Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

My experience with the MCO SWA bag check is that the "line" can look daunting, but it actually moves fairly quickly despite it looking like chaos. Most everyone is funneling into the set of self-serve kioks which are reasonably easy to use (especially if you're familiar with them). I've usually seen SWA staff inside the line directing people to open kiosks to keep things moving.
This is how it was back in Feb. The line was really long but only took about 25 minutes.

Did funds used to expire after one year? I think I have a few bucks from an August 2021 trip out there…
It was one year from the date of purchase, not travel date. Those may have already expired, wouldn’t hurt to check though. I have been so out of the loop I hadn’t heard about the change to no expiration.

I have a credit left over from a May flight that I booked last December. The expiration date switched from a December expiration date to None.

View attachment 688841
Thanks for putting that screenshot in there :) My husband checked his funds last night and it had the 2040 date but I showed him your screenshot so we know that will eventually update to none.

New information on the Southwest web site this morning

Flight credits unexpired on or created on or after July 28, 2022 will not expire. No action is required on your part! If you have unexpired flight credits as of July 28, they will not expire and are available for you to use.
This is great news! I always accumulate travel funds because I always look for my flights to go on sale. Last year I lost some funds because they expired before I could take another flight. Now I don't have to worry about it. :)

Did funds used to expire after one year? I think I have a few bucks from an August 2021 trip out there…
They used to expire 1 year from date of purchase. So if you had bought your tickets in May for your August trip, and then either got some money back or cancelled, then those funds would've expired the next May.

So I currently have Business Select ticket and considering changing to a lower fare I don’t see the value for us in keeping the higher priced ticket....don’t need the free drink and already have TSA PRE and Clear so don’t need the priority lines....I originally upgraded to the business select ticket in order to use up the travel funds I had that were expiring on 9/29/22 and were going to go to waste but now if I change to the lower fare I’ll save $80 which will become a non-expiring travel fund.

So I currently have Business Select ticket and considering changing to a lower fare I don’t see the value for us in keeping the higher priced ticket....don’t need the free drink and already have TSA PRE and Clear so don’t need the priority lines....I originally upgraded to the business select ticket in order to use up the travel funds I had that were expiring on 9/29/22 and were going to go to waste but now if I change to the lower fare I’ll save $80 which will become a non-expiring travel fund.
Sounds like a plan to me. The non-expiring funds is a really great benefit, in my opinion. Hubby and I have a bunch of points right now from having worked to earn CPs, so we aren't traveling on cash any time soon. But, if we can grab a refund now on cash flights and then use that later, after we've burned through our points, all the bettter!!!

Sounds like a plan to me. The non-expiring funds is a really great benefit, in my opinion. Hubby and I have a bunch of points right now from having worked to earn CPs, so we aren't traveling on cash any time soon. But, if we can grab a refund now on cash flights and then use that later, after we've burned through our points, all the bettter!!!
Well I made the change and the paid part was refunded to my credit card and the remainder was changed back into travel fund but its showing an expiration date for 9/29/2022...so now I’m hoping that will change to non expiring.
Update: travel fund has changed to “non expiring 😊

Last edited:
Any funds unexpired as of 7/28 no longer have an expiration date. It's really awesome of them to do it that way, as it gives people added benefit who booked assuming an expiring funds rule (myself included) this past year and now get the unexpiring benefit.
Sorry, do you have a link to this announcement? Just trying to understand it and when it begins.

Thanks!

Sorry, do you have a link to this announcement? Just trying to understand it and when it begins.

Thanks!
No action needed—your flight credit is ready to use.
View in web browser | View our mobile site
m-eHero1-reliability-head-20200309.png
We have good news to share!
As of July 28, our flight credit policy has changed. With this change, now your flight credit(s) that are unexpired on or created on or after July 28, 2022 will not expire! No action is required on your part—your applicable flight credit is available and ready for you to use. When viewing your flight credit, you will temporarily see an expiration date until we are able to update our systems. That said, there is no longer an expiration date for your flight credit. Remember a flight credit with an expiration date on or before July 27, 2022 is still expired and not available for use.
Check the balance of your flight credit:
  • If your Rapid Rewards® number was included in the reservation associated with your flight credit, you can check your flight credit balance in your My Account Payments Tab (on Southwest.com®) or under My Travel Funds (on the mobile app and mobile website).
  • If you did not include a Rapid Rewards number in your booking, you can also check the balance on the Check Travel Funds page using the confirmation number from your canceled reservation.
Use your flight credit to book travel:
When you're ready to use your flight credit, go through the booking flow as you normally would and choose your date, destination, and flight times.
  1. Access the payment details depending on your booking source.
  2. From Southwest.com:
    On the Passenger & Payment Info page, expand the Apply Flight Credits, LUV Vouchers, and gift cards section.
    From the mobile app or mobile website:
    On the purchase screen, select Apply Travel Funds.
  3. Enter Confirmation Number, Passenger First Name, and Passenger Last Name and click Apply Funds
We look forward to seeing you onboard soon!
Cualquier información publicitaria, promocional o de mercadotecnia contenida en este correo electrónico solo será efectiva y únicamente será aplicable en los Estados Unidos de América.
This is a post-only mailing from Southwest Airlines. Please do not attempt to reply to this message.
Southwest Airlines
2702 Love Field Drive
Dallas, TX 75235
This e-mail was sent to: abjolles@gmail.com
© Copyright 2022 Southwest Airlines Co. All Rights Reserved.
r

No action needed—your flight credit is ready to use.
View in web browser | View our mobile site
m-eHero1-reliability-head-20200309.png
We have good news to share!
As of July 28, our flight credit policy has changed. With this change, now your flight credit(s) that are unexpired on or created on or after July 28, 2022 will not expire! No action is required on your part—your applicable flight credit is available and ready for you to use. When viewing your flight credit, you will temporarily see an expiration date until we are able to update our systems. That said, there is no longer an expiration date for your flight credit. Remember a flight credit with an expiration date on or before July 27, 2022 is still expired and not available for use.
Check the balance of your flight credit:
  • If your Rapid Rewards® number was included in the reservation associated with your flight credit, you can check your flight credit balance in your My Account Payments Tab (on Southwest.com®) or under My Travel Funds (on the mobile app and mobile website).
  • If you did not include a Rapid Rewards number in your booking, you can also check the balance on the Check Travel Funds page using the confirmation number from your canceled reservation.
Use your flight credit to book travel:
When you're ready to use your flight credit, go through the booking flow as you normally would and choose your date, destination, and flight times.
  1. Access the payment details depending on your booking source.
  2. From Southwest.com:
    On the Passenger & Payment Info page, expand the Apply Flight Credits, LUV Vouchers, and gift cards section.
    From the mobile app or mobile website:
    On the purchase screen, select Apply Travel Funds.
  3. Enter Confirmation Number, Passenger First Name, and Passenger Last Name and click Apply Funds
We look forward to seeing you onboard soon!
Cualquier información publicitaria, promocional o de mercadotecnia contenida en este correo electrónico solo será efectiva y únicamente será aplicable en los Estados Unidos de América.
This is a post-only mailing from Southwest Airlines. Please do not attempt to reply to this message.
Southwest Airlines
2702 Love Field Drive
Dallas, TX 75235
This e-mail was sent to: abjolles@gmail.com
© Copyright 2022 Southwest Airlines Co. All Rights Reserved.
r

Thanks so much! I had a small flight credit that I tried to use when I booked earlier this month but it would not allow me as it was going to expire before our flights in Feb. It's still showing now so guessing I will be able to use it the next time I book.

This is great news as I always purchase flights on opening day and many times any advantage I've earned when flight prices drop, expire before we'd be able to use them. So happy with this change! Thanks Southwest!!

Last edited:
Southwest is pretty smart doing this. We had credits leftover from 2020 that were expiring on Sept 7. By removing the expiration we now just decided to use those credits to fly in December instead of driving. Cost us an additional $200 total for two of us on top of our credits. More $ for Southwest...and good for us too..

Last summer, we got dropped off and checked our luggage curbside. It was very quick. They do expect a tip out there but a few bucks is worth it to skip the inside line. We used a car service to get back to the airport.
We did curbside 2 weeks ago after walking in to long lines. 3 or 4 people ahead of us.
Any funds unexpired as of 7/28 no longer have an expiration date. It's really awesome of them to do it that way, as it gives people added benefit who booked assuming an expiring funds rule (myself included) this past year and now get the unexpiring benefit.
Coincidence it was announced the same day as the Jet Blue/ Spirit merger? -;)

RE: the flight credit never expiring.

Let's say I'm a week away from my trip and my plans change. I can cancel that flight, get my money "back" in the form of a flight credit and then use that to book new flights in 2025 (for example)? If so, this is a HUGE change.

We were scheduled to fly to Disney World for Marathon Weekend followed by a cruise this past January. To make sure we remained healthy for those two events, we decided to drive literally days before. But then we had to use those flights by June (when we originally booked them). We didn't have a trip planned, so we used the credits to visit my snowbird parents, which was nice, but not necessary. It would have been better to have the credits to use for a future vacation flight.

RE: the flight credit never expiring.

Let's say I'm a week away from my trip and my plans change. I can cancel that flight, get my money "back" in the form of a flight credit and then use that to book new flights in 2025 (for example)? If so, this is a HUGE change.

We were scheduled to fly to Disney World for Marathon Weekend followed by a cruise this past January. To make sure we remained healthy for those two events, we decided to drive literally days before. But then we had to use those flights by June (when we originally booked them). We didn't have a trip planned, so we used the credits to visit my snowbird parents, which was nice, but not necessary. It would have been better to have the credits to use for a future vacation flight.
Yup!!

It really is a game changer for cash flights. There's the situation like yours where you had to totally cancel the trip, but it also makes those little changes when a fare drops actually worthwhile for folks who don't travel a ton. If you take one family trip a year, then the "no fee change, get a credit for the difference if a flight goes down" was essentially useless for that group. They weren't using the credit before it expired. Now, they can hold those funds and SW becomes a better deal when they start looking at their next big trip in the coming year(s).

Anyone familiar with MDW (Chicago Midway)? I have two options for a flight with a layover (I don’t want a layover but there are no direct flights). I will fly PHL-MDW-SNA. There is an option that leaves PHL at 5:30 am with an almost 5 hour layover, or one that leaves at 8:45 am with a 55 minute layover. Obviously I don’t want to hang around an airport for 5 hours but am nervous the 55 minute layover will not be enough time. I will purchase EBCI either way. I’ve never flown into MDW before, so I’m completely unfamiliar. Both flights cost the same. WWYD?
I would take the 55 min layover unless you really have an issue with mobility or have to have a specific seat. You have a morning flight which is better than a late flight for delays, you don't say when in the year it is but even in winter I would book now the 55 minute layover and if the weather looks bad in either PHL or Chicago be prepared to change on the fly and either go to the earlier flight, change connection airports or change days.
Since the construction I've never had any problems making it anywhere in the concourses in less than 10 minutes.

I am going to purchase some tickets for my son and daughter in law to be for travel in the fall. They will be married when they travel and she will have her married name on her ID assume. Do I just call to adjust the name to her married name?

Thanks

Anyone ever experience EBCI purchased at the same time but I got B26, 31,37 for today's flight. I've never had them be out of order in the past. Seem weird?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter