Possible switch to Universal from Disney - Pros Cons?

I'd be more inclined to go to SeaWorld and Aquatica vs. Universal with your kid's ages. It was always a favorite of my kids at those ages. It's a really relaxing park compared to Disney (beautiful park).

Are you going to Disney in May? It really seems the LL and Genie+ situation is terrible. I don't want to wake up earlier than I have to on vacation just to try and book a ride! And it is weird they give almost no benefit to hotel guests, pass holders, etc. I hope they learn this lesson quickly. I'd love for my kids to enjoy the Disney magic when they are young. Universal is looking more and more desirable...

I've been to WDW 4x/year for since 2005 - I was there the end of January 2022. In May I will be going to Universal.

I absolutely love Universal, and would recommend it over Disney to nearly everyone, except people with very young children. Nothing beats the character interactions at that age and Universal doesn't even compare in this regard. Stay in the Disney bubble for the whole trip and don't let G+ or LL get in the way of making memories with your young kids.

Then in a couple of years, if you decide you want to "switch" to Universal like my family, it will be right there waiting for you.

We were at Universal a few weeks ago with our 10yo 2yo and 14yo niece. The big kids think it’s heaven. I was very disappointed in the options for the 2yo. It is a very loud and stimulating environment, I hated their rider swap system (little kid waits the whole time and has none of the fun). We did the playgrounds a little, they were fine. There was some street entertainment and he liked the pool. We waited more than an hour to take the suess trolley which was a special kind of torture.

All kids are different but my older son wouldn’t have liked universal before he turned 10 and started loving thrill rides. I wouldn’t take a kid under 10 there again. But to each their own!

It’s apples and oranges for me. Neither is perfect. My husband and I prefer Disney over Universal. Two of our closest friends prefer Universal over Disney. Neither is wrong.

Where Disney wins for us: overall theming, variety of attractions for all ages to enjoy, the level of detail you see in the tiniest things, way more to see and do as an entire property including lots of experiences outside of the theme parks. Where Universal wins for us: more thrill rides, Harry Potter IP, can hit everything we want to do in one day, express pass is nice and simple

So many want to put the two against each other. I don’t get that. I love both and will continue to visit both for their own reasons. Both have their flaws and their strengths. Hopefully you find a way to enjoy both yourself!

Last edited:
It looks like Sapphire Falls would be a big savings over my dates (vs portion of our stay at Animal Kingdom lodge), enough of a savings that I can definitely by an express pass for each (the price difference is greater than pass for the premium Uni hotels).
WE will also do one pool day at the resort. Sapphire falls looks like a great pool, is there a good pool bar too? Thanks so much!

I've heard good things about the SF pool, but the pools at Cabana Bay are even better. The good news is that you can pool hop and CB is right across the street from SF.

Can anyone give me feedback on universal w/ young kids? I always knew it would be great when they are older, is there enough to do with a 3 yr old at universal?

I don't have any kids so take that into consideration - and as others have said it depends on how tall and brave your 3 yo is - but Universal has versions of some Disney classics, they just tend to be a bit more intense/wilder than Disney. For example:

ET is Peter Pan
Storm Force Accelatron is Tea Cups
Men in Black is Toy Story Mania
Kang and Kodos/One Fish Two Fish is Dumbo
Hippogriff is Barnstormer
Cat in the Hat is Little Mermaid
Minions is Soarin (but a lot milder and there is stationary seating)
Hagrids is Big Thunder Mountain, but a lot faster and a lot smoother (with two additional "surprises")
Popeye is Kali Rapids, but wetter (you WILL get soaked)
Jurassic Park is Splash Mountain

There are also several streets shows (Blue Brothers, HP shows in both parks) that happen fairly regularly that are quite entertaining and you can just show up around the time they start (or while they are happening) without any pressure. The night shows (Cinematic Celebration in US and Hogwarts castle show in IOA) are great and are very much "show up 15 minutes before show time and you'll get a good spot to watch." Animal Actors is a family friendly show.

If you are determined to go ride to ride to ride to ride, then no, there probably isn't enough. However, if you want to be able to say "yes" when the kids say "10 more minutes" on the play area or hit the pool for the entire afternoon or make s'mores and do nightly movies by the pool without worrying that you're missing something, then you can definitely find things to do at Universal. But you do need to embrace the relaxation part of your vacation and lose "I must jam something into every minute of the day" mentality.

I love HP, are there sections of HP world that are kid friendly?

All of HP world is kid-friendly. And even if your kid can't go on the big HP rides, they can still go through the lines which are experiences in themselves. There are so many nooks and crannies to explore if you slow down to take everything in.

And is the express pass worth the cost?

It depends on when you are going and what your expectations are. Personally, I've never found the value in them, but others swear by them. But I also tend to travel during lower crowd times. If you are doing multiple days, maybe buy them for a day or two at the beginning of the trip and hit the must-dos. Then at the end of your trip, you can use early entry and/or the end of the day to do re-rides.

Unfortunately for me Universal has also become a price choice as well. Your wallet won't scream in pain when you leave Universal (well most times) Also there are days when it is much less crowded (with the exception of the Harry Potter Areas). So there are days when you absolutely do not need express pass. Weekends tend to be the most crowded. If you are considering the express pass, you might consider one of the hotels on property that have it included. Also if you are just suffering from planning overload that Disney can at times be, Universal is a nice respite.

I chose Universal because Disney has become more stressful and Universal just is not stressful that often. Also if you want to do a water park do consider Volcano Bay. It has a great area for kids. I just love this water park. With it's tropical, south seas theme it is so up my alley.

I dropped my Disney AP in February and have no plans to go back. My first thought was great I can go back to Volcano Bay. IFyou get a yen for Disney just go to Disney Springs, Its not that far

Last edited:
I absolutely love Universal, and would recommend it over Disney to nearly everyone, except people with very young children. Nothing beats the character interactions at that age and Universal doesn't even compare in this regard. Stay in the Disney bubble for the whole trip and don't let G+ or LL get in the way of making memories with your young kids.

Then in a couple of years, if you decide you want to "switch" to Universal like my family, it will be right there waiting for you.
I would recommend Disney to people who are multi millionaires or billionaires.

For everyone else, Disney is just 12 hours of standing in line, waking up at 6 am in the morning to take a Genie Exam and throwing away your money to Disney.
For everyone else I would recommended Universal.

Our interactions at Universal were better than any we have had at Disney. Top marks to the Transformers, Stan at the Knight Bus and Doc Brown! Some little ones are afraid of characters so I have mixed feelings about their value too. Thankfully we all have great choices available!

I would recommend Disney to people who are multi millionaires or billionaires.

For everyone else, Disney is just 12 hours of standing in line, waking up at 6 am in the morning to take a Genie Exam and throwing away your money to Disney.
For everyone else I would recommended Universal.
Best description Ever !

I think your family could enjoy UO, but I think the kids will probably enjoy Legoland even more. After visiting both UO and Legoland with both a “little” kid and “bigger” kids, the advantages of Legoland were clear. Near every height restricted ride there is either a playground or a kiddie ride. It will be so easy for your older kid to go on something a little more adventurous while your younger child has something fun to do as well. UO has a kid area in each park, which sounds like a good idea, but means that a lot of the rest of the park isn’t very interesting to smaller kids. The play areas are well done, and if your three year old likes playgrounds, you shouldn’t have trouble keeping him/her entertained. You will have to split up a lot though.

THere is a building there when the kids can run around, gather, and shoot foam balls, and all of that. Also in the that area, there were several water play spots, and there were several splash areas in IoA.
It really is a lovely area, have been exiled here for half days at a time watching the youngins while the mr romped on the coasters with the big kids. No complaints, been there, done that; glad to have everyone happy.

however, had a couple of near-cardiac moments when ‘losing’ said kids in the ball pit area if only for a few minutes. Multiple floors & entrances along with so many people, etc. it was quite daunting to have eyes on them within my comfort zone at times.
I would recommend Disney to people who are multi millionaires or billionaires
Lol, you indeed have to ‘work’ for it at WDW. Realize this is the U boards but, feel compelled to chime in.

100% recommend than anyone planning on visiting WDW nweds to realize it’s a new animal. Have to do a lot of research & plan well ahead of time (or have deep enough pockets to spend big bucks on a private tour).

If you aren’t hardwired that way and not interesting into attacking it like a true commando, stay far away…please. the rest of us romping at WDW will thank you for not clogging up the parks lol

U is absolutely perfection for those who just want to show up and relax. That’s why we tend to schedule the U portions of our split trip last, when we can just laze poolside like lizards & mosey on over to parks in the late afternoon & know we will still get everything ‘done’. :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter