Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Flew PVD-MCO roundtrip this past week. After all the recent Southwest snafu's, just wanted to report our flights were near flawless- (our flight home had about a 20 minute delay due to some bags needing to be re-screened). On the way to MCO we had BG B33-37 (I don't buy EBCI; my kids are teens so able to sit by themselves if need be). We were able to sit together (3 and 1) towards the back of the plane. Bags arrived at baggage claim in record time. (We were off the plane at 3:30 and waiting for our Uber by 3:50). Way home we had BG B58-C1. We had just decided to grab the first pairs of seats available- luckily row 2 had 2 seats so my kids grabbed them and DH and I sat in the emergency exit row. There were still empty rows available at the back but we had already sat. Just wanted to shed some hope that high boarding groups don't always mean you can't sit together. (This was actually the first time we split up- I once had mid C boarding group and still got a row together).
Only disappointment is I wasn't able to use my 4 free boarding upgrades with my credit card. No availability (which I figured since the Business fare hadn't been available for quite some time)
Also the gate agent at MCO was very strict about the family boarding- only allowing 2 parents with kids under 6.

Flew PVD-MCO roundtrip this past week. After all the recent Southwest snafu's, just wanted to report our flights were near flawless- (our flight home had about a 20 minute delay due to some bags needing to be re-screened). On the way to MCO we had BG B33-37 (I don't buy EBCI; my kids are teens so able to sit by themselves if need be). We were able to sit together (3 and 1) towards the back of the plane. Bags arrived at baggage claim in record time. (We were off the plane at 3:30 and waiting for our Uber by 3:50). Way home we had BG B58-C1. We had just decided to grab the first pairs of seats available- luckily row 2 had 2 seats so my kids grabbed them and DH and I sat in the emergency exit row. There were still empty rows available at the back but we had already sat. Just wanted to shed some hope that high boarding groups don't always mean you can't sit together. (This was actually the first time we split up- I once had mid C boarding group and still got a row together).
Only disappointment is I wasn't able to use my 4 free boarding upgrades with my credit card. No availability (which I figured since the Business fare hadn't been available for quite some time)
Also the gate agent at MCO was very strict about the family boarding- only allowing 2 parents with kids under 6.
Could you tell me more about what the four free boarding upgrades? Which credit card offers these? And what exactly do they entail?

Could you tell me more about what the four free boarding upgrades? Which credit card offers these? And what exactly do they entail?
The SW Priority card offers 4 upgraded boardings based on availability. AF is $149. https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/southwest/priority?CELL=6TKV
Upgraded boarding allows people on Anytime or Wanna Get Away fares to buy up to a boarding position normally reserved for Business Select tickets. If all 15 Business Select tickets are sold before check in begins 24 hours prior to boarding, upgraded boarding will not be available. Now that you can purchase upgraded boarding online when checking in, it's gotten much more popular than it was when you had to ask at the gate. In 2019 I was able to get A1 flying MCO-MKE, same flight last month and buying upgraded boarding got me A14.

Has anyone been subject to the below . They are reporting testing for family boarding. With United and Frontier making changes regarding children sitting with parents will Southwest be forced to make changes? If this policy goes into effect the value of purchasing early bird for a good boarding position for adult only travel goes way down.

From the Points Guy Website https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest-airlines-expanded-family-boarding-policy/

Based on multiple reports — including my own boarding experience at Dallas Love Field (DAL) in late 2022 — some Southwest flight boarding announcements are utilizing an expanded family boarding age range that includes children all the way up to 13 years old.
That wasn't the only boarding change I observed on my Southwest Airlines flight in late 2022. The youngest flyers up to age 6 were invited to board during a portion of the preboarding process, which occurred before the numbered boarding assignments were called.

Southwest Airlines did not confirm this potential test or any alteration to the family boarding process to TPG. Instead, the company states that the boarding policy remains unchanged to include children 6 and under between the A and B boarding groups, according to a company spokesperson.

Sorry if it's already in all these threads, but didn't SW announce a limited pre-board for families with kids 6 and under, but those families were restricted to sitting beyond the exit rows on the plane - I guess that might be row 10-15 or so? But now possibly expanding to 13 years old? On the one hand, a family purchasing an EB would resolve the problem of sitting together. On the other hand, how many times have we been on a SW flight (or any flight) and you get the announcement that they're looking for someone to change seats so family members can sit together? It's not a straight-forward situation with one solution! As long as they don't go back to how they did it on SW years ago, with families pre-boarding with young children - when you had one 4 year-old with the family, and 18 adult parents, grandparents, cousins, 'neighbors' all boarded with the child - that was just wrong!

Sorry if it's already in all these threads, but didn't SW announce a limited pre-board for families with kids 6 and under, but those families were restricted to sitting beyond the exit rows on the plane - I guess that might be row 10-15 or so? But now possibly expanding to 13 years old? On the one hand, a family purchasing an EB would resolve the problem of sitting together. On the other hand, how many times have we been on a SW flight (or any flight) and you get the announcement that they're looking for someone to change seats so family members can sit together? It's not a straight-forward situation with one solution! As long as they don't go back to how they did it on SW years ago, with families pre-boarding with young children - when you had one 4 year-old with the family, and 18 adult parents, grandparents, cousins, 'neighbors' all boarded with the child - that was just wrong!
My flight flew a few weeks ago was family boarding after A 6 and under as normal. It was a MCO flight, so the amount of family boarding was half the plane. Unfortunately even with buying early bird, I was B-30.

Has anyone been subject to the below . They are reporting testing for family boarding. With United and Frontier making changes regarding children sitting with parents will Southwest be forced to make changes? If this policy goes into effect the value of purchasing early bird for a good boarding position for adult only travel goes way down.

From the Points Guy Website https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest-airlines-expanded-family-boarding-policy/

Based on multiple reports — including my own boarding experience at Dallas Love Field (DAL) in late 2022 — some Southwest flight boarding announcements are utilizing an expanded family boarding age range that includes children all the way up to 13 years old.
That wasn't the only boarding change I observed on my Southwest Airlines flight in late 2022. The youngest flyers up to age 6 were invited to board during a portion of the preboarding process, which occurred before the numbered boarding assignments were called.

Southwest Airlines did not confirm this potential test or any alteration to the family boarding process to TPG. Instead, the company states that the boarding policy remains unchanged to include children 6 and under between the A and B boarding groups, according to a company spokesperson.
That is a whole topic already having been discussed so in depth on old threads (and even new ones). The gist is that the adjustment of family boarding age 12 no charge never applied nor does apply to airlines like Southwest who operates on an open seating policy as the discussion was about charging for seat assignment next to each other which doesn't exist with SWA's model. That is explicitly stated in the government documents (the open seating exemption).

However that does not mean that SWA doesn't choose on their own to adjust things or in the case of the above (and I had heard similar such flights) testing of things. It's like how SWA was testing boarding sometimes last year too with respects to where families sat (I'm pretty sure that was the case). Things get tested don't stick some things do. I think we have to take this as random testing at this point (IMO).

The SW Priority card offers 4 upgraded boardings based on availability. AF is $149. https://creditcards.chase.com/travel-credit-cards/southwest/priority?CELL=6TKV
Upgraded boarding allows people on Anytime or Wanna Get Away fares to buy up to a boarding position normally reserved for Business Select tickets. If all 15 Business Select tickets are sold before check in begins 24 hours prior to boarding, upgraded boarding will not be available. Now that you can purchase upgraded boarding online when checking in, it's gotten much more popular than it was when you had to ask at the gate. In 2019 I was able to get A1 flying MCO-MKE, same flight last month and buying upgraded boarding got me A14.
Last year on a trip, I was able to upgrade to A4-8. It was great. I'm not flying SW again this year (as of now) so my upgrades will not be used.

My flight flew a few weeks ago was family boarding after A 6 and under as normal. It was a MCO flight, so the amount of family boarding was half the plane. Unfortunately even with buying early bird, I was B-30.
Yes, we've seen the direct correlation between kids and MCO flying - wonder why that is?! I can see B30 not helping you much on that flight!

Is this different from the “free” EBCI the credit cards offered previously? (Idk if they still do.)

Is this different from the “free” EBCI the credit cards offered previously? (Idk if they still do.)
Yes, EBCI is a guaranteed benefit. And just puts you in line along with everyone else. The Upgraded boardings guarantee you one of the first 15 boarding positions if available. It's not uncommon at this point to have EBCI go back to late B.

Thanks! I actually have 4 SW credit cards between DH and I. I’m planning on burning up my points and getting rid of them though because PHL is our home airport, and unfortunately SW has significantly pulled out from there. The pickings are just too slim for us to fly them much anymore.
Yeah I can totally get that. My husband decided he wanted to explore more broad travel CCs and so he got the Chase Sapphire Reserve card last year which helped significantly pay for our flights and hotel for our cruise this summer. Plus we've been using the lounge access (sooo hard not to get used to that). My husband also just recently got the Chase Freedom (which does not have an annual fee) to bridge the gap in rewards that the Reserve does not.

We still have branded Amex Delta card and the one SWA Premier card but it's sorta at a crossroads in wanting a specific airline card in light of how restricting it can be in favor of just a broad travel card.

I have a $150 LUV voucher that I'd like to turn into a $150 non-expiring travel fund before it expires in June. I'm a little confused about which way to book the flight I intend to cancel and how to receive credit for the fees charged: Book a $149 flight and pay the fees with a credit card, resulting in travel fund of $149, with the fees being credited back to my credit card? OR should I book a cheaper $129 flight, again paying fees by credit card, resulting in flight cost & fees all being turned into one travel fund? Any advice?

Also, although the LUV voucher is in my account, I'd like the credited travel fund to be in my cousin's name and her account - since the voucher was given for a piece of her damaged luggage but I applied for it. So should I purchase the flight with the LUV voucher in her account?

I would book a WGA+ fare of 150, paying the balance on a CC, wait 25 hours then cancel to get it into a transferable TF. Have your cousin give you whatever in cash to make up what you had to pay for taxes & fees.

I have a $150 LUV voucher that I'd like to turn into a $150 non-expiring travel fund before it expires in June. I'm a little confused about which way to book the flight I intend to cancel and how to receive credit for the fees charged: Book a $149 flight and pay the fees with a credit card, resulting in travel fund of $149, with the fees being credited back to my credit card? OR should I book a cheaper $129 flight, again paying fees by credit card, resulting in flight cost & fees all being turned into one travel fund? Any advice?

Also, although the LUV voucher is in my account, I'd like the credited travel fund to be in my cousin's name and her account - since the voucher was given for a piece of her damaged luggage but I applied for it. So should I purchase the flight with the LUV voucher in her account?
FYI to be able to use a $150 LUV Voucher you will need to book a flight that is more than $150. The LUV Voucher can only be applied towards the base fare and not any of the taxes and fees. When booking with points only the 9/11 Security Fee needs to be paid in cash ($5.60 for domestic flights), but with a LUV Voucher all of the taxes and fees need to be paid in cash. That amount seems to vary per airport/flight so you might need to experiment a bit to find a flight that uses all of the $150 voucher. Also I think you can book it from your account, but the flight would need to be in your cousin's name in order for the Travel Funds to be in their name.

FYI to be able to use a $150 LUV Voucher you will need to book a flight that is more than $150. The LUV Voucher can only be applied towards the base fare and not any of the taxes and fees. When booking with points only the 9/11 Security Fee needs to be paid in cash ($5.60 for domestic flights), but with a LUV Voucher all of the taxes and fees need to be paid in cash. That amount seems to vary per airport/flight so you might need to experiment a bit to find a flight that uses all of the $150 voucher. Also I think you can book it from your account, but the flight would need to be in your cousin's name in order for the Travel Funds to be in their name.

Thanks for your reply. Would the taxes and fees be turned into travel funds upon cancellation or would they be refunded to the credit card?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter