiety, ADHD, autism, etc.) That said, if you perceive a problem with fatigue or standing, for sure rent a motorized wheelchair. We did for my dad last time (he'd been hospitalized just 4 days before our trip) and it made things much smoother. You don't need the DAS for that, just ride the chair up to the accessible entrance and they will take care of you. Best wishes for your trip!

I have no tips because I haven't been to Disney in forever. I just wanted to offer you major hugs.
I have stage 4 colon cancer - it is treatable but cannot be cured but I am
Hanging on to hope this won't be my last time to Disney.
I am also trying to warn myself not to create unrealistic expectations of a magical trip with perfect memories. My daughter will still whine about long lines and my husband will wonder why we have to spend even more money on presents to take home. The magic is there but like some brides before a wedding, I don't want to get wrapped up in making I think perfect and forget to just breathe it all in.

Sorry, but I don't believe DAS can be used in this case. I mean, you can always ask, but it clearly states that it cannot be used for mobility issues that can be resolved by using a wheelchair or other device. (DAS is more aimed at people who cannot WAIT in line, rather than just stand in line. Anxiety, ADHD, autism, etc.) That said, if you perceive a problem with fatigue or standing, for sure rent a motorized wheelchair. We did for my dad last time (he'd been hospitalized just 4 days before our trip) and it made things much smoother. You don't need the DAS for that, just ride the chair up to the accessible entrance and they will take care of you. Best wishes for your trip!
How can you be discouraging this poster from at least checking out the possibility of a DAS? You have no idea of the medical limitations of the OP or whether they would make some accommodation.

praying for you and your family. I wouldn't do a tour just because you are there for a short amount of time and that takes up a lot of time! no matter what you do I hope you have the best time!

OP, I wish you peace and a wonderful trip.

We haven't done this dessert party, but I just wanted to chime in and say that the new fireworks spectacular at Magic Kingdom is truly incredible. We saw it for the first time earlier this month, and we were star struck. The expressions on my kids faces actually brought tears to my eyes. It really is jaw dropping awesome. So I think the dessert party would be totally worth it.

Hi there,

I hope you have the most amazing vacation ever and the memories keep you all warm on the coldest night. (((hugs and prayers)))

I have a few suggestions for you but obviously they might not be to your taste/budget. The first is simply to have a chat to a cast member who is working with whichever character is your favourite. Sometimes a little pixie dust can be sprinkled which results in a few extra minutes or a hard to get experience (eg Donald and Daisy together, or a private room with a character that generally meets in public). This could be your favourite character or that of your family/friends.

Secondly check out the Disney florist page! They do awesome gifts and experiences and perhaps something will appeal to the special people taking care of you. They do very sweet in-room celebrations too based on characters or themes, and have everything from beautiful flowers to spa items, treats and balloons. It's a special moment coming back to the room when it has been 'visited' in your absence - even if you planned it it's still special seeing what's been done!

Another idea is to have a look at the company 'Gifts of a Lifetime'. This is more pricey but woweeee is it worth it. This awesome company come into the parks and arrange unique celebrations just for individual guests and families. It's all planned out in advance and tailored to what you think your group would enjoy, but is a surprise to everyone except the one that has booked it. They often do really amazing scavenger hunts and as you go around they keep an eye on the clues to make sure they aren't interfered with. At the end they hide gifts for your group to find. I've been lucky enough to both receive a gift experience and bestow one and can thoroughly recommend both. :)

In terms of making things easier for you during your trip, there are some threads on here with suggestions of quiet spots for naps and breaks, and even some people's favourite rides for having a quick power nap. Suffering from a few chronic illnesses I can thoroughly recommend the first aid areas who have been wonderfully helpful whenever I have presented myself to them. Once in the Animal Kingdom I pushed too hard and ended up stuck - not well enough to carry on, not well enough to get back to the hotel, and a nap on a bench wasn't helping. First Aid gave me a dark, quiet room, a bed to sleep on and a blanket. They left me for an hour and that got me to a point I could travel back to the hotel without collapsing. So if you're struggling and anything will help you from a lie down to an ice-pack (not saying that will help you, just, make you more comfortable for a bit - please don't think I'm diminishing what you're experiencing) then don't hesitate to go there because they really want to help people.

Depending on your outlook on life and how you're coping with your situation and the trip, you might consider one of the pin badges that say 'I'm celebrating'. I can only imagine that there are times you feel there's little to celebrate but I also know that we can celebrate the ones we love, the opportunity to make memories, or anything else you can think of. These badges are a way to open a dialogue with cast members and who knows, you may give something precious to them in the experience of talking to you, and they might enjoy the chance to make your moment a little more magical.

Hope some of that is useful and sorry it's so long. x

I am terribly sorry for your situation. I hope you find the bit of magic you are looking for. There are lots of good suggestions here. One I think has been overlooked. Photopass. I would get the Photopass package and stop at EVERY photo location you come across. I don't think you will ever have enough pictures to commemorate this special family trip.

Please message me if there is ANY way I can help you plan this trip. I don't have all the answers but I think I can help you find them.

Good Luck, God Bless

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter