Pregnant High School Senior Denied Attendance At Graduation Ceremony

I know! It's the 'do all kinds of horrible things to other human beings, but repent on your deathbed and God will accept you' mentality. I'm surprised she's allowed to keep her kids. She shouldn't have been - wonder if they know what Mommy did?

I'm sure they do, at least the general outline (since other kids would have told them, even if she didn't), but they likely also believe all the same excuses she gave at her trial before the tapes came out (ie, Bernardo made me do it, I'm just another one of his victims, it wasn't my fault, I feel terrible about what happened, etc).

When we're kids we're very, very good at rationalizing and excusing the actions of our parents. We have to be - it's a survival instinct.

It's a private school, and she's a parent. They can make their own rules.

Are they under obligation to legally disclose it to parents of students? I am guessing the answer is NO.

So by going to a private school you may be subjecting your child to "child molesters, etc" without your knowledge.

I was hoping that crap was getting better speaking as a former Catholic.

Are they under obligation to legally disclose it to parents of students? I am guessing the answer is NO.

So by going to a private school you may be subjecting your child to "child molesters, etc" without your knowledge.

I think it probably varies from state to state, denomination to denomination, and school to school. Private schools are subject to some state oversight here in Michigan, and as a Catholic school we also have to comply with archdiocesan rules about background checks and screening of anyone who has contact with students. I would think that when it comes to non-Catholic private schools, it would depend on the standards set by their denomination and accrediting organization.

On the not having the knowledge that sex=babies thing I don't think it is usually as bad as that but some of the more conservative kids I knew honestly thought you had to have sex all the time to get pregnant. There was also people who just didn't understand that the pull out method didn't actually work as 100% b.c. No one really told them it only took 1 time to get pregnant until it happened. There was also the bunch that thought they were above statistics and that no matter how many times they did the deed that they would not be the ones to become teen moms.

As I always say I'm shocked when anyone said "oops we are having a baby" because let's all be honest if you are having sex no matter what protection you use you know that a baby can happen unless one party is 100% sterile.

Not related to school perse but my state requires that when you buy a house you are given information on how to look up individuals on the sex offender list that live near you. So no it wouldn't stop someone from working at a school and living elsewhere and being on the registry but that part crosses private and public school lines at least.

On the not having the knowledge that sex=babies thing I don't think it is usually as bad as that but some of the more conservative kids I knew honestly thought you had to have sex all the time to get pregnant. There was also people who just didn't understand that the pull out method didn't actually work as 100% b.c. No one really told them it only took 1 time to get pregnant until it happened. There was also the bunch that thought they were above statistics and that no matter how many times they did the deed that they would not be the ones to become teen moms.

As I always say I'm shocked when anyone said "oops we are having a baby" because let's all be honest if you are having sex no matter what protection you use you know that a baby can happen unless one party is 100% sterile.
Agreed though when considering those who use protection or have a medical condition that would make pregnancy much more difficult you may place that fact at the back of your mind.

There are people who get pregnant for example when they are on the pill. If taking the pill correctly there is at least a 99% chance of not getting pregnant (I've seen 99% and I've seen 99.9% effective depending on what source you are looking at). But you have to take it perfectly and things like antibiotics can interfere with the effectiveness. People also get pregnant on IUDs too for example.

The risk is so low people can end up ignoring the risk all together. I mean you know there is a risk but still doesn't mean you may really think about that.

Agreed though when considering those who use protection or have a medical condition that would make pregnancy much more difficult you may place that fact at the back of your mind.

There are people who get pregnant for example when they are on the pill. If taking the pill correctly there is at least a 99% chance of not getting pregnant (I've seen 99% and I've seen 99.9% effective depending on what source you are looking at). But you have to take it perfectly and things like antibiotics can interfere with the effectiveness. People also get pregnant on IUDs too for example.

The risk is so low people can end up ignoring the risk all together. I mean you know there is a risk but still doesn't mean you may really think about that.

Yeah I know the statistics make people think it is impossible but 1% still means that it could happen. Unlikely but it could. Add in that 99% effectiveness is for perfect use and the number goes down. Doesn't help that some people don't listen to their doctors who say you actually should wait X amount of days/weeks to be 100% sure it is in affect and it gets even trickier. I know the lower the percentage the less people think they'll be that statistic but someone has got to be the "oops".

The socioeconomic issues/parents affording the lastest styles isn't solved with uniforms, kids can tell who has 2nd hand uniforms/not the latest style of uniform, they can tell who has the designer shoes, the backpack, the watch, any of the other gear kids take wear or use at school.
As far as haircuts some school dress codes are in fact controlling those
Not when none of that is allowed. DD's school uniform is one specific skirt, one specific shirt, and one specific pair of slacks. Everyone has exactly the same uniform pieces. Everyone has the exact same shoes, hair excessories are limited to ribbons of school colors only. No backlacks with visible logos, no jewelry except religious jewelry, worn under clothing.

Not when none of that is allowed. DD's school uniform is one specific skirt, one specific shirt, and one specific pair of slacks. Everyone has exactly the same uniform pieces. Everyone has the exact same shoes, hair excessories are limited to ribbons of school colors only. No backlacks with visible logos, no jewelry except religious jewelry, worn under clothing.

Sounds great (sarcasm) And yet I guarantee you kids still know who has money (or who spends like they have money) and who doesnt

Is she saying that she should be an exception to the rule or is she saying that other's have also committed offences against the rules yet not been punished in the same way? Her's is more visible to others which is the reason she is the scapegoat. It seems to be more a out appearances. Maybe this is an opportunity for the school to use her as an example of someone taking responsibility for her actions.

:offtopic: Sorry - but just had to say this thread was the last one I read before I went to bed last night. And I woke up in the middle of the night paranoid that I'd forgotten to take my b/c pill that day. I had to get up and check my pack. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter