Pretty Sure They Created a New Festival Just For Us - 2 week Jan DR *COMPLETE

Congrats on your graduation! You definitely need a trip to Celebrate! Also, I was already craving fried chicken, and your pics aren't helping! Good thing I'll be there in August.

brought my Firestick this trip in hopes of using that in the evenings to watch something, but I forgot the remote for it so it was rendered useless. :laughing: Oh well, we were out a lot more in the evenings this trip, so that's way better than watching TV in the room. :goodvibes

This is a weird thing to reply to, but You can control your firstick through an app on your phone if they are connected to the same wifi network.

Congratulations! Your graduation should definitely be celebrated in style. Joining in late but had a great time catching up! Love your report & pics. Yak & Yeti is also a fav but service can be spotty to outright weird. The great food & decor means I'll overlook quite a bit. Sounds like you ran into a poor night manager at Homecomin'. The food is wonderful but that service was just not right.

Thanks Lori! :goodvibes That's what I said!!! :laughing: I am trying to wear Rob down to take a trip Memorial Day week, but he's not budging so far.

Thank you so much!:goodvibes

It was really cute inside. We hit the HS one for the first time this trip too, which looked neat with the theming, but this one is way better.

Thank you! :goodvibes It was so much work, but I am thrilled to be done.

Thank you! I love her buttons! I take them with me every trip and when we are not there they all hang in my cubicle.

I have gone back and forth on adding a small contract at Poly...

Thanks so much! :goodvibes It was good to have a do over so soon after the last trip. This trip was so awesome!

Thank you very much! :thumbsup2

Thank you! :goodvibes It feels AMAZING to be done. Before I know it I will be in the masters program, so I'll enjoy this time off while I can.

What?! That's awesome! I will be there next month for commencement. Going to the Goldenrod for lunch one day and Hanover Street Chophouse for dinner after commencement. Any other good food recommendations or things to see while I'm there?

Thank you! :goodvibes

Thank you so much! :goodvibes Right?!?! That's what I've been saying!

Thank you! :goodvibes DRs are definitely way more fun. I am in love with those ears. I've always wanted them and I've finally been able to get them. Exciting!

Thank you so much! :goodvibes It has not been easy, but it is such a great feeling.

Thank you! :goodvibes I loved my Frozen nails. I love using Jamberry for my trips. Unfortunately they tear my nails up, so I don't use them all year long.

Hanover Street Chophouse is my FAVORITE!!!! We always celebrate anniversaries there - it's spendy!

I would actually recommend the Puritan Backroom over Goldenrod - can't beat their famous chicken tenders - and it's super close to SNHU.

Congrats on your degree! That's awesome!

As a former waitress/bartender for like, a decade, you just grin and bear it. Even if you close at 10, and someone comes in at 9:45, you serve them with a smile. It's part of the gig and also, hate to break it to ya, but you work in a busy tourist restaurant. You're gonna have to work late sometimes!

I hate that kind of stuff. You should pass along that feedback to the restaurant.

Congratulations on your degree! And totally agree with what @nco91590 said above. I have worked in food service before and you grin and bear it when people come in close to closing. Which you guys didn't even do! I mean you were done eating with almost an hour left until they were scheduled to close! I would totally let someone know about your experience. At least the food was good :)

Congratulations, Graduate!

It's breakfast-time here. Is it wrong to see your pics of that yummy fried chicken and instantly neeeeeeed a plate?!? Hmm.

He was from Brazil and his wife was from Cherry Hill, which is pretty close to us, so we talked about NJ for a bit.
Know where Cherry Hill is! I live in the town right next to it!

I got the Firecracker Shrimp. Crispy fried shrimp tossed in a creamy, spicy sauce, Asian slaw.

This looks sooooo good!

I got the Kalbi Steak & Coconut Shrimp. Grilled marinated flat iron steak, pineapple-mango salsa, coconut shrimp, chili plum sauce, wasabi mashed potatoes, stir-fried vegetables.

Also looks amazing! Makes me want to make a reservation here for our next trip.

My first Ghirardelli in what seems like forever! Had to go back to my favorite, The Ocean Beach. Sea Salt Caramel Sundae. Vanilla ice cream smothered with creamy caramel, handmade hot fudge and sea salt. Perfectly topped with whipped cream, creamy caramel, sea salt and a Ghirardelli SQUARES milk chocolate, but I sub in butter pecan ice cream for the vanilla.

Oh man, that's probably a million calories but it looks soon good.

Congratulations on getting your degree. Loving the report so far. We will be there in two weeks

We haven't eaten at Raglan Road in 11 years, no joke! Last time was in March 2006. After reading about your meals there, I think it's time we go back! Congratulations on your graduation! That is a great accomplishment! Yak & Yeti is one of our favorite restaurants, too. We never have a bad meal there. Our server did convince me to get a Landry's card on our last visit, haha! I must be a weaker person than you! Animal Kingdom is my favorite park next to Epcot, so love spending time there. So glad you had such a great day! Wow, what is up with the attitude of some of these servers I've been reading about lately? At least your meal was good at Homecoming! Still haven't gotten there yet, nor Blaze Pizza. Just more things to add to my WDW "to do" list!

Sorry the service was such a bummer @ Homecomin. That can really spoil a meal for me. It's hilarious that they were pleasant on your way out the door. I notice stuff like that too! LOL!!!! :rotfl2:I am glad the food was good though!!!:thumbsup2

This is perfect!!

I nearly rented this today but went with Sully instead. Excited to see both, though!

YESSSS. I can taste that mac and cheese right now! We FINALLY got there last trip and my husband was amazed (As was I) with the food. We got the same thing- except I got the chicken and he had the pork. He had enough cheese that trip so he swapped about halfway through and finished off my potatoes. Omg, that mac and cheese is so darn good.

Thanks! You see some really beautiful sunsets at the Springs.

Sully was really good too! Except after Rob saw it he REALLY swore off planes. :laughing:

They are both awesome! I really can't decide if I like the chicken or the pork better. And while those might be the best mashed potatoes and gravy I have ever had, it is definitely the best mac and cheese ever. It's so good!

What a perfect AK day!!!! It truly is a different park with less heat and people. Yak and Yeti looks like a hit. Those egg rolls are one of my favorites there. Though I haven't tried the firecracker shrimp, we'll have to rectify that.

I still have not tried Ghiardelli. We got to DTD for the first time in forever on our last trip but didn't have room for dessert We're styaying at CBR next time, so planning on lots of DTD time and hopefully lots of salted caramel ice cream.

How weird on the service at Homecoming? If you close at 11, close at 11, and don't make customers feel made for coming in an hour and a half before that. Service aside, the food looks awesome. Can't wait to eat there again!

It really was! Leave out the heat and my love for that park increase by about 90%. Yes! Definitely try the shrimp. They are delish!

Hopefully you do get a lot of time there next trip because the food there is just too good. It's hard to keep us away from there anymore.

Right?! It was so crazy. I hate when that kinda stuff happens. Especially at a place I love.

Congrats on your graduation! You definitely need a trip to Celebrate! Also, I was already craving fried chicken, and your pics aren't helping! Good thing I'll be there in August.

This is a weird thing to reply to, but You can control your firstick through an app on your phone if they are connected to the same wifi network.

Thank you so much! :goodvibes

Not weird at all! That is actually awesome to know. Thanks for the tip!

Congratulations! Your graduation should definitely be celebrated in style. Joining in late but had a great time catching up! Love your report & pics. Yak & Yeti is also a fav but service can be spotty to outright weird. The great food & decor means I'll overlook quite a bit. Sounds like you ran into a poor night manager at Homecomin'. The food is wonderful but that service was just not right.

Thank you! I am super excited. I agree about Yak & Yeti. It has been good but weird at times. That service was very odd because every other time it has been stellar. I was willing to write it off as an off day for those in there, but it was definitely a little frustrating to feel unwanted from the second we walked in the door.

Hanover Street Chophouse is my FAVORITE!!!! We always celebrate anniversaries there - it's spendy!

I would actually recommend the Puritan Backroom over Goldenrod - can't beat their famous chicken tenders - and it's super close to SNHU.

AWESOME!!! I am so glad to hear that! I read good things about Puritan too. Thanks for the tip! I will be there in 2 weeks and I cannot wait!

Congratulations on your graduation!!

Thank you so much! :goodvibes

Congrats on your degree! That's awesome!

As a former waitress/bartender for like, a decade, you just grin and bear it. Even if you close at 10, and someone comes in at 9:45, you serve them with a smile. It's part of the gig and also, hate to break it to ya, but you work in a busy tourist restaurant. You're gonna have to work late sometimes!

I hate that kind of stuff. You should pass along that feedback to the restaurant.

For real. I used to work retail and I got stuck late all the time and now I am a night supervisor at a call center and I have to stay with agents stuck on calls well past my 12:30am end time all the time. I don't like it, but I don't let the customers or my agents know it. It comes with the territory.

Congratulations on your degree! And totally agree with what @nco91590 said above. I have worked in food service before and you grin and bear it when people come in close to closing. Which you guys didn't even do! I mean you were done eating with almost an hour left until they were scheduled to close! I would totally let someone know about your experience. At least the food was good :)

I know! I was so thrown by the attitude from the start. Then I felt all rushed and weird even though I shouldn't. Thankfully we've already had so many great experiences here that I was willing to overlook this one. I should have said something though in hindsight.

Congratulations, Graduate!

It's breakfast-time here. Is it wrong to see your pics of that yummy fried chicken and instantly neeeeeeed a plate?!? Hmm.

:laughing: Nothing wrong with some fried chicken for breakfast. That's why they created chicken and waffles right? :thumbsup2

Know where Cherry Hill is! I live in the town right next to it!

This looks sooooo good!

Also looks amazing! Makes me want to make a reservation here for our next trip.

Oh man, that's probably a million calories but it looks soon good.

You're not too far from me at all!

The food at Y&Y is so tasty and for all the steak and shrimp you get it's not a bad price either. Especially considering it's WDW.

Totally worth every calorie. Calories don't count on vacation anyway from how I understand it. :thumbsup2

Congratulations on getting your degree. Loving the report so far. We will be there in two weeks

Thank you so much! :goodvibes I hope you have an awesome trip!

We haven't eaten at Raglan Road in 11 years, no joke! Last time was in March 2006. After reading about your meals there, I think it's time we go back! Congratulations on your graduation! That is a great accomplishment! Yak & Yeti is one of our favorite restaurants, too. We never have a bad meal there. Our server did convince me to get a Landry's card on our last visit, haha! I must be a weaker person than you! Animal Kingdom is my favorite park next to Epcot, so love spending time there. So glad you had such a great day! Wow, what is up with the attitude of some of these servers I've been reading about lately? At least your meal was good at Homecoming! Still haven't gotten there yet, nor Blaze Pizza. Just more things to add to my WDW "to do" list!

Wow! Yeah I would definitely say you need a trip back to RR. We love it there at night!

Thanks so much! I am so excited for graduation.

I mean, I probably should get one. I just don't like upsets. I instantly shut down. And if I have a problem saying no, Rob never does. :laughing:

Bad service can really ruin an experience. It's a shame. Thankfully I already know that I love Homecoming and it didn't ruin it for me. Homecoming and Blaze are a must! We love the both!

Sorry the service was such a bummer @ Homecomin. That can really spoil a meal for me. It's hilarious that they were pleasant on your way out the door. I notice stuff like that too! LOL!!!! :rotfl2:I am glad the food was good though!!!:thumbsup2

I feel the same way. I hate getting poor service. Bad service ruined the Wave for me years ago and we have not been back since. The difference was so noticeable that Rob and I were perplexed by it. But like you said, at least the food was good!

Today the plan was, no plan! At least for the morning/afternoon. We slept in a bit and got up and about a little later than usual and then decided to take the boat to where else, Disney Springs!

We got there around 11am and had no reservations anywhere, so we just decided to walk around and see which way the wind would blow us. And it was another stunning day perfect for walking around.

Still construction going on at this time at Paddlefish.

I have been dying to check out Frontera Cocina and in the end I won out for our lunch choice.

The inside was stunning, but it was too nice to eat inside today.

The place was almost totally empty and we were taken to a great seat overlooking the Springs. what a view, right?!?!

Our server was super friendly and told us all about the restaurant. I didn't realize that is is owned by Rick Bayless, but he told us all about him and how he is very reserved, but that Art Smith comes in the restaurant all the time and is very approachable and down to earth.

I saw an avocado margarita on the drink list and our server told us that this is a sister restaurant to La Cava, so it's the same drink. Total win!

This is probably my favorite drink ever. And for $15 it had better be. :laughing: It was perfect to sip and enjoy outside on this perfect day.

Rob and I both ordered appetizers. I got chips and salsa.

These were really good, but it was not nearly enough salsa, and to be honest I hate when I have to pay extra for chips and salsa. It should come with the meal if you ask me. The red salsa was my favorite. It had a bit of heat and it was super smokey.

Rob came out of left field with his choice and ordered the Coctel Verde. Poached Mazatlan blue shrimp and Baja bay scallops, tangy serrano-tomatillo salsa, lime, jicama, avocado, warm tortilla chips.

Poor little tink tink. He didn't know this was served cold. :laughing: He did like it though. I had some and loved it. The scallops were particularly tasty and the shrimp were huge. So much flavor in this appetizer.

For our entrees Rob got Carnitas. Slow cooked pork shoulder with garlic and lime, black beans refritos with queso fresco, guacamole, pickled red onions, salsa verde, served with warm corn tortillas.

He liked this but did not love it.

I got the Red Chile Chicken Enchiladas. Just made corn tortillas, chipotle chicken filling, guajillo chili sauce, queso Chihuahua, crispy onions, creamy black beans.

This might have been my favorite thing I ate this trip. It was soooooo good! I don't always love corn tortillas as opposed to flour tortillas, but these went perfectly with the dish. The chicken was so tender and the beans were creamy and plentiful. There was so much cheese on this dish too, but what really kicked it over the edge was the crispy onions. Perfection!

I absolutely loved it here! Rob was lukewarm about it. It was a little pricey, but they did accept TiW which took the sting off. I just think Rob suffered from ordering poorly here. I can't wait to come back! He already knows we have to come back whether he wants to or not. :laughing: Plus I just love Mexican cuisine. It's hands down my favorite food, but these chicken enchiladas were something special!

After lunch we walked around a bit more.

Gorgeous view of Homecoming.

We walked around here for a bit as well. I'm sad we never went up to the rooftop bar here at all this trip. Top of the list for next time!

Not too busy here today.

You know what time it is now!

Movie time!

I LOVE BEN AFFLECK! Like, no. for real. He is my favorite. I was hyped for this movie, especially since I knew we would be able to see it here on vacation. But it was disappointing. Rob actively hated it. He's still talking about how much he hated it. Well, what can you do. They can't all be winners, right?

After the movie we caught a bus to Yacht Club for our next destination.

Beaches & Cream!!!

We didn't have a reservation so we had to wait about 20 minutes for a seat at the bar. Then when they finally seated us the bar was completely empty. :confused3 Weird. Anyway, here is the latest menu.

We were only here for ice cream though.

Rob ordered the Milky Way Sundae. Three Scoops of Vanilla Ice Cream, Hot Fudge, Caramel, whipped cream topped with a cherry.

I ordered my favorite, the No Way Jose. A Peanut Butter and Hot Fudge delight featuring Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Morsels, Whipped Cream, and a Cherry.

I must make a confession. I really really do not like the actual ice cream in the sundaes here. It always tastes like it has freezer burn. In fact, and I hate to say this, but as much as I love the peanut buttery goodness of the No way Jose I might be swearing off Beach & Cream for a couple of trips. I have always loved it here, but I think I need a break. It's not you, it's me. :laughing:

Now we walked over to Epcot for our planned evening. The temperature was perfect for a nice walk.

We were so full from the ice cream and needed to walk it off, so we walked all the way to the front of the park for a ride on Spaceship Earth!

At the end we got someone else's photos in the video. Strange. Rob said he made a particularly weird face this time too, so hopefully no one else got ours. :laughing:

The Festival of the Arts sights were so pretty. Figment!

Loved the massive mural they were working on throughout our trip.

The crowds were so low tonight it was insane. We walked on Nemo and had an awesome time looking at all the fish without a ton of people crowding around every area.

Then we walked on to Living with the Land, which is always a favorite and then we looked at the line for Soarin' just for laughs and we saw this.

That's right, we walked on to Soarin' at like, 6pm. Crazy stuff.

Then we rode Gran Fiesta.

We had the boat all to ourselves and all the other boats around us were empty. Awesome! January people, I'm telling you!

We had reservations for Via Napoli tonight and then FPs for Illuminations, but it had been a long day and we were not hungry enough for pizza at this point, so my best laid plans went out the window. But, I did stop for a later treat. School bread!

They put it in a container for me and we left Epcot for the night. I was wishing we had taken a break in the room after the movie rather than having that darn ice cream and ruining our evening plans, but what can you do. At least I got school bread.

After we got back to the resort we relaxed for a bit and eventually we went down to the food court for dinner.

I must say, the food court here has awesome choices. And they have Coke Freestyle machines and they accept TiW, so it's basically amazing. :laughing:

I went to the build your own pasta station and got penne with a cream sauce, shrimp, red peppers, broccoli, mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes.

Yum!!! They put this in a nice to-go container for me and put shredded parm cheese all over the top. This is so good! I love the build your own pasta station here and at POR. Best bang for your buck if you ask me.

Rob got some kind of chicken sandwich with fries and for some reason he panicked and chose pasta salad as his second side even though he hates pasta salad. :laughing: He said he wanted chips and fries but thought potato and potato was weird and chose poorly. Poor guy.

And just like that, another day is done. We had a great day today and we loved our low crowd Epcot evening. January is our month of choice from here on out!

I got the Red Chile Chicken Enchiladas. Just made corn tortillas, chipotle chicken filling, guajillo chili sauce, queso Chihuahua, crispy onions, creamy black beans.

So now I want to add Frontera Concina to my list for August! Those enchiladas are exactly what I would want to order, they look amazing! Chipotle chicken, creamy black beans AND melty cheesey goodness....how could you go wrong??

I saw an avocado margarita on the drink list and our server told us that this is a sister restaurant to La Cava, so it's the same drink. Total win!

Yum, yum! Even though they are a bit spendy, I do love avocado margaritas. Especially when you are sitting out to eat with such a gorgeous view!

I ordered my favorite, the No Way Jose. A Peanut Butter and Hot Fudge delight featuring Chocolate and Vanilla Ice Cream, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Morsels, Whipped Cream, and a Cherry.

I need to try that sundae! I had the Milky Way last March and liked it but didn't love it. Sadly, I am going to have to give the edge for ice cream to Ample Hills. Although I do still love B&C too.

I went to the build your own pasta station and got penne with a cream sauce, shrimp, red peppers, broccoli, mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes.

Holy pasta! I can't believe that is just one serving! What a great choice for dinner. :)

Hi Jeri! Your trip reports are so much fun!!! I love the fact that you go to movies while on vaca in Disney, because we do that too...

So now I want to add Frontera Concina to my list for August! Those enchiladas are exactly what I would want to order, they look amazing! Chipotle chicken, creamy black beans AND melty cheesey goodness....how could you go wrong??

Yum, yum! Even though they are a bit spendy, I do love avocado margaritas. Especially when you are sitting out to eat with such a gorgeous view!

I need to try that sundae! I had the Milky Way last March and liked it but didn't love it. Sadly, I am going to have to give the edge for ice cream to Ample Hills. Although I do still love B&C too.

Holy pasta! I can't believe that is just one serving! What a great choice for dinner. :)

Yes! Definitely give Frontera Cocina a try. I really loved it. The enchiladas are a must!

Oh yes, they were even better on a beautiful day.

Ample Hills had great flavors. I can't wait to go back there!

It's huge! It is my favorite counter service meal option from any of the hotels.

Hi Jeri! Your trip reports are so much fun!!! I love the fact that you go to movies while on vaca in Disney, because we do that too...

Thanks so much! It's so fun, right?! People think we are crazy, but we love it, glad you do too!

The next morning we were up at a decent time and made the short walk over to the Sassagoula Floatworks and Food Factory, aka the food court at POFQ.

I went with the super healthy option of cheese danish, tater tots and apple juice. :rotfl:

But seriously, those of you who know me know I love Disney cheese danish. It's the best. I have yet to have any that is better than this. The tater tots were yummy and gave me a nice sweet/salty combo to go with my danish.

Rob got the Wolferman's English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich. House-smoked ham, American cheese, scrambled eggs, and maple-bacon jam.

That big hunk of fat on the meat looked nasty. He picked it off and thought this was just okay. I definitely chose better.

We got right on a bus and arrived at MK just in time to see the new show in front of the castle for rope drop. I LOVE the rope drop show in front of the castle way more, but this was cute and it was nice to not be in a mass of people the second you walk through the turnstiles before park opening.

Let's get this day going!

We walked on to Jungle Cruise, POTC Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain, where we DID get wet.

Then it was time to use a FP on SDMT, which was super fun!

We also walked onto Little Mermaid, did Philharmagic, Peter Pan with our second FP and then walked on to PeopleMover. For our final FP we rode Buzz and I got the high score in the first room!

I then spent the rest of the ride taking selfies and taunting Rob for losing to me. Marriage. :rotfl:

Super casual for the ride photo.

So for those of you counting that is 10 rides in three hours. Boom! And now we are out and headed to lunch!

Super productive park day. January. That's all I'm saying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter