Pre-buying advice

Pendleton

Earning My Ears
Hi - I just gave this advice to my sister so I thought I'd share it with you as well. We recently added on points. If you buy directly from Disney, they can line up your use year so they are the same month, which is a huge bonus to figuring out when points are usable. Since we were adding on at another resort, the 11-month window was really important to us. As you may know, when using the 11-month window, your resort points need to be from the same resort. (Once you hit the 7-month, you can go ahead and book using any resort, but that doesn't help with those hard to book places such as the treehouses, AK values, and Riv Tower rooms that are limited.) Rather than pick a set amount of points you THINK you want to add on, I strongly suggest you look at the points charts, pick when you are likely to travel most and for how long, then calculate how many points those particular rooms last. When we went to add on, we picked an amount and then thankfully realized if we did only a few more points we could have the room we wanted for a full week instead of having to bank or borrow a random number of points or worse having those single digit points leftover. You don't have to buy round numbers, so make sure you think about it before pulling the trigger. If you can get to one of the tours, they usually have a nice gift for purchasers too - so it's a bonus if you know what you want to buy and do it onsite. Hope that helps!

How does buying points from Disney work and what is the typical rate?

I know about the 24 one time points but not buying an additional allotment from them.

Each resort have their own number of points available. For example, I could have added on less points at my current home resort than one of the new ones that had a slightly higher minimum. They usually have a smaller minimum when adding on versus buying a new contract as well as whether you are buying outright or financing. With financing, there is no pre-payment penalty so we ended up financing but paying off right away so we didn't pay the interest. I don't remember the exact interest rate, but it was around 10-11% I believe.

How does buying points from Disney work and what is the typical rate?

I know about the 24 one time points but not buying an additional allotment from them.
Works just like the first purchase from Disney. They charge you a lot more than you pay for a resale and match your UY which makes it a lot easier to use those points. You do pay closing costs now (in the early days there were no closing costs when you purchased direct).

If you can get to one of the tours, they usually have a nice gift for purchasers too - so it's a bonus if you know what you want to buy and do it onsite. Hope that helps!

It's a print of some art with Mickey and Minnie at Riviera. If you go to the open house 2BR at Beach Club, they'll just give it to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter