Positive experience with borrowed points

Pluto80

DIS Veteran
We have our big summer trip coming up at the end of July. It’s made up of a 4 night stay at Copper Creek, the Hilton Head, then two reservations at OKW. Our final reservation was booked on borrowed points.

Anyway, we knew DVC were returning borrowed points to their original use year for stays that have been affected by the closure, but we didn’t know if they’d do it for future stays as well. So we got onto the online chat to see what was happening if we wanted to cancel. They said they’re currently allowing all borrowed points to go back into the original use year, regardless of when your stay is. Since we weren’t sure if that offer would be rescinded, we jumped on it! They said it could take up to 15 days, but they actually appeared back in the original use year within a few minutes. Some may say we should have just waited, but to be honest, their policy of doing this could change at any time, so we thought it best just to go ahead and get it done. If the trip does go ahead after all, we’ll just book a hotel somewhere with cash for those last few days.

As far as the rest of the trip goes, we’ve no idea what we’ll do yet. Coming from the UK we have international flights to think about too. I think we’ll just see what happens as we near that 30 day cancellation window, which will be towards the end of June. A lot can happen by then.

This may all be old news to some of you, but I thought I’d share our experience as it was very positive, and it might help someone who was wondering a similar thing.

Take care, and stay safe everyone.

Thanks for the info. I’m in a similar situation. Had a May 30-June 6 reservation, which I moved to August, which now includes 2 bedrooms at boulder ridge and Hilton head. Using a lot of 2021 points. I don’t think it’s going to happen and we really don’t want to be in the chaos of partial parks, partial attractions. We are giving it 1 month more to decide. I hope I can unborrow my 300 points and make a new reservation for next summer.

I had been thinking of going with the family in December or January. I was going to use my banked 2019, current 2020 and borrow all 2021 (June UY). Now, I'm not sure if I should make that reservation at all until things are more certain. I don't want to loose the points I haven't borrowed and, if need be, I will try to figure out some sort of trip by next May 31 that uses only my 2019 and some 2020 (that I can still bank). So many things remain uncertain. :(

Glad you got your points returned! Hope you are able to have a magical trip!

I had a June 16-21 trip that I decided today to cancel. I'm in a risk category, and I can't imagine that parks, restaurants, pools, etc. will be up an running (and safe) by mid-June. The ressie was 260 points, of which 247 were borrowed, which, as it turns out, was a good thing. DVC is returning those points to next year. The other 13 points are 2019 points, and it's too late to bank them as they have an August use year. So at the end of the day, I lose 13 points, which I can live with. I suppose I could have waited to see if the reservation was cancelled, in which case I might have been able to bank the points, but for piece of mind it was better to cancel it now.

I had a June 16-21 trip that I decided today to cancel. I'm in a risk category, and I can't imagine that parks, restaurants, pools, etc. will be up an running (and safe) by mid-June. The ressie was 260 points, of which 247 were borrowed, which, as it turns out, was a good thing. DVC is returning those points to next year. The other 13 points are 2019 points, and it's too late to bank them as they have an August use year. So at the end of the day, I lose 13 points, which I can live with. I suppose I could have waited to see if the reservation was cancelled, in which case I might have been able to bank the points, but for piece of mind it was better to cancel it now.
I'm thinking you made a very wise choice.

Thanks for this....

My family and I are not really in an at risk category, and our for fun trip bookended a cruise. We might postpone the cruise portion anyway because the family members going with us are at a greater risk. Therefore I wouldn’t need my onsite studio reservations for late August, early September...

My 132 points are 100% borrowed and I would be extremely happy to be able to use them through 2/28/2022 since I have a March use year.

I successfully canceled a Fall reservation as we are just going to wait until next spring, and through chat on DVC site they assured me my borrowed points would move back into next year. They did say it would take up to 15 days (it’s been a week and they still haven’t moved back yet) yet so I’m keeping my eye on it.

I successfully canceled a Fall reservation as we are just going to wait until next spring, and through chat on DVC site they assured me my borrowed points would move back into next year. They did say it would take up to 15 days (it’s been a week and they still haven’t moved back yet) yet so I’m keeping my eye on it.
We were surprised ours were put back within a few minutes!

I have an October trip booked for a long weekend at Kidani on borrowed points. I’d be happy with a resort only stay if the parks are not open. I’m just starting to get a little nervous the resorts won’t open and that they may change their current policy on putting borrowed points back to the original use year. I’m thinking of waiting until June 1 to decide as hopefully we know a little more by then.

I just cancelled a 2 week August trip and just 2 waiting for my borrowed points to be returned to my Dec 2020 use year. i cancelled online but also chatted with a rep about it and they said 15 business days for points to be returned if borrowed but if you need right away to make a reservation then they can help expedite it.

I had a similar situation for 2 stays during Easter week. The reservations were canceled by Disney and the borrowed points originally went back to the current use year. So I went on the DVC site and through the chat it was explained to me that it might take 15 days to move back to the borrowed year but the cast member moved them back immediately. It took less than 5 minutes.

I had a similar situation for 2 stays during Easter week. The reservations were canceled by Disney and the borrowed points originally went back to the current use year. So I went on the DVC site and through the chat it was explained to me that it might take 15 days to move back to the borrowed year but the cast member moved them back immediately. It took less than 5 minutes.

Thank you, I think I’m on day 10 and would like to start making some reservations so maybe I’ll try the chat again!

Please be kind and realize that rules are being broken to return those borrowed points. A little sensitivity is called for as many of us with JUN and APR UYs are not being allowed to bank our points while they gladly give all of yours back. We are losing ours. Soon. Please stop reminding us. They broke the rules for you. They won't for us (magnitudes less points, mind you). There are people losing points here that don't think it's fair. No need to pour salt in the wound.

Please be kind and realize that rules are being broken to return those borrowed points. A little sensitivity is called for as many of us with JUN and APR UYs are not being allowed to bank our points while they gladly give all of yours back. We are losing ours. Soon. Please stop reminding us. They broke the rules for you. They won't for us (magnitudes less points, mind you). There are people losing points here that don't think it's fair. No need to pour salt in the wound.

Please be kind and realize that we all have the right to share our experiences here, including their positive ones in this difficult time,

Rules have been changed, yes, but they are not broken as DVCM has the ability to change them at any time, which they have chosen to do,

Unfair? Maybe.

Last edited:

Sorry for your situation, and just to be clear, I am also losing points (87 that were banked). Difficult situations for most DVC members I expect 😕

Sharing my experience. I had a reservation for this October on 2021 borrowed points and I called member services and they allowed me to cancel and returned borrowed points back into 2021 UY. Took one day for my dashboard to reflect that borrowed points were returned.

Sharing my experience. I had a reservation for this October on 2021 borrowed points and I called member services and they allowed me to cancel and returned borrowed points back into 2021 UY. Took one day for my dashboard to reflect that borrowed points were returned.

I waited 10 days, and when my points still haven’t been restored I chatted yesterday with DVC online. They did agree to go ahead and move them right there and then (rather than wait out the 15 days) as long as they had proof that I was working on reservations for next year which I had already started to book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!