Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Weird question... If I book fully on points and have to cancel, will I get the 9/11 security fees refunded? I know I'll get the points back.

The 9/11 Security Fee will automatically be refunded as a credit and associated with the original confirmation number and is usable only by the original passenger. You can request a refund to your CC and it will typically be honored. But you do have to request it.

If you just change the flight but still use points (even if the number of points for the new flight is different), the security fee will just be transferred to the new flight.

Steve

The 9/11 Security Fee will automatically be refunded as a credit and associated with the original confirmation number and is usable only by the original passenger. You can request a refund to your CC and it will typically be honored. But you do have to request it.

If you just change the flight but still use points (even if the number of points for the new flight is different), the security fee will just be transferred to the new flight.

Steve
Thank you for the information!

Came here to post that SW has some $37 each way flights from PHL to PBI (Palm Beach) in Jan and Feb. Not sure if they have good deals any other airports (I just happened to be looking for a winter getaway). I clicked on the monthly view and there they were! And decent flight times too. Had enough miles that I booked 4 round trip tickets for $44! Wanted to give a heads up in case anyone out wanted to plan a getaway. May even be worth it to rent a car and drive from PBI to WDW if that's what you wanted to do.

Hi all,
Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated! Looking at prices for mid April and they are super high or sold out. Is this something we need to book immediately or do prices tend to drop in the new year? We have never traveled this time of year and I’m fearful bc it is Spring break in some areas. Help!! Thoughts?!

Hi! We are flying SW from New Orleans to MCO Thursday 1/25 and returning Wednesday 1/31. It will be me, DH, and our 3 year old. We have never flown with her before. Which is better, early bird check in or family boarding? We don’t care where we sit on the plane, we just want to sit together.

Would both of us be able to go through family boarding with her?

I’ve read that family boarding can be crazy at MCO, and sometimes they don’t even do it. Any thoughts if that would be a problem on a Wednesday flight in the morning?

Also is it possible to do early bird check in on our flight home only?

Any thoughts and advice is appreciated!

Hi! We are flying SW from New Orleans to MCO Thursday 1/25 and returning Wednesday 1/31. It will be me, DH, and our 3 year old. We have never flown with her before. Which is better, early bird check in or family boarding? We don’t care where we sit on the plane, we just want to sit together.

Would both of us be able to go through family boarding with her?

I’ve read that family boarding can be crazy at MCO, and sometimes they don’t even do it. Any thoughts if that would be a problem on a Wednesday flight in the morning?

Also is it possible to do early bird check in on our flight home only?

Any thoughts and advice is appreciated!

As for which is better, it is difficult to say, sometimes the early bird will get you an A boarding pass, sometimes it will be in B. Since family boarding is after A, obviously it would be better than a B boarding pass.

As for both of you going through with her, I have never experienced nor heard of a case of two parents not being allowed to board with one child, however please note Southwest policy:
An adult traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an “A” boarding pass, they should board in their assigned boarding position.

Also, yes, it is possible to just do early bird check in on the flight home. Many people will do this for the simple reason that they don't want to have to worry about checking in right at the 24-hour mark when they are on vacation.

I checked in for our flight, and our boarding passes (Southwest) are not looking like they used to. I feel like something is wrong with them, but maybe they have changed since I last flew (August 2017). There is no bar code on them. Is that correct? Also, does one pass work for my DH and me? I'm really confused!

I checked in for our flight, and our boarding passes (Southwest) are not looking like they used to. I feel like something is wrong with them, but maybe they have changed since I last flew (August 2017). There is no bar code on them. Is that correct? Also, does one pass work for my DH and me? I'm really confused!

As far as I know, they should have bar codes. Sometimes browsers mess up downloading pictures, so I'm wondering if there's an issue there. Shouldn't be a problem, but when you go to the kiosk at the airport, I'd reprint them.

Is there any way to know when August 2018 fares will be released? I want to book as soon as they open those flights but for a few weeks now it stops at 8/6.

Is there any way to know when August 2018 fares will be released? I want to book as soon as they open those flights but for a few weeks now it stops at 8/6.

If you Google "Southwest fare release date" the first link that comes up is from there website listing the next release date and when the schedule will open through at that time. This is what it currently says:

We are currently accepting air reservations through August 6, 2018. On February 8, 2018 we will open our schedule for sale through September 28, 2018. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.

Mistakenly booked flights with first and last name, forgetting that that should match our passports exactly (including middle name). I can't figure out if there is a way to correct names within the Southwest site, or should I even be concerned about it?

Question about connecting flights and boarding #. It's been awhile since we've been on a connecting SWA flight.

When I check-in and get a boarding # (for ex: B16) do I have that position for both flights? Or do they give you a boarding # for each leg (for ex: 1st leg B16, second leg C8).

I'm looking at flights to MCO and I can get "free" flights connecting through Nashville using my miles, vs having to pay OOP for 2 out of 4 seats for a NS flight. Trying to way the pros and cons.

Question about connecting flights and boarding #. It's been awhile since we've been on a connecting SWA flight.

When I check-in and get a boarding # (for ex: B16) do I have that position for both flights? Or do they give you a boarding # for each leg (for ex: 1st leg B16, second leg C8).

I'm looking at flights to MCO and I can get "free" flights connecting through Nashville using my miles, vs having to pay OOP for 2 out of 4 seats for a NS flight. Trying to way the pros and cons.
You’ll be given a different boarding position for each leg of the flight, but you’ll only have to check in once.

Did EBCI and got our boarding positions today. A29, A30, A31. I was happy to see "A". I've never flown Southwest before, so I'm not exactly sure how it all works. So...how does it work? LOL

Did EBCI and got our boarding positions today. A29, A30, A31. I was happy to see "A". I've never flown Southwest before, so I'm not exactly sure how it all works. So...how does it work? LOL

When you arrive at the gate you will see signs near boarding that say A 1-30, A 31-60(changing for B and C when it is their turn) that have space in between - when they call A to line up, you will get in line in your correct order(at the end of A 1-30 for you). You will board in that order, and pick any seat you would like that is open. With that spot, you will have many choices.

The gate agents do a good job of walking you through the process (provided people are listening, of course).

The following is from the Southwest website:

How does the boarding process work?
You will be assigned a boarding group (A, B, or C) and position (1-60+) upon check in. Your unique group and position combination (for example: A35) will be displayed on your boarding pass and represents a reserved spot in the boarding group at the gate. Numbered posts in each of our gate areas indicate where to line up. When your boarding group is called, find your designated place in line and board the aircraft in numerical order with your boarding group.

Do I have an assigned seat?
Southwest-operated flights have open seating. Once onboard, simply choose any available seat and stow your carryon items in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you.

How will I know when it's my turn to board the plane?
Our friendly Agents will make an announcement in the gate area for each boarding group to assemble. When your group is called, line up in numerical order by the column that represents your boarding position (columns are labeled in groups of five), and board the airplane. There are also monitors at the front of the lines that display the group that is currently boarding.​

It's really not difficult - it's just different. And a lot more efficient overall. With those boarding numbers you will have virtual any seat on the plane to choose from.
Caveat - if your flight is not originating from your airport, there will could well be a number of passengers already on the plane as "through passengers" and your seat options will be correspondingly fewer. It still won't be a problem finding seats together though.

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter