Pretzel Bread recipe anyone?

trampslady

<font color=green>I stop and watch the Norway vide
My husband loves, loves, loves, the pretzel rolls in Germany and the pretzel bread sticks served in Canada. Does anyone happen to have the recipe for either?

just move to southcentral Pennsylvania

they serve alot of sandwiches on pretzel bread here...I can even get some at Sheetz (a gas station/mini market)

I do not have a recipe though, sorry

I found this recipe....but it's not for the Pretzel bread. You may want to give it a try but using course salt.

Disney's Homemade Soft Pretzels

Ingredients

2 cups hot water
1 egg
1 Tbs. sugar
1 1/4 oz. envelope active dry yeast
1 Tbs. sugar
5-6 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbs. salt
Toppings: coarse salt, cinnamon/sugar, mustard, toasted almond slices, vanilla/sugar icing
2 tsp. canola oil
2 Tbs. baking soda

Directions
Soft pretzels are sold in the theme parks and come in savory and sweet versions.

Using an electric mixer, fitted with a dough hook, place the hot water in bowl add 1 Tbs. sugar and let dissolve. Sprinkle the yeast over and let it dissolve. Add the flour and salt slowly until combined, about 30 seconds. Continue to beat on medium speed until sides pull away from bowl. If dough is sticky, add more flour. Transfer to floured board and knead 10 times until smooth. Pour oil into bowl and swirl to coat sides. Place dough in the bowl and place in a warm spot and let rise to double its size. Punch dough down and divide into 16 pieces. Roll one piece of dough at a time to 18" strips. Twist into pretzel shape. Fill a large shallow pot with 2" of water and add baking soda. Place pretzels into water and poach one minute. Remove and place onto cookie sheet. Brush pretzels with beaten egg and bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes until golden. To top, spray with water or cooking spray and roll into salt or cinnamon sugar or top with vanilla icing and toasted almond slices.

DH and I love pretzel bread. This is NOT the recipe from Germany in Epcot. (But they taste exactly like them). I got the recipe off the internet somewhere. But I've been making these for a few years and we love them. HTH.

Ginger

Pretzel Rolls

2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
3 1/4 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup butter - softened

3 tablespoons baking soda
2 quarts water
1 large egg yolk mixed with a tablespoon or 2 of water
coarse salt

In a small bowl, whisk the yeast and 1/4 cup of the water until smooth.
In the bowl of a heavy duty electric mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine the remaining 1 cup water, the bread flower, yeast mixture, salt, and butter. Mix at slow speed for three minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl and the hook as necessary the mixture blends evenly. When the ingredients are well combined, increase the mixture speed to high and continue mixing and occasionally scraping until the dough is firm and elastic (about 8 minutes). If the mixture is too firm for the mixer to handle, finish kneading it by hand. Turn the ball of dough out onto a lightly flowered work surface and let rest for five minutes, loosely covered with a kitchen towel. Line a baking sheet that will fit in your freezer with parchment paper and set aside.Cut the dough into eight equal pieces, approximately 4 ounces in size. Roll each into a five inch long cylinder about one inch in diameter. With the palms of your hands, roll each cylinder into a rope about 12 inches long, of even thickness throughout the entire length. Tie the rope into a loose knot in the center, then tuck the ends under the middle and mold gently into an attractive shape. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough.

When the pretzel dough is shaped, let it sit in a very warm, moist place to rise until almost doubled in size, about 30 to 50 minutes. Freeze the shaped, risen pretzel dough uncovered on the baking sheet for at least 2 hrs. and up to 24 hrs; the dough should be frozen solid.

Before removing the pretzels from the freezer, combine the baking soda and water in a large sauce pan and bring it to a simmer. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Remove the pan from the freezer and, using a large flat skimmer, dip each frozen roll in the simmering water for about 3 seconds, letting the excess water drain before returning it to the baking sheet. Brush the pretzels with the egg and water mixture, then sprinkle coarse salt over them. Immediately place the baking sheet in the hot oven. Bake for 10 minutes, then lower oven temperature to 375 degrees F and bake for 8-12 minutes more.

Nutritional Information
Calories: 262 Calories From Fat: 25%
Protein: 8g Carbohydrate: 41g
Cholesterol: 42mg Sodium: 2017mg
from: http://www.cafecreosote.com/Recipes/recipe.php3?rid=360

A possible quick solution: I noticed in the frozen section of my grocery store they have soft pretzels. Maybe those could be used as a Le Cellier substitute?

I keep forgetting to check this board for recipes. (I usually hang out on the Craft, Cooking & Scrapping board.)

I have these two recipes.

CHEDDAR CHEESE PRETZEL BREAD
Great Pretender for Le Cellier, Canada Pavilion, EPCOT

Makes 1 loaf (20 servings)

½ c chopped onion
1 Tbl butter or margarine
4-5 c all-purpose flour
1 pkg active dry yeast
1 egg
2 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
1¼ c warm water (120°-130°)
1 Tbl sugar
1½ tsp dried Italian seasoning, crushed
½ tsp salt
1 slightly beaten egg white
1 Tbl water
1 tsp coarse salt (optional)

In a small skillet cook onion in hot butter or margarine till tender but not brown, about 7 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.

In a large mixing bowl stir together 1½ cups of the flour and the yeast. Add cooked onion, egg, cheese, 1¼ cups warm water, sugar, Italian seasoning, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6-8 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover and let rise in a warm place till double (1-1¼ hours). Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and let rest for 10 minutes.

Lightly grease a baking sheet. Roll dough into a 48-inch-long rope. On the baking sheet form the rope into a large pretzel shape by crossing one end over the other to form a circle, overlapping about 12 inches from each end. Take one end in each hand and twist once at the point where the dough overlaps. Lift each end across to the edge of the circle opposite. Moisten the ends and tuck underneath; press to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm place till nearly double (about 45 minutes). Stir together egg white and 1 tablespoon water; brush onto bread. If desired, sprinkle lightly with coarse salt.

Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F oven for 40-45 minutes, or till bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped. If necessary, cover loosely with foil the last 20 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Remove from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.

Soft Pretzels
from Epcot's Biergarten Restaurant

Yield: 10 servings.

1 pkg active dry yeast
1½ c warm water (105 F-115 F)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
4 c all-purpose flour
2 eggs
2 Tbl water
Coarse salt
Prepared mustard (optional)

1. Stir and dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Stir in salt, sugar, and 2 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make dough easy to handle. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.

2. Cut dough into 3-ounce pieces and roll into a ball. Allow to rest for about 10 minutes. Roll out dough into strings and then twist dough pieces in the middle. Pick up dough string with two hands, each hand holding one end. Attach the ends to the dough in a pretzel shape. Place pretzel on baking sheet and allow to proof until pretzel string thickness is about double as thick (place in a warm spot with a damp towel on top).

3. Whisk the eggs with water. Brush egg wash on top of pretzels after they proof. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Put on to baking sheets and bake at 400 F for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. Dip in prepared mustard if desired.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter