Private Table

We have a great TA and she must be requesting the private table for us. Honestly, we had been on 5 DCL cruises before I even knew that most people are seated with other families. It had never occurred to me, since we had always had a table for the 4 of us.:rotfl2:

We are a family of 5 and on our first cruise were seated with a family of 4 at a 10 top. Verrrrrry uncomfortable for a lot of reasons. After that, we've always called DCL and been seated by ourselves at a 6 top. It lets DW & I relax a bit at dinner where we aren't too worried that our kids are acting badly (we have high standards for our kids behavior) and it brings the tension factor down considerably.

We had a similar experience on our second cruise with non-English speakers (Indian, I believe). Our party of three was placed at at table with a larger family and they did not speak much, if any English. They raised concern immediately on the first night when they came into the dining room (we were already seated). They did not speak to us at all, but went to the Head Server and spoke to him. Next thing we knew, we were being moved to a private table and told that the family did not speak English. The HS apologized and gave us a bottle of wine for the trouble. We weren't offended at all, and totally understood that it might be awkward for everyone. Ever since, we've requested our own table because we realized we enjoyed using that time to chat with each other about how the day was (since DD spends much of her time in the kids clubs).

As a French-speaker, I would like to add a bit of insight to your story. It probably had nothing to do with you or what they thought of you. While most French-speakers, being from France or Quebec, do speak a little English (and some are fluent), it might not be ‘comfortable’ (for lack of a better word) for them to maintain a conversation in that language with native speakers. Communicating with servers is easier since the subjects of conversation are mostly limited to what you want and the servers are usually aware of those limitations.

Also, you mention they had a kid with them. He/she probably didn’t speak English. Engaging in a conversation with you would mean excluding that kid from it or having to translate everything, which is not very fun when you are trying to enjoy a relaxed family meal. That’s one of the reasons we ask for a private table. We are there to enjoy family-time. We do not want to have to choose between our son and our table mates.

I really appreciate your story! I speak only English, but over the years, I have made friends with a number of people from other countries (France, Poland, Japan, Mexico, Germany) and they all have told me the same thing. "My English is not very good. I am embarrassed to speak it to you." I always say to them, quite sincerely, "But you speak English so well!" What I have realized is that when I am thinking about their English, I am able to understand what they mean and we are able to hold conversations, and I am so grateful that they can speak my language since I am not able to speak theirs. But they are comparing it to their native tongue, or what would be required in a school class. So if their grammar or pronunciation is not great, they feel like they shouldn't speak it to native speakers, but I don't mind these small issues at all.

I have been to France a number of times, and I speak a tiny bit of it. I find that if I make my best attempt at a few lines of French, two things happen. 1) They think I speak it much better than I do, and I get a torrent of French that I can't understand. 2) When they realize that I don't really speak French, but I tried anyway, they are more than happy to switch to English, for which I am very grateful.

How hard is it to get a table for 15 people cruising together? I’ve linked our reservations. Is there anything else I need to do?

We used a TA to book our cruise, but the only dining option available was the late seating. Someone on this board posted the following email address to make any dining change requests:
dcl.reservations@disneycruise.com. I emailed and was told that they noted the request but couldn’t make any promises. A few weeks later I was looking at our reservation online & the dining had been changed from late to main!

If there's a cruise meet group on here for your sailing you can join that and get to know people. We've linked dining with people that way that we thought would be a good fit and have made lifetime friends out of it.
I’ve joined. No real activity yet but cruise is not until May 2019.

DCL most definitely does seat families together. While it's possible your family of 5 might be assigned alone at a 6-top, it's also quite possible you'll be combined with a party of 3 for an 8-top. We are a family of 3 and have always been seated with another family.
Exactly this.

We were a party of 3 (mom, dad and older teen son). We were seated with a party of 5 (mom, young teen daughter, mid-teen son, and young adult mom with toddler grandson).

As a party of 5, we had our own table.

Yes, at least that is what we have done in the past. We’re two for two on private seating so far, and will find out if we can keep the streak going next week!
When I log in to my account on DCL, there is a section for special requests. If I request private dining thru my TA, what goes under special requests?

Last edited:
When I log in to my account on DCL, there is a section for special requests. If I request private dining thru my TA, way goes under special requests?

No. Requests like that do not show up on your reservation that YOU can see. They are in places only DCL people who need to can see.

If we don’t request a private table on our booking, is there any chance we could switch once on board if we don’t like our tablemates? Part of me wants to be social but the other part dreads making small talk at dinner for 7 nights. My son would probably enjoy others at the table but they might not enjoy his non stop chatter.

If you are concerned about making small talk for 7 nights, I would request the private table. You can always chit-chat and meet people during other activities on the ship. We once accidentally ran into a friend and her daughter on one of our sailings. They had been seated with another family during dinner and it was so uncomfortable that we requested they be seated us for the rest of the cruise (which we were thrilled with!). We always request a private table. I like meeting new people and having conversations, but, unless it's someone I know well, I don't really want to eat with strangers every single night.

No. Requests like that do not show up on your reservation that YOU can see. They are in places only DCL people who need to can see.
Sorry typo, I meant WHAT goes under special requests? I can click on it to make a request, what kind of request would I make there?

Sorry typo, I meant WHAT goes under special requests? I can click on it to make a request, what kind of request would I make there?

In clicking on it (because I couldn't remember - it doesn't hurt anything to click on the links as you can always exit out without making changes) it is some dietary things (lactose-free diet, low-fat diet, vegan diet, vegetarian diet) and celebrations (anniversary, honeymoon, birthday).

We have a great TA and she must be requesting the private table for us. Honestly, we had been on 5 DCL cruises before I even knew that most people are seated with other families. It had never occurred to me, since we had always had a table for the 4 of us.:rotfl2:

That's pretty funny. I need to know who your TA is. haha only kidding. I've noticed DCL likes to put couples with other couples to make up a lot of 4 tops so a family of 4 is likely fairly easy for them to assign. I've been fortunate to be seated with great people but I know that isn't always the case with everyone. We normally just talk about how our day was and sometimes they're really into Disney which is always good.

I also had a really bad experience at the hibachi-style Japanese restaurant at EPCOT. We were seated with a family of 6 and man they could've been on a reality show. The kids were misbehaving and it was just an unpleasant experience for us.

I'm going to request a private table for my upcoming cruise. We'll see what happens.

We are a party of 2 and always request a private table. Our request has only be granted our on first cruise. Every other cruise we have had to go switch things around upon boarding.

We are a party of 2 and always request a private table. Our request has only be granted our on first cruise. Every other cruise we have had to go switch things around upon boarding.
That's interesting. So have you had better luck requesting the private table while on board?

First 3 cruises we were seated with other families. We're a party of 3. First two cruises were with other parties of 5, and the third a party of 3. We've been lucky with great table mates but last cruise we decided we just didn't want to have to be "on" during dinner, so we asked for a private table months before the cruise and it was granted. It was so much more fun and relaxing. We've requested it again for our 4/21 cruise but we know that it's not a guarantee, so if we're sat with another family we'll make do :)

I’m a newbie. My first DCL Cruise will be in June. My TA said that Disney does not combine families and we will be able to have our own table for my family of 5 without having to make a special request. Is this bad info? If so, how do I make such a request?

Your TA is wrong and needs to learn more about Disney Cruise Line if he/she is booking it for clients.

DH and I have been on 8 cruises with DCL. We request a table for 2 every time with the exception of 1 when it was a family cruise with his brothers and parents. One of the early cruises we arrived at a table with 6 or 8 other people and we said something to the person seating us that we wanted a private table. They took us back to the podium, and I am glad we said something because as we were walking away 2 people at the table made very rude remarks about us leaving. They immediately gave us a table for 2. We have had our request granted every time.

But to be sure on embarkation day we always go and verify we have the table we want after lunch. It is worth standing on line to make sure.

a little OT, but the Fantasy for the last 4 cruises has done the dining requests in Royal Court. My TA told me that when she was on the Wonder last month they moved the location. Does anyone know if the Fantasy still does it at Royal Court or is it in a new location. We have a cruise coming up and we will need to confirm dining seating as well as try and get Palo brunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter