Prince Philip has died

Yes, Philip was not known for his tact. He shoved his foot in his mouth a time or two for sure. Not to excuse it necessarily but name one person in the public eye for a fraction of that amount of time who hasn't. You can't deny he did a lot of good work for the monarchy and the country as a whole.
All true.
As far as Charles and Camilla, well, the record is certainly clear there. I have to say, the more I learn about that whole saga the more I really feel sorry for all involved. They all three behaved horribly while he was married to Diana but really, those two weren't even well suited on paper. The powers that be should have just let him marry Camilla from the beginning. I can't bring myself to hate either of them.
Yes, as unappealing as Camilla seems to be, Charles seems to truly love her -- their relationship has stood the test of time. Yes, 30 or so years ago the royal family should have accepted that Charles is a human being and couldn't be expected to live his whole life married to a woman to whom he wasn't well suited.
She does come from a line of widows who had great strength, from her own mother back to Queen Victoria, and I hope she is able to cope with this loss and continue her life. It can be so hard.
Yes, I hope that'll be a comfort to her now.
In her quiet time that I am sure is very fleeting, who will she have now? :( Those moments for them, the calm after the storm every day I would imagine were very important.
That would be very hard.
I agree. He did serve England in WW II. That generation is almost gone. He should be thanked and saluted for it.
True!

I think it needs to be remembered to that Prince Philip was a WW2 veteran. Not many of those left anymore. His military service needs to be saluted.

Not just a veteran, but something of a hero. He was mentioned in dispatches for service in the Battle of Cape Matapan, and served in action as XO of the destroyers HMS Wallace and later, HMS Whelp. One of his shipmates on the Wallace contributed a story about serving with him to an oral history project: https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/dec/28/monarchy.davidsmith. Certainly he had connections, as Admiral Lord Louis Mountbatten was his uncle and guardian, but he was known to be both well-liked and respected as a commander by those who served under him.

There was always something charming about photos of Phillip and the Queen together, because they had a tendency to always stand together at public occasions and just beam at one another, and that lasted for as long as Phillip lived. That's saying something, when you can manage to keep that quiet affection always shining from your spouse's eyes for over 70 years.

Not just a veteran, but something of a hero. He was mentioned in dispatches for service in the Battle of Cape Matapan, and served in action as XO of the destroyers HMS Wallace and later, HMS Whelp. One of his shipmates on the Wallace contributed a story about serving with him to an oral history project: https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/dec/28/monarchy.davidsmith. Certainly he had connections, as Admiral Lord Louis Mountbatten was his uncle and guardian, but he was known to be both well-liked and respected as a commander by those who served under him.

There was always something charming about photos of Phillip and the Queen together, because they had a tendency to always stand together at public occasions and just beam at one another, and that lasted for as long as Phillip lived. That's saying something, when you can manage to keep that quiet affection always shining from your spouse's eyes for over 70 years.
I agree, quiet affection for 70 years, priceless. I salute both of them.

I loved all the photos of him and the two of them together throughout the years. Seen some previously but saw many more today. A life well lived.

I just read that he was born June 10, 1921. Today is April 9; if he had lived just two more months, he would have been 100.

Or perhaps this will be the event that convinces her to step down /pass the throne on to Charles.
His was a remarkably long life of service, indeed. When one considers the span of decades and the events in them that he experienced - often at close quarters - it is truly historic.

I do think that, since The Queen has lived for many decades with the memory of what for the Royal Family was the horror of 1936, she is likely to want to continue for as much time as God gives her.

A very strong, loyal and interesting man. He led a truly remarkable life. RIP Prince Phillip

Question from a non-Brit. Is there a specific reason he's never referred to as her husband? I see partner, companion, etc but never husband.

Question from a non-Brit. Is there a specific reason he's never referred to as her husband? I see partner, companion, etc but never husband.
Up here in Canada he was known usually as Prince Philip; in the UK he was also known as the Duke of Edinburgh. Because he was married to The Queen, he was her consort (a word sometimes used in preference to 'husband').

I have heard some Brits refer to their spouse as a partner instead of using another word to describe the relationship. It confused me at first, because here in the States, partner is primarily used in a same sex relationship, and I would be surprised then to find the person wasn’t LGBTQ. Then I became used to the term being used that way, and often do it myself. Perhaps they use companion in a similar way and we just aren’t familiar with it.

Charles will make a perfectly fine king.
I have no qualms about him being our next head of state.
Fun Fact: When it happens, Charles will be the oldest person in history to ever be raised to the British throne. He's currently 72 and it could be several more years so while his reign (barring the unforeseen) will not be long, it will certainly be noteworthy for that reason alone.

Fun Fact: When it happens, Charles will be the oldest person in history to ever be raised to the British throne. He's currently 72 and it could be several more years so while his reign (barring the unforeseen) will not be long, it will certainly be noteworthy for that reason alone.

if he lives to 100 and if his mother passes in the next couple years he could still reign for 20 plus years. That is longer than his grandfather or great grandfather‘s reign.

I'm British, and Prince Philip is regularly referred to as her husband on our news.

Sad to think that our Queen is now a widow. When you think most Brits alive today will only have known The Queen and Prince Philip as one entity, a unit :(

I agree with everything you said.

Yes, Philip was not known for his tact. He shoved his foot in his mouth a time or two for sure. Not to excuse it necessarily but name one person in the public eye for a fraction of that amount of time who hasn't. You can't deny he did a lot of good work for the monarchy and the country as a whole.

He is portrayed on the Crown as having a wandering eye in the early years of their marriage but i'm not sure anything was ever proven beyond allegations. Certainly no illegitimate children were ever alleged so who's to say but they sure did seem devoted to each other in the last few decades.

As far as Charles and Camilla, well, the record is certainly clear there. I have to say, the more I learn about that whole saga the more I really feel sorry for all involved. They all three behaved horribly while he was married to Diana but really, those two weren't even well suited on paper. The powers that be should have just let him marry Camilla from the beginning. I can't bring myself to hate either of them.

It has also been written that he belittled Charles when Charles was a child, calling him a wimp, etc. The "powers that be" would be the queen - she's the one I hold responsible for the whole tragedy of Diana's short life. While I feel sorry for the woman who just lost her husband of 70+ years, I do not respect the monarchy that took an 18 year old girl, promised her she could be queen and then turned their backs on her. The queen and Philip could have done so much more to prevent what happened.

Hope I live to 99 - it sounds like he had a fine life, living in magnificent style, never wanting for a thing. We should all be so lucky.

18 year old girl
Diana was 20 years old when she married, not a child. Princess Elizabeth was just 10 years old when the course of her life changed forever, 21 years old when she married and just 25 years old when she became Queen and swore to serve this country and the Commonwealth for life. She has never failed us, publicly complained or shown any hint of resenting her fate. Nor has she used youth, selfishness, laziness etc as an excuse not to publicly serve her people.

It has also been written that he belittled Charles when Charles was a child, calling him a wimp, etc. The "powers that be" would be the queen - she's the one I hold responsible for the whole tragedy of Diana's short life. While I feel sorry for the woman who just lost her husband of 70+ years, I do not respect the monarchy that took an 18 year old girl, promised her she could be queen and then turned their backs on her. The queen and Philip could have done so much more to prevent what happened.

Hope I live to 99 - it sounds like he had a fine life, living in magnificent style, never wanting for a thing. We should all be so lucky.
And so could Diana have done so much more to prevent what have happened after her divorce. She played the victim part to her full advantage and made sure it seemed that she didn't have to bear responsibility in her misfortunes.

I think Phillip wanted for a lot. Most royal partners from that generation do, especially when they are male. The world tells you that the man is the most important thing in the family and everywhere you look, and everyone you speak to, you know that your wife is more important than you. He is one who made it work the best, probably.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter