Possibly having to cancel someone from our reservations....

hyerpraise

Mouseketeer
Hello All,
Sort of a weird question. I love the fact that I can save a few dollars by paying for a Disney Vacation by gift cards purchased from Sam’s. Our family (5 of us) is going at the end of July so our 30 day window and payment due is next week. My MIL is coming with us and her father in law has just been put under hospice care. We have purchased the trip insurance when we booked our vacation. We hope she can come with us but understand there is a strong likelihood that we may have to cancel her portion of the trip. If that happens and we paid via gift cards, how would the reimbursement come back to us from either Disney or the Trip Insurance Company? Would we be refunded by the same method of payment, which in this case would be gift cards, or would we be reimbursed via check?

Not sure that I would want the reimbursement to be via gift card so I may just not assume that risk and pay via credit card.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Hello All,
Sort of a weird question. I love the fact that I can save a few dollars by paying for a Disney Vacation by gift cards purchased from Sam’s. Our family (5 of us) is going at the end of July so our 30 day window and payment due is next week. My MIL is coming with us and her father in law has just been put under hospice care. We have purchased the trip insurance when we booked our vacation. We hope she can come with us but understand there is a strong likelihood that we may have to cancel her portion of the trip. If that happens and we paid via gift cards, how would the reimbursement come back to us from either Disney or the Trip Insurance Company? Would we be refunded by the same method of payment, which in this case would be gift cards, or would we be reimbursed via check?

Not sure that I would want the reimbursement to be via gift card so I may just not assume that risk and pay via credit card.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
I would double-check the fine print of your travel insurance. That should tell you how you will be reimbursed. I would also make sure that it covers your MIL's circumstances.

Do you have a package? It might be best to leave her out of the reservation for now and add her on later, but if you have a package you'll have to buy her a park ticket to keep her park reservations.

You get the refund the same way you paid if you cancel with sufficient time. If you do not, you pay a penalty and then should get reimbursed (if a covered event) in a check

If you would just want to remove your MIL. It would be considered, as you are modifying your vacation. Refunds would be made, in same form of payment

how would the reimbursement come back to us from either Disney or the Trip Insurance Company?

Any refund from WDW would go to the gift cards. The travel insurance will only reimburse non-refundable out-of-pocket -- so essentially what WDW doesn't reimburse.

If a whole package reservation is canceled from WDW within the 30 days, they charge the $200 deposit and all else is refunded. That's if nobody from your party will be going. If you only remove 1 person off a reservation (and the rest of your party will go), I think it is considered a "change" with just a $50 fee.

The travel insurance will reimburse whatever fee WDW withholds from the refund. If just your MIL is removed, probably $50. And that's assuming it's a covered reason, etc. That reimbursement will most likely come in the form of a check but confirm with your insurance policy.

If you're refunded to the gift card, it's not the end of the world. You can use it to pay for your expenses while at WDW. Just make sure to go to the front desk the night before you check out and you'll be able to apply your balance to the gift card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter