Probably a risky topic: kids on planes

Neoshoegal

would rather be in Walt Disney World
We flew out to Orlando last week with VA. 9 hours 30 minutes. We were in PE, in the upper part of the plane. Next to us there was a 2 year old boy, 2 rows in front another boy, just a little bit older. During those 9 hours 30 minutes we didn't get a single minute of peace and quiet. Crying, screaming, running up and down the aisle, climbing onto the furniture, ...
We weren't flying out on vacation, we were going for business so had hoped that by flying PE we'd arrive a bit more rested. This was the worst flight ever! Even with earplugs and noise cancelling headphones, the high pitch screeching sounds still came through.
The parents did seem to realise that we weren't impressed, but didn't care as their kid was ever so cute and couldn't possibly be a nuissance (I actually heard one of them talking in a way that implied this train of thought).

Wouldn't it be possible for the airlines to get a section of the plane for people without kids? :cloud9:

I know how you feel. We usually go with BA, Virgin, KLM hoping that there won't be so many children on the scheduled flights, but its surprising how many there are.

Some are surprisingly good, but there's always just the one that wants to cause a scene and disturb everyone.

It's hopeless trying to rest (never mind sleep). You have my sympathies !!:hug:

When we flew back in October there were several children in PE but much to my delight they were all as good as gold.

I'm not sure if an area without children would work -some adults cause even more problems! On a BA flight my poor dh was sandwiched next to an american lady who needed her seat and half of his. At least in PE you can sit two by two. :rotfl2:

Fly with TCD they have an area for 16+ I think.

Coming from a parent I can only say that I expect ratty children on a flight to Orlando. Its Orlando :confused3 Even P.E has children and I have to say I have seen children in first class. I would imagine it was not only for the parents comfort but bigger seats and bigger areas for the children. I dont think that parents should be penalised for not being able to fly luxury, because of some people who has no children and do not like screaming kids. As I said its Orlando. I expect that.

Having said that I would never let my child scream and run up and down the isle. If my child was in pain and crying. I would at least speak to those other passengers and explain what was wrong. I think some people just let thier children do what they want for an easier flight. We never know there may of been a reason for this that the parents didnt want fellow passengers to know for whatever reason.

Sorry about your flight, but sometimes it goes like that. I had the same a few years ago, but there really isnt much you can do. As a cabin crew member said to another passenger. There isnt much they can do because everyone has paid for thier ticket.

angel, I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed in PE or first. It would just be nice if there would different sections.

Also, if an adult is being annoying/a nuissance, it's a lot easier to complain to a cabin stewart or for them to do something. In this case, it would have been useless as both cabin stewarts in PE seemed to think the kids were adorable.

When we flew back in October there were several children in PE but much to my delight they were all as good as gold.

I'm not sure if an area without children would work -some adults cause even more problems! On a BA flight my poor dh was sandwiched next to an american lady who needed her seat and half of his. At least in PE you can sit two by two. :rotfl2:

Being over weight myself I luckily do not require two seats. Some people have medical problems as to thier weight gain. Its not all about appearance. Sorry to get a little huffy. It makes me mad when people comment about people's weight.

If it was that bad and she was larger than the seat then the airline should of made them pay for an extra seat or be asked to move if there was available seats. Its not that passengers fault.

angel, I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed in PE or first. It would just be nice if there would different sections.

Also, if an adult is being annoying/a nuissance, it's a lot easier to complain to a cabin stewart or for them to do something. In this case, it would have been useless as both cabin stewarts in PE seemed to think the kids were adorable.

I understand that. I dont think this would work. Perhaps the front of the plane just behind first class you might get away with it. Too many families now a days book this upgrade. I am not sure how many couples do?

I think some people could get offended by this - not me!!

If you don't have children in your party then it is rather annoying when parents let their children annoy other passengers on the plane, so why not have an adults only area.

I've flown PE several times now and not a child in sight.

I'm far from anti-children I just think some parents should understand that their 'little darlings' are not everyone elses. :headache:

I when out to Florida for the first time last year with my son. He is 3. My wife and I did all that we could to keep him sitting down and quiet, not that we had much luck. It have never warred me, but if the parents where making no effort then I would not be happy.

I when out to Florida for the first time last year with my son. He is 3. My wife and I did all that we could to keep him sitting down and quiet, not that we had much luck. It have never warred me, but if the parents where making no effort then I would not be happy.

Thanks for trying to keep your son within reason!

I guess that's one of the things that bothered me most, that the parents let them run wild, they didn't even try to consider other passengers. One of them was even running up and down those cabinets by the windows and climbing onto my DH chair. All while mummy was laughing.

Actually that one particular one was right behind me when boarding the plane. He screamed so loud right into my ear that it gave me an instant headache. As I looked back, I kind of gave an annoyed look to the kid and the mum. From then on, the woman just avoided looking at me!

Being over weight myself I luckily do not require two seats. Some people have medical problems as to thier weight gain. Its not all about appearance. Sorry to get a little huffy. It makes me mad when people comment about people's weight.

If it was that bad and she was larger than the seat then the airline should of made them pay for an extra seat or be asked to move if there was available seats. Its not that passengers fault.

I didn't say it was the passengers fault but it wasn't my husbands fault either.

I didn't say it was the passengers fault but it wasn't my husbands fault either.

I know its not your either's fault. My point was that the airline should of done something i.e charged for two seats. Only reason I say is because I have read on another forum that South west Airlines charged them another seat on check in. They were obviously bigger than a standard seat. I think there is another airline too that does it. I cant remember which one. To be honest I agree that this should be done for safety reasons if you ask me. Even though I am overweight I agree with the extra seat if you are bigger than your own chair.

BTW: I had an option of upgrading to P.E on my last trip, but felt the boys were too young they were 4 then. I bring lots of sweets, toys, drawing and ipods etc to keep them distracted.

I always travel with duct tape at the ready to suppress annoying fellow travellers - large or small!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Seriously, I've travelled in PE and UC to/from Orlando recently and small children have been present in both categories. IMO you just have to accept MCO is a popular family holiday destination and that there's bound to be a substantial fractious child element onboard... In the OP's situation I may have spoken politely to the parents/the children or asked the cabin crew if there was any chance of moving... :confused3 It does sound awful tho'...

I know from past experience how tough it is keeping little ones amused/settled on a long haul flight so I nowadays I stick on my headphones, crank up the iPod and ask for another drink... ;)

VA are still taking 9hours and 30 mins on that flight route? Why is that? We were told due to bad weather, but many people has been experiencing this.

In August it was 8 hours and 20 mins. :confused3

Sorry to change the subject, but has me baffled.

I know its not your either's fault. My point was that the airline should of done something i.e charged for two seats. Only reason I say is because I have read on another forum that South west Airlines charged them another seat on check in. They were obviously bigger than a standard seat. I think there is another airline too that does it. I cant remember which one. To be honest I agree that this should be done for safety reasons if you ask me. Even though I am overweight I agree with the extra seat if you are bigger than your own chair.

BTW: I had an option of upgrading to P.E on my last trip, but felt the boys were too young they were 4 then. I bring lots of sweets, toys, drawing and ipods etc to keep them distracted.

It isn't always possible for the airline to deal with either. They don't know at the time of booking that the person is of a larger size.
Get the plane, fully booked, they can't get them into another seat. So the person next to them has paid for a full seat but only getting half a seat.

VA are still taking 9hours and 30 mins on that flight route? Why is that? We were told due to bad weather, but many people has been experiencing this.

9hours30 due to strong winds that day and a delay at the airport.

Its the squiggly lines you see on the weather map:rotfl: iceybars i think there called, the plane is travelling through all the cold air that is coming towards britain and so this is why its taking longet to get to Florida..

Oh ok I was just hoping it wasnt anything to do with a new route.

:goodvibes

It isn't always possible for the airline to deal with either. They don't know at the time of booking that the person is of a larger size.
Get the plane, fully booked, they can't get them into another seat. So the person next to them has paid for a full seat but only getting half a seat.

True I just dont know then. I just think we all will have a good flight and a bad one then. All fingers crossed its good ones in the future.

Seriously though I am sorry you had an awful flight. I cant imagine 9 hours 30 mins of it either.

We flew out to Orlando last week with VA. 9 hours 30 minutes. We were in PE, in the upper part of the plane. Next to us there was a 2 year old boy, 2 rows in front another boy, just a little bit older. During those 9 hours 30 minutes we didn't get a single minute of peace and quiet. Crying, screaming, running up and down the aisle, climbing onto the furniture, ...
We weren't flying out on vacation, we were going for business so had hoped that by flying PE we'd arrive a bit more rested. This was the worst flight ever! Even with earplugs and noise cancelling headphones, the high pitch screeching sounds still came through.
The parents did seem to realise that we weren't impressed, but didn't care as their kid was ever so cute and couldn't possibly be a nuissance (I actually heard one of them talking in a way that implied this train of thought).

Wouldn't it be possible for the airlines to get a section of the plane for people without kids? :cloud9:

I agree with you! and I have had 3 kids.
I know its difficult to keep kids busy and occupied for the journey, but I dont need to be kept busy or occupied by their noise.
The only thing I have had was 2 little boys kicking the back of our seats, but they to be honest were trying to get comfortable while watching the films.
On the journey back an american passenger asked to be moved from pe upstairs to downstairs as he couldnt stand the noise of 2 little kids, now i thought they were fine! the stewardess couldnt move him as the plane was full.
everyone has their own level of tolerance, so what annoys me, maybe a different story to any of you!
This post and answers shouldnt get flamed-everyone is entitled to their own opinions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter