Post Neck injury and rides

idohair2

Earning My Ears
As luck has it, replanning our trip 1 1/2 years later because of Covid outbreak isn’t our only obstacle. I was in a bad car accident a few weeks ago and have a fractured sternum, fractured wrist, and am in a neck brace from severe whip lash. All braces are to come off the week before our Disney trip.
I’ve been searching on the boards but can’t seem to find which rides to definitely avoid post injury.
1). Is there a dedicated list around here?
2). What questions should I be asking the neuro docs at my follow up visit next week?

thanks!

Here are a couple, some may not be updated: T P List and Ears List

I will say that Haunted Mansion bothered my mom in one particular section and she has neck and back issues. Also, the bouncing on Pooh, although not too jarring, might not be comfortable.

As luck has it, replanning our trip 1 1/2 years later because of Covid outbreak isn’t our only obstacle. I was in a bad car accident a few weeks ago and have a fractured sternum, fractured wrist, and am in a neck brace from severe whip lash. All braces are to come off the week before our Disney trip.
I’ve been searching on the boards but can’t seem to find which rides to definitely avoid post injury.
2). What questions should I be asking the neuro docs at my follow up visit next week?

thanks!

I suggest you repost this on the disAbilities board - I think you will get some good responses there as well. That board may also have some FAQ's that would help - not sure.

I had a TBI from an accident a few years back (I also once just pulled something in my neck - when I was younger). From your injuries and going off my experience - I'm having a hard time thinking of rides that don't risk bothering your neck or other areas. (My 1st trip back to WDW after the TBI was 6-7 months later not right away)

Some rides like Safari in the AK might seem fine (just a jeep ride) but that ride is VERY bumpy if you have an injury. Spinning rides could also put pressure on your neck. Buzz you can control your spin so perhaps that would work. Even the Pooh ride has a bouncy part but it is tamer than many.

I think these could be ok: Jungle Cruise, Pirates (tho there is a small hill the boat goes down), Frozen - also has the hill, Haunted Mansion has the part where the vehicle turns backwards and tilts so you're more prone, and you may need to support your neck, Dumbo or the Flying Carpets - maybe if you don't go up and down because that can be jerky, Small World should be ok, TTA slightly bumpy but ok, Soarin, Livin with the Land, maybe the boat in the Mexico pavilion, Spaceship Earth (also has the tilt back like HM), Nemo in the Living Seas, ToT puts pressure on your neck I think but could be ok... that's all that come to mind that seem ok to me. The rest either spin a lot or have drops, are bumpy or are thrill rides. Also keep in mind that all of the boat rides sometimes stop and start suddenly especially when getting near the off loading area - it can really jerk your head back. The rollers that the boats go over are also bumpy.

I'd discuss the trip with the doc - I'm sure he/she has been to an amusement park or had this come up so hopefully will have good advice. I also suggest starting out with the easiest rides and see how that feels. If you end up aggravating something then your trip will be less pleasant is part of the bigger issue.

If you're there at Christmas you might think about focusing on holiday things (After Hours party, Candlelight Processional, fireworks shows, etc.). If this is a once in a lifetime trip and you don't go back often - I'd think about waiting until spring or summer.

I'll also mention that I use an ECV now for badly arthritic knees - but with your injuries your body is still healing - can you do the walking required? Most lines are adapted for ECV's so you can just tour as you normally would - it doesn't give you any advantage other than it will conserve your energy/a place to sit while waiting.

Last edited:
If you search Disney’s site using the “spy glass”, search THRILL RIDES. This will bring up a list of the rides such as the rollercoasters and such. Keep scrolling down to seeing them all. Also, if you are unsure, there are signs outside each ride that state recent injury. I would avoid those. Even something that looks “tame” can aggravate your injury. Enjoy your trip!!’

Here are a couple, some may not be updated: T P List and Ears List

I will say that Haunted Mansion bothered my mom in one particular section and she has neck and back issues. Also, the bouncing on Pooh, although not too jarring, might not be comfortable.

They list Pirates of the Caribbean as a physical consideration. I don’t remember that being too bad.

I do know from personal experience that IF you ride Kilimanjaro Safari. tell them you need to sit in the front row. They're very nice about it-and one CM I spoke with agreed. There's a huge difference in how jerky/bumpy the ride is in the front vs back. MUCH better in the front.

thanks!
I have whiplash from a car accident in 2019. I avoid rides that jar my body a lot or that I can't keep my neck stationary. It's the pits, but I have tried a few times to do a few that were fast and bumpy and I regretted it. Listen to your body and be logical about your decisions. Hopefully you will recover fully and not have to deal with the effects forever.

You also need to think about what happens if a ride comes to a sudden stop (which they do to accommodate certain guests).

You will probably want to discuss this with your doctor, but at least you can get more info from the internet.

Post 23 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has a list of attractions with warnings and has a bit more information about the warnings.
This is a Direct link to post 23.
The disABILITIES FAQs thread is stuck near the top of this board or you can follow the link in my signature.

I do know from personal experience that IF you ride Kilimanjaro Safari. tell them you need to sit in the front row. They're very nice about it-and one CM I spoke with agreed. There's a huge difference in how jerky/bumpy the ride is in the front vs back. MUCH better in the front.
My family rides in the very front row because she needs to stay in her wheelchair and that is the only row a wheelchair can be placed on.
I’ve also ridden without her in various rows. The front row can still be significantly bumpy; it really depends on which bumps and ruts your driver hits.
except for the very back, I don’t personally feel the front is any less bumpy than when I have ridden in other rows (but you can certainly ask for it if you want).
I can’t post it right now, but have a short video that shows how bouncy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter