Princess Weekend 2022

Should I plan for long or short sleeves? Maybe DopeyBadger knows the historical data on weather for Princess Weekend?

I'm coming from the Northeast so will probably aim for short sleeves, since it's gonna be hot for me no matter what the actual fahrenheits on the thermometer read. Just curious, reading about some of you discussing all these mylar blankets and what not...

These are the historical temps for the HM date. (Link)

As others have said, best to plan for everything no matter what the 10 day forecast says. I’ve seen significant changes between the 10 day and reality in FL run Disney races.

That’s interesting. What is it about this weekend that people don’t like?
All the “princesses” and their behavior.

ETA: I should clarify that I have not run Princess Weekend or observed anything directly, but when Princess comes up in online discussions the behavior of a portion of the runners both at the Expo and on course is the predominant reason many prefer other race weekends.
There are some that take the princess entitled mentality way too far. I have seen crap behavior from participants and families at all four race weekends, but Princess has had the most. One year I forgot a sweatshirt at home so I wore a glass slipper challenge long sleeve shirt I had purchased to the 5K. Women on the bus told me I didn’t belong there because I was a “real runner” and basically I took away a spot from someone else. There have been fist fights over merchandise. Lots of crying. Lots and lots and lots of crying.
Agree with other comments above. After having attended many runDisney weekends at DL, WDW and DL Paris, Princess 2018 was by far the worst in terms of runner behaviour. Fisticuffs at the expo with smashed glass and visible blood, general grabbing/pulling/shoving, and the worst (non-existent) on course manners ever.

As much as I root for girl power, never again. One and done, I'm good!
Some very poor behavior (think mean girl rude clique) on the part of some runners. I have definitely seen it. There was a year that a couple of people ( not just women) were fighting over merch at the expo. People have spread the story to make is seem like it happens every year and that everyone who attends is a WWE diva. Princess also seems to have a significant number of first time runners. Many of the runners that I have encountered are pleasant and excited to be there. Just like the other races.
It is good to hear that despite all the poor behavior seen by some of you, that it wasn’t bad enough to turn you off of doing the race again. It is really interesting because I haven’t really seen bad behavior by any of the runners at either the Star Wars or wine and dine weekends, except for the above mentioned lack of course etiquette. I have come to accept that when it comes to Disney runs there is no such thing as course etiquette. I think you have to look at them more as tours of WDW with exercise than actual racing, unless you’re in the special fast people corrals at the front.
All of the above! I've heard some horror stories from princess weekend. The only negative experience I've had was once at the starting line (I think either the 5K or 10K) I had a minor injury and decided to start the race at a walk until the crowd dispersed and I could run/walk at a comfortable pace. I stayed all the way to the side, but as the race started a guy made a comment (I know I wasn't the only one it was directed to) saying "OMG people are walking already." I brushed it off and kept going, knowing I was running the best race for me at that moment. I've ran this weekend three times in person and have never experienced anything worse than that, even when attending the expo on opening day! I agree with @HangWithMerida that course etiquette is pretty much nonexistent, likely due to a very large number of new runners, unclear running directions (I've been confused myself by a difference between what the runDisney media pages have recommended for walkers and runners vs what the announcers have said before crossing the starting line), and the fact that the crowds can make it very difficult to get yourself on the side you want to be on by the time you reach the start line! Not to mention you could expect to be in the back of a start group, and then they walk that tape across and all of a sudden you're in the front!

Like I said before, Princess holds a special place in my heart. It was my first runDisney race weekend, my first half marathon, my first challenge... I've had the pleasure of talking with some wonderful "princesses" on line at the expo, in the corrals, and on line for character photos. One moment I'll never forget was something very simple. I cheered when the announcers asked who was running their first half marathon at the starting line, and a very kind woman turned and wished me luck. I was so nervous so that simple gesture really meant a lot to me. Just so many feel good memories. I'll return for this weekend as long as I can!

Should I plan for long or short sleeves? Maybe DopeyBadger knows the historical data on weather for Princess Weekend?

I'm coming from the Northeast so will probably aim for short sleeves, since it's gonna be hot for me no matter what the actual fahrenheits on the thermometer read. Just curious, reading about some of you discussing all these mylar blankets and what not...
Princess 2020 The 5&10K were apparently miserable. I want to say we started the half in the mid-50s and ended somewhere in the 70s and sunny. I'm from DC...this was *perfect* running temperature for me but I think folks from other points more south were freezing. I had packed some capri length running pants in addition to the shorts that I had planned to wear under my run dress as back up and was happy I brought them. I also had an Old Navy pull over that I tossed to the side around mile 3.
Both! With the mix of rain and cooler temperatures in 2020, I was FREEZING. I don't even know how to describe it. As a frame of reference, I showered after the 5K and my fingers were burning. Admittedly, after the race, I was one of those people going to Disney Springs to buy a fleece jacket and gloves. I'm packing all of the options this year! :rotfl2:

My goals are to PR in fun

Love that. I haven't had all that much fun running in ages, and I'd like to try this time.

So, I've watched a few Princess 5K videos on youtube and notice the mylar-type blankets (not a blanket!) that have the run disney logo on them - are those for purchase at the expo?

No. On cold days they hand them out at the end. Or if you end up in first aid, but who wants that? During training you'll end up seeing how you do with colder runs, and can buy one for cheap at home to bring with you, if you feel you'll need it and don't want to leave it up to chance. Keep it away from your bib when crossing timing areas for the timed runs.

Added note about the mylar: I remember in the pre-race announcement prior to princess 2020 to make sure to toss those prior to crossing the start as they can interfere with the timing chip in the bib

If you lift it up near your shoulders away from your bib it should work, but some don't want to take that chance.

I've also purchased inexpensive full zip hoodies from Walmart/Target and discarded them before the race knowing that they would be donated to charity. So essentially a barely used brand new jacket will bless someone in need.

Yep.
I have a friend who buys brand new sweatpants and sweatshirts, keeps the tags on, and takes them off carefully just before the start of runs. He folds them up carefully and places them in a spot where they won't get messed up, so hopefully someone in need will be able to get something just about brand new.

-Savor being in the endorphin laden crowd!!

Yes.
I was lucky enough to be there 2020 and then the week later at Seattle Hot Chocolate, and I can't wait.

I'll take any tips for this if you have them. 4+ years of running and I still can't manage...

I really have to be watching what I eat, or I tend to overestimate the calories I burn and underestimate the calories I eat. I'm short enough that it doesn't take too long for that combo to catch up to me. I can lie to myself like a champ, so I keep doing that for much longer than I think I am. Terrible combination. I have gained and lost and gained all while working out hard, and it's all about diet for me. When I'm running and doing weights I can eat quite a lot, but I still have to track it. I am very good at pretending that a half-hour run means half a pizza. It does NOT mean half a pizza, FWIW.

All the “princesses” and their behavior.

ETA: I should clarify that I have not run Princess Weekend or observed anything directly, but when Princess comes up in online discussions the behavior of a portion of the runners both at the Expo and on course is the predominant reason many prefer other race weekends.

Princess is rough, that's for sure.

I go with and for my cousin. I would prefer January. But it's over her birthday and she has a knack for getting free desserts, and we have a lot of fun.

Our first Princess in 2016 we walked into the expo and there were police officers finishing up paperwork from the fist fight that had happened.

2017 I was waiting patiently for the woman in front of me to move so I could snag a shirt (the last one out), and a woman from behind me just reached on through past me and over the woman in front of me to grab that shirt. Thankfully there was another when I went to the expo the next day, but man oh man.

On the other hand, maybe they do want everyone to know exactly what is included before registration, and they aren't ready to release that info yet for some reason.

That would be nice.
Are they including yoga mats? Do we need to bring our own? Are they giving mats? Those things are important to know ahead of time.

I have come to accept that when it comes to Disney runs there is no such thing as course etiquette.

Yep.

At the beginning, when I did 2013 TOT, 2014 and 2015 January, and I think 2016 Princess the pre-race info said "walkers to the right, runners to the left."

Then it changed to "runners in the middle, walkers on the sides."

Then they dropped that entirely, and it's been a free for all ever since.

Some people will yell out where walkers or runners "should" be, but without guidance from the race itself, they aren't correct.

I have done a run elsewhere where the stated etiquette was runners on the right and walkers on the left, but Galloway people and most races say walkers on the right, so without guidance, it's a crapshoot.

Then you have the groups of 2, 3, and 4 who manage to clump across the course, with no group thinking they are a problem and not looking to the side, and don't notice the log jam behind them. Not to mention the big tutus. Oh and swinging arms. And fast, tall people who didn't submit their corrals in time and are behind everyone, swinging elbows as they rush past. I'm at their elbow height so it gets scary. ;)

I keep doing them. But I'm well aware of the issues and try to keep away from those issues, and try to not *cause* issues.

But even when etiquette is clearly stated (for those who read the info and listen at the beginning), like at the 2013 TOT I did, people lose the plot. There was a path to espn that you go along at one point on that course, and I was allll the way to the right. Could not have fit a penny next to my foot. I do walk-run, and I had previously decided to just walk on the path because it's not paved and my ankles are tricksy. A runner went to my right in the brush off the path, then leaped right in front of me so I had to stop cold. And there was room to my left the whole time. Just mystifying.

Should I plan for long or short sleeves?

Yes.
Bring everything. February usually isn't as bad as January CAN be, but it can be COLD and it can be HOT. And I don't mean 50 degrees.

This isn't Princess-specific, but bear with me. I volunteered for the January 2015 5K. It was something like 33 degrees when I got there at 2:30 to check in. My son and then-husband got there an hour or so later to get ready to participate in the 5K, and it was approx 31 degrees. It was windy. It was violently cold. At home near Seattle it's one thing, but Florida is a swamp and is all water. Get a freezing cold breeze whipping across all the ponds and you're colder than you can even expect. For THAT 5K they didn't have the mylar out and they had no heating lamps. Everyone huddled up and made new best friends and they sat together like penguins protecting their eggs.

The month later for the Princess 5K it was colder, and they handed out mylar and had the heat lamps out. I think 2015 made them smarter about the cold, but you never know.

It can be cold.
It can also be so hot that by the time you hit halfway or so they'll have sponges with water out for those slow enough (if you're too fast they won't get those out in time for you).

Be prepared for everything.

Garbage bags with head and arm holes work well if it's raining and you're not totally prepared. Actually, if you don't need to use your arms when you walk or run you don't even need the arm holes. :)

Goals?

I love the idea of PR'ing in fun.

My training goal is to do it all. I have combined the beginner 10K with the experienced Challenge that's on rundisney, and I think I have a good plan to get all the miles in; I'm in week 2 of my extended plan already. Starting this early gives me the ability to go slowly up in the miles, and gives me a chance to figure out what shoes I need to get. I'm mentally a minimalist shoe person, but my ankles might not agree with me, so I need time to work it out.

I'm starting pretty much at the beginning physically, but mentally I have done so many runs that I know I *can* do it. I just want to do it *better*.

And I want to be able to walk at the end without wondering if I should have a wheelchair.

I want to enjoy going through the castle.

The runners dashing off the course to the right to go around walkers mystifies me. There is space on the left, why not go that way? I mostly walk, and if I'm running, I'm slow, so I stay to the right as much as possible. Although when the runners start going by me on either side and running all over the place, I just move to the middle because why not? I'm barely 5' tall, so I'm sure people don't even see me. 🙄 Which gets the rolling eye since you are at Disney, filled with short people (children).

Goals

1. Have fun! I’m doing this with a group of girlfriends I haven’t seen in 14 years (although we are online daily with each other) and I’m so looking forward to that! They go all out for costumes so I think this will be super fun!

2. My goal race for the year is a month prior so I just want to show up to the starting line happy and healthy.

3. I registered for all three races so I want to get that picture in front of the castle with all my medals!

At the beginning, when I did 2013 TOT, 2014 and 2015 January, and I think 2016 Princess the pre-race info said "walkers to the right, runners to the left."

Then it changed to "runners in the middle, walkers on the sides."

Then they dropped that entirely, and it's been a free for all ever since.

Some people will yell out where walkers or runners "should" be, but without guidance from the race itself, they aren't correct.

I have done a run elsewhere where the stated etiquette was runners on the right and walkers on the left, but Galloway people and most races say walkers on the right, so without guidance, it's a crapshoot.
This! Exactly this! It is beyond confusing when you’re trying to do the right thing and there’s either conflicting guidance or no guidance whatsoever…

Yes.
Bring everything. February usually isn't as bad as January CAN be, but it can be COLD and it can be HOT. And I don't mean 50 degrees.

This isn't Princess-specific, but bear with me. I volunteered for the January 2015 5K. It was something like 33 degrees when I got there at 2:30 to check in. My son and then-husband got there an hour or so later to get ready to participate in the 5K, and it was approx 31 degrees. It was windy. It was violently cold. At home near Seattle it's one thing, but Florida is a swamp and is all water. Get a freezing cold breeze whipping across all the ponds and you're colder than you can even expect. For THAT 5K they didn't have the mylar out and they had no heating lamps. Everyone huddled up and made new best friends and they sat together like penguins protecting their eggs.
This is a perfect explanation. I wasn’t there for that race, but I’m sure that was at least part of the reason why I was so cold at Princess 2020. Definitely a lesson learned, I don’t think I’ll ever show up to a race weekend without all the options. I don’t want to feel that cold in a race ever again lol.

Unless told otherwise at the race, I’m going to take Cap’s word for it that faster people go on the left 😆

View attachment 600450

I think it's the most usual way to organize runners and walkers, so it definitely makes sense. Even though I haven't watched the movie.

However, without official word from the race organizers we have to be aware that there might be others with different experiences in their regional races.

Posted in Marathon Weekend but I'll post here too... New AP levels were just announced, and Memory Maker/Photo Pass is no longer included. I hope us current APs still get free race pic downloads until our current AP runs out.

I've been thinking a lot about goals for this race, and I'm still trying to craft one beyond just finishing. I think I'd just like to be less wrecked afterwards! And to avoid the sport beans at mile 8 (girl cannot resist free candy).
I did train for 2020, but there was a lot missing from my personal program. No real flexibility piece, no nutrition element, a half-hearted attempt at strength.
I'm in a much better place physically these days, and I think it will be neat to compare post-race recovery as a way to mark progress.

I was really looking forward to running a local 10K and proudly submitting a proof of time, which I couldn't do for 2020. It really knocked the wind out of my sails when they moved that goal post so significantly for this new crop of races. My virtual this past year was 2:41:40...I was going to have that POT in the bag! My outdoor pace hovers right around an 11 these days. I'm not really trying to push for faster than that for distance running. I was in F last time without a POT and that was just the place for me at the time, so no big whoop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter