Possible Cancelation/Terminally ill family member

poohgirl100

Earning My Ears
We have a family vacation planned for over year now to go to OKW and VB for two weeks. In less than 1 week we are suppose to leave, sadly my mother-in-law is terminally ill with cancer and we are taking day by day. My husband still wants to go at the wishes of his mother. I did not know about this when I made my ressies 11 months out in fact this is rather sudden for the whole family. Putting that aside, I called MS today to find out my options. Well first of all the MS person I got was sorta a stick in the mud when it came to personalities. But I asked her for some direction on what would happen if I had to cancel before I leave or if I had to cut my vacation short to head home.

Since I have never had to cancel a ressie before, I really did not know my options. I asked her if there was a one time only "exception" that can be made if I would have to head home so I would not loose my points for the remainder of my stay and she said NO. The only one time only exceptions that are made are regarding forgetting to bank points, using the points before the holding points etc. There is nothing to help me if I have to come home early. Does anyone know if this is correct? If it is than I guess I will have to live with it, but I just thought that check with my fellow DVCs.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Don't know the answer to your questions, but I do want to extend my sympathies to you and your family. Best wishes, Carol

I think the best thing to do would be to call Member Service and just be honest with them and see what the options are. I hope things work out for you and your family.

Pooh,

I'd call your Guide and see if they cannot intervene. At the very least they should bank the points that you do not use for the days you don't use.

I cannot believe they would be insensitive about a situation such as this.

Brian

I was in this same situation last year. My father was critical and we just couldn't take the chance of leaving. I cancelled just one day before our checkin. The points were lost. We are from Daytona, and it was only for a couple of days which may have colored their decision, being a smaller loss. At the time I had other things on which to focus so I didn't try a physician's letter, that might make a difference. I hope they are more lenient with you. I also wish you all well.

I'm sorry for your situation. Last fall my mother was having serious medical problems and didn't know if we would be able to go on our December trip. I remember watching the calendar and agonizing over cancellation deadlines. Not only was there the 30 day deadline, but my 100% banking deadline was Sept 30, so if we cancelled after that I would have had some points I couldn't bank. I wasn't positive we were going until a week before. Luckily it all worked out and we went.

According to the DVC rules, the total points are considered used once you check-in. But I have heard they make exceptions. I think I remember someone posting on the AOL board that they had to leave early for a family emergency and they were able to get their remaining points put into holding. Member Services CM's "go by the book" so they are probably not in a position to say an exception could be made. It would be up to a manager to make an exception.

Take Care.

I was in this same situation last year. My father was critical and we just couldn't take the chance of leaving. I cancelled just one day before our checkin. The points were lost.

If you cancelled the day before, why didn't they put them into holding?

We had to leave HH early 2 years ago since my father was terminal. I knew the policy, but shared my situation with the manager at the resort. Since we had checked in and stayed some of our reservation, the points had already been considered used. We were able to return home to be with him before he expired.

If at all possible, don't check-in if there is a chance you won't be able to complete your stay. The policy is sound and fair and doesn't depend on the sympathy of different CM's and the believability of the situation.

If you cancel the day prior to check-in, you may be able to use the one-time-double secret-special-exception and salvage your points.

My thoughts are with your family, I understand what you are going thru.

My thoughts and prayers are also with you and your family. We are in a similar situation now too. My FIL was diagnosed in June with metastatic kidney cancer and is currently undergoing treatment but seems to be getting weaker and weaker. His doctor will not give us any type of prognosis just says everyone is different and kidney cancer is very unpredictable.

Anyway my DH and I decided to go ahead with our plans to go to BCV for 4 nights in November. Our use year is Feb. so I banked all of our points except for the 48 we needed in November. I checked the cancellation policies and as long as we cancel at least one day prior to arrival, our points will go into a holding account that we must use before January 31st. However, according to page 32 of our guidebook, "they can be used for an exchange through the Disney Collection, Concierge Collection, Adventurer Collection, and World Passport Collection, if you are making the reservation 60 days or less before the new arrival date, but more than 60 days before the end of your Use Year" or "for a new DVC Resort reservation that is booked 60 days or less before the new arrival date, during your current Use Year." So we figure if we have to cancel, we can use them at a DVC resort in early January or at the Big Cedar Lodge at Branson, MO which is only about 3 hours from where we live.

Maybe you can also make some alternate plans if you need to cancel. I agree with a previous post that I wouldn't go if I thought I would have to come back early.

Good luck!

Donna

poohgirl100,
I am so sorry to hear about your Mother-in-law's illness. I was wondering, is there an option to buy trip cancellation insurance?

-DC :)

I also want to say I'm sorry. I lost my MIL to cancer 19 years ago.

In '95, we were eagerly awaiting the start of our long anticipated Christmas/NYE trip. Sadly, my Dad died suddenly over Thanksgiving.

We wrestled with whether we should go on our WDW trip or not. My Mom insisted that we go ahead with it. It was bittersweet, but, seeing the children happy again made us realize it was the right decision.

There are no easy answers to your situation. I'll remember your family in my prayers.

If you can't get anywhere with MS and you want to cancel you might try the rent board. Someone already planning to go to Disney (assuming they are within their cancellatiion period) may be willing to buy/rent your reservation.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words and recommendations. Your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated. I guess you never realize how many other people have been in the same situation as you are until you open yourself up for support.

My husband spoke to his mother tonight and they both said what was needed to me said before we left. I am not saying I am not still leery about going but at least I know my husband has made peace with his mom now instead of getting the news down there and wishing that he had said all those things before we left.

Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter