Princess Weekend 2020

Okay, daughter is in this one due to needing a US race to get Castle-to-Chateau next year. (She's in Germany for school next fall and planning to hit DLP's race.) And...now, so am I. We're still figuring out all the logistics but I'm signed up with my corral E PoT and hoping to improve that.

Registered for the Fairy Tale challenge and the 5k! Nervous as all get out, but equally excited! Tried my first ever half this past January and got swept by the balloon ladies, so I’m coming back with a vengeance in February!
This is one of my fears, as I just signed up for my very 1st Fairy Tale Challenge, do you still receive your metals, pics ect. if the balloon ladies pass you up? Thanks in advance for your response

This is one of my fears, as I just signed up for my very 1st Fairy Tale Challenge, do you still receive your metals, pics ect. if the balloon ladies pass you up? Thanks in advance for your response
You will receive your individual race medals if you get pulled from the course but you will not receive the challenge medal.

Thanks for this info.

Since you asked about the 10K and I didn't notice a question about the half (and don't know what races you're signed up for), I want to make sure you know that you don't run through MK with the 10K, so there's no castle.

They have traditionally handed you your specific event medal along with the snack box when you are put on the bus once you're pulled from the course. This could always change, but it's what it has been.

But as MES said, you don't get the challenge medal if this happens on either challenge event.

(a person that completes both races will get the challenge medal after the Half when they go through the specific line and they check the 10K finish info)

That dark-castle info is so interesting. Meanwhile, I just want a chance to actually jog through the castle, rather than having to walk at a slow slow pace while everyone in front of me STOPS to get a selfie before exiting it.

Last edited:

Does anyone know if you can book Shades of Green through a TA package? A friend missed out on the 10K and she will be staying at Shades of Green.

Since you asked about the 10K and I didn't notice a question about the half (and don't know what races you're signed up for), I want to make sure you know that you don't run through MK with the 10K, so there's no castle.

They have traditionally handed you your specific event medal along with the snack box when you are put on the bus once you're pulled from the course. This could always change, but it's what it has been.

But as MES said, you don't get the challenge medal if this happens on either challenge event. (you get the challenge medal after the Half when you go through the specific line and they check your 10K finish info)

That dark-castle info is so interesting. Meanwhile, I just want chance to actually jog through the castle, rather than having to walk at a slow slow pace while everyone in front of me STOPS to get a selfie before exiting it.
you mean I've done it wrong 2 challenges I did but didn't complete?
I never went thru special line after 10k. as for snack box I never got that until I was back at epcot and off parade bus. I was offered/given powerade and I believe water on bus.

But as MES said, you don't get the challenge medal if this happens on either challenge event. (you get the challenge medal after the Half when you go through the specific line and they check your 10K finish info)

That dark-castle info is so interesting. Meanwhile, I just want a chance to actually jog through the castle, rather than having to walk at a slow slow pace while everyone in front of me STOPS to get a selfie before exiting it.
Yup, understand that. We wanted to experience our first runDisney event with the shorter races. While running through MK and the Castle would be awesome, we also want to enjoy our entire time down there and did not want to have races everyday, this time!!!!! LOL

you mean I've done it wrong 2 challenges I did but didn't complete?
I never went thru special line after 10k. as for snack box I never got that until I was back at epcot and off parade bus. I was offered/given powerade and I believe water on bus.

I’m not following you. I don’t understand the first line at all.

I didn’t say you go through a special line after the 10k.

It’s after completing the half that they check your 10k finish then give you the challenge medal.

I’ve never been pulled from a race, but every description I’ve read has said that they hand out the snack boxes ON the bus.

Editing to add: I changed my wording in the post you were responding to. Hope it makes more sense now, and doesn’t require having read the response I referred to in that post.

Hopefully this is the last question I think of. With regard to the balloon ladies/pacing - if you are in the slowest pacing corral, how can you stop for photos? if there is a line and it takes approx5-10 mins, does this now affect your pacing? I am only doing the 5k but given its my first ever I would like to be able to stop for at least a photo or two, just concerned I won't be able to if takes too much time and then I am in a crunch to run faster than I can.

Hopefully this is the last question I think of. With regard to the balloon ladies/pacing - if you are in the slowest pacing corral, how can you stop for photos? if there is a line and it takes approx5-10 mins, does this now affect your pacing? I am only doing the 5k but given its my first ever I would like to be able to stop for at least a photo or two, just concerned I won't be able to if takes too much time and then I am in a crunch to run faster than I can.

Yes, it does impact your pacing as far as the sweep/balloon ladies are concerned. The two things you can do to build in time for photos is to get as close to the front of your corral as you can (if you're in the first "mini wave" of the last corral, you could still be maybe 5-10 minutes ahead of the balloon ladies when you start), or to build it in to your pacing. So if you run a 14:00/mile, you're banking 2 minutes per mile (about 26 mins total) for bathroom breaks, character lines, etc.

The 5K isn't timed and they don't sweep on this race. Cast members will come and tell you (if you are waiting for characters) that the race is coming to an end and that you need to hurry but you will not get removed from the course for the 5K. I know people that started in the last corral and walked (with an injury) and still finished and got their medal.

The balloon ladies only participate in races that have a distance of 10K and up as those are timed. Think about it; you can't keep a certain pace if the entire race itself is not timed.

It's Disney and they want people to have fun so don't stress for the 5K... you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
:flower1:

As others have said, historically the 5K has been untimed and therefore not swept. However, that is always subject to change (although ... not likely), so I'd say try to train a little faster than a 16 min/mi if you can (I know that's not always easy, especially for your first race). Start towards the front of your corral to give yourself a bit of a buffer. Character lines can get very long during the 5K, but don't be afraid to stop for a character or two - if you're in danger of being swept (again, not likely), someone will let you know.

I registered for the 10K last week. Just decided to give the half a shot, and registered today. Is there anyway, at this juncture, to make it into the FairyTale Challenge? Just curious.

My DW and SIL are running the 2020 Princess Half for their first ever Disney race. Trying to work out preliminary travel plans. Was interested in pp thoughts on the best day/time to go to the expo center/merch area. Thurs (AM, afternoon, PM), Fri PM, or Sat at opening. Thanks.

I registered for the 10K last week. Just decided to give the half a shot, and registered today. Is there anyway, at this juncture, to make it into the FairyTale Challenge? Just curious.

It may be possible - talk to customer service.

Contact rundisney. You’ll have to pay extra for the challenge plus a transfer fee.

Ah, found the basic info for transfers of distances:

• Registrations may be transferred within the same race weekend to a different race distance, as long as the desired race distance is not sold out. .....The Guest must first register for the new event for the transfer to be valid; any difference in registration price for a lesser distance (if any) will be refunded and then a transfer processing fee will be applied.
So it’s actually possible you’ll have to register for the challenge and then get refunded minus the transfer fee. Eep!

My DW and SIL are running the 2020 Princess Half for their first ever Disney race. Trying to work out preliminary travel plans. Was interested in pp thoughts on the best day/time to go to the expo center/merch area. Thurs (AM, afternoon, PM), Fri PM, or Sat at opening. Thanks.

Depends on what you want to do there.

If you’re all about the specific rundisney princess merchandise, go as early as you can. They’ve gotten better about having adequate stock and restocking, but who knows if that trend will continue?

If you’re interested in the non-Disney vendors, that’s a separate building (at least in the last couple years) and you don’t have to go ASAP.

Bibs are in yet another building, and the runners will need those before picking up their shirts (which are cleverly in the back of the non-Disney vendor hall), so make sure they’ve gotten bibs before going to that building.

Depends on what you want to do there.

If you’re all about the specific rundisney princess merchandise, go as early as you can. They’ve gotten better about having adequate stock and restocking, but who knows if that trend will continue?

If you’re interested in the non-Disney vendors, that’s a separate building (at least in the last couple years) and you don’t have to go ASAP.

Bibs are in yet another building, and the runners will need those before picking up their shirts (which are cleverly in the back of the non-Disney vendor hall), so make sure they’ve gotten bibs before going to that building.
Thanks, they are mostly interested in the merch and picking up their bibs, but plan to spend some time going thru the expo vendors. Thinking it will be better to catch an earlier flight in on Thurs that gets in late morning to mid-day so they have time to go to the expo/merch late Thurs afternoon/early evening. Friday is a planned park day, and would like Sat to be a rest/easy day at the resort/pool. Would go to the expo on Sat morning if thurs pm is expected to be mobbed.

Contact rundisney. You’ll have to pay extra for the challenge plus a transfer fee.

Ah, found the basic info for transfers of distances:

• Registrations may be transferred within the same race weekend to a different race distance, as long as the desired race distance is not sold out. .....The Guest must first register for the new event for the transfer to be valid; any difference in registration price for a lesser distance (if any) will be refunded and then a transfer processing fee will be applied.
So it’s actually possible you’ll have to register for the challenge and then get refunded minus the transfer fee. Eep!
So, I called runDisney, they told me how to change my race registrations. Then, it showed that I owed an addtl $202. Which I paid. Then I sent an email to runDisney (per the CMs instruction), telling them I had changed my registration. They will refund the overpayment, which they say is the cost of the 10K.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter