Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part Two [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that the hair dryers are not good so it's best to bring your own. Did you find this to be the case?

I think it depends on your hair. I have short hair so they work fine for me, but I could see how someone with long and/or thick hair might need more power.

Yes, there are ironing boards and an iron in each room. :thumbsup2

I'm doing the last minute packing and I'm soooo excited I can hardly stand it. Can't wait for our 3rd stay at Riverside. ;)
Staying at the airport tomorrow night for our early Monday morning flight!!!

Carla

Thank you and have fun!
We are leaving in 24 days for our first Riverside trip--actually the first Disney trip for our 5 youngest--and they don't know yet so I'm getting soooo excited and can't even talk about it!

I see on the layouts that there are hair dryers in the rooms. Are there clothes irons as well?

Yup. On the same layout in post #4 where you saw the hair dryers, the label "Iron & Ironing Board" points to them, hung on the wall under the clothes rail & shelf.

Andre

mrsatc said:
5 days until we leave on vacation, 8 days til we check into POR for the first time!!! So excited! I'm getting my fax ready to send off on Tuesday!!

Question: we have paid for a garden view, but I really don't want the hassle of a Murphy bed in the room (we have an 8yo and an 18month old), is this something I can put in my fax or is it something I should call Disney and ask to have noted?

Thanks!
Kathy

Request the mansions.

My concern with the Murphy bed is my 18 month old pulling it down on himself! Lol, just a fear I can see happening.

If I request a mansion is that going to cost me more at check in or are there regular garden rooms there as well as royal rooms? I'd love an upgrade, but sure cant afford it! :)

Yup. On the same layout in post #4 where you saw the hair dryers, the label "Iron & Ironing Board" points to them, hung on the wall under the clothes rail & shelf.

Andre

Thanks! I see that now---missed it the first time!

Check out the room diagram on post #4.

I see the diagram. But I don't see dimensions. Am I missing something?
I wonder is the Murphy bed a full single? 4 feet or five feet long? Anyone know?

Siskaren thanks for the diagram, looking for measurements.

I see the diagram. But I don't see dimensions. Am I missing something?
I wonder is the Murphy bed a full single? 4 feet or five feet long? Anyone know?

Siskaren thanks for the diagram, looking for measurements.

Per the info on post #4 :

Murphy Bed is 63 x 30 .

If you go to post #4 , look for the picture of the Murphy bed with the alligator picture. Under that is a diagram of the room. In that diagram where the Murphy bed is , there is the measurement of the bed.
Hope that helps find it. Have a fun trip!

Just got back from an 8 day stay at Riverside last week and loved it. Although since we had my 5 year old daughter and 1 year old son, I wish we had stayed closer to the main building (we were in building 28, which felt like about of a haul).

About the pull down beds possibly falling open on a child...they open very slowly to avoid that very issue. We had zero issues with those beds. In fact, my daughter thought it was awesome.

My concern with the Murphy bed is my 18 month old pulling it down on himself! Lol, just a fear I can see happening.

If I request a mansion is that going to cost me more at check in or are there regular garden rooms there as well as royal rooms? I'd love an upgrade, but sure cant afford it! :)

Looking at the picture in post #4 it looks like there's locks on the part that pulls down plus he'd have to climb on the bench just to reach it, but I know that you can't discount the ingenuity of a toddler when they want to get to something that's out of reach. ;) However, not all of the mansion rooms are royal rooms (half are, half aren't), so you wouldn't have to get a royal room in order to not have a bayou room.

mrsatc said:

You have booked a garden room; they are located in both AB and mansions. You can request one or the other, but a request is just a request.

RR's are a booking category and only in the mansions, so you have to book it in order to get it.

If you look on the map on page 1, you will see there are quite a few rooms in Acadian House and Magnolia Terrace with garden view rooms without having to book a RR.

Hope that helps.

Hi, just wanted to say hello - been lurking for ages not sure how to post, so hopefully I have done it correctly!
Coming back to POR in November - can't wait. Hello to everyone on this great forum. Andre you are doing a great job. Fellow UK disneyholic here from Surrey.

Only staying one night Sun June 2, what will the movie be that night (where exactly is the movie, do we need to bring a towel to sit on or is there seating)? Also is there a campfire for smores that night and where can I get the smores kit? tia

tink20 said:
Only staying one night Sun June 2, what will the movie be that night (where exactly is the movie, do we need to bring a towel to sit on or is there seating)? Also is there a campfire for smores that night and where can I get the smores kit? tia

The activity schedule including the movie listing is in your packet.

There is no seating, bring a towel to sit on.

There is a campfire, weather-permitting (same as the movies) and you can buy the kit there when you arrive.

Just wanted to say thank you again to everyone on here. I am more than happy to try and answer any questions. It has been crazy here since we got home with my daughter turning 4, a spring concert etc.

We traveled with 2 girls one of whom turned 4 on the 23rd and the other who will be celebrating her 6th birthday shortly. We booked royal garden view rooms.

We were at POR from 5/13-5/20. We faxed our room requests about 6 days before. We wanted connecting rooms, upper floor and close to the main building. We received an email shortly after saying we got connecting 2nd floor room relatively close.

Magical express was great. We were the last stop. They only had one family each at the other 2 resorts. We had done online check in. We arrived around 11. The cast member we worked with told us we could not find out the building or room number that it was resort policy to not tell you where you woukd be. In fact when we received our text we wouldn't know which room belonged to whom until we tried our cards. This was the only strange cast member we encountered. Very unfriendly, curt and did not want to answer questions we had. We were told not to expect our rooms until between 3 and 5, closer to 4 or 5.

We picked up the stroller we rented from baby wheels and off we went to the MK. We grabbed lunch at Be Our Guest and rode some rides. Around 530 or 6 we still heard nothing so we were tired and went back to the resort. We were told they were very sorry but our text was never turned on. We were told another day that there was a glitch in the system and about half the people checking in the 13th were not texted.

We could not have been more pleased with the location or the rooms. We were in Oak 9270 and my parents in 9269. These were the end 2 rooms that face the courtyard but you basically have a gorgeous river view as well as a lovely courtyard and fountain. Very easy walk to the foot bridge to go to the food court, as well as a short walk to the pool foot bridge. My girls loved the princess rooms. We did not tell them we had them so they were so surprised. I do wish the headboards went off for longer than about 30-60 seconds so you don't have to keep pushing the buttons. The rooms were fun, but my dad and DH agreed they were not too girly and they enjoyed them as well.

It was a short walk as well to the mansion bus stop. We had a car (parents rented a minivan). We drive to EPCOT, HS, and AK. We took the bus to the MK. I have to say we did not intend to get a car, but my parents at the last minute worried about the bus. The first day we went from the south stop since we didn't have our room yet. It was fine, but very crowded around 1145 or 12. Standing room only, but it came quickily. The other 3 times we went to the MK we took the bus from the mansion stop. This was perfect. Almost no one getting on, empty buses, showed up within 5 mins of arriving at the stop. One morning I thought we would miss it but the driver waited for us! Our last night coming home I would say we were lucky but there were many very very angry people. They extended the POR line so while we were stop 5 they ran the ropes all the way past lane 3. We got to the bus around 1040. To be told by others there had been more than 4 PORFQ buses in the past 45 mins people were in line with only 1-2 families getting on but in 45-50 not one por bus. Eventually one of the CMs in uniform with a vest come around to tell everyone to pack in bc we were over spilling the rope area. Some in the front of the line asked where the bus was bc 4 fq ones had come and gone. The CM said buses run every 20 mins all day including
after fireworks. That POR was farther away so we should expect they might be closer to 30 mins apart, and he left, after saying it would be a while bc the line was about 3 buses in length. About 5 mins later 2 arrived at once. Everyone pushed but we made the end of the second bus. Someone gave me a seat since I had 2 sleeping ones. I noticed there was still a very long line whenwe left. I thought it was interesting that it seemed that por was the only stop that they had roped off to encompass 2 lines. Por was the only resort with long lines. Buses were coming quickly and frequently for other resorts. We were lucky but not sure if that is typical for an 11 pm closing on emh night or just special circumstances. Every other time the bus pulled up as we walked to the line or right after we got in line.

The pool was fabulous! We rented swimvests for the week. We lucked out again bc we got the last vests in our size and they had to dig for them. The girls loved the slide and we had trouble getting them to leave the pool. It was crowded but not uncomfortable so. Unfortunately despite giving my daughter her normal allergy meds she had a reaction to the pool chemicals so she only swam 2 days. My younger one got a quick dip in the quiet pool which she seemed toalso enjoy.

My parents took the girls one night for a carriage ride. I believe they went to fq. They loved it! Dh and I grabbed a quick drink to hear yee haw Bob who was lots of fun. The girls watched for one song and were up dancing. Would love to try and see him on another trip.

Foodcourt was easy, and much better than we expected. They made an allergy pizza for my DD a few times which she loved. We ended up eating here more than we expected. The cms there were very nice and friendly.

One thing to note...our room overlooked the movie courtyard. I understand many will not be in their rooms at movie time. But if you have small kids and they go down early you might want to consider another location. The nights the muppets and brave played it was so loud we could not only hear every word but the growling and roars sounded like we had our tv on loud. It didn't bother us, but it might be something a light sleeper might be annoyed by.

We did have one major glitch. For some reason my card was in the computer as a magic band. For the 1st two days I had trouble entering the park (they had to hand swipe my card), was told at the resort there was nothing wrong with my card, but the next day I had trouble at the turnstiles at the MK, then I couldn't get any fastpasses. It took a while before a cm finally gave me a card I could use in my key cards place. Went back to the desk after I was told my pin was not working. The 3 cms told me I was coming up as a magic band and they fixed it for me. I should note the other 3 people in our room and my parents cards all worked fine. Over to EPCOT for dinner. Same problem. I was sent to guest services bc the CM said if her fix didn't work go there. Well 2 cms and a manager later were stumped bc apparentely it also said I had more than one set of tickets, and a magic band. They suggested I go back to the resort to get it fixed bc they had no idea how to fix it. Back to the hotel and 1.5 hours later we had to have our reservation cancelled, rebooked and new cards issued. There were other glitches bc my charges were showing up on my fathrs account, and some of his on his and some on mine. I can't say enough about how amazing each CM was. The manager and everyone bent over backwards to make it as smooth and as painless as possible. The manager said this was only the 2nd time she had seen anything like this before and it was a mess. I understand there are lots of glitches going on.

The resort was very peaceful, and I understand why everyone loves it!! For those who care we saw tons of cute lizards, lots of bunnies, and thanfully no snakes.

I read that the hair dryers are not good so it's best to bring your own. Did you find this to be the case?

I brought my own but the one there was fine so I never unpacked mine. If you have a special dryer or really thick hair bring yours but it was fine for the week.

There was a cm with a towel cart at the movies. They were handing them out. Some people had their own. It was only grass seating.

Sorry, wrong thread. We'll be staying at the POR FQ. I found that thread. Thanks.

The only thing you can do is request to be in the mansions. All the Alligator Bayou rooms have the Murphy beds and it's not like they can be removed.

I'm not sure I understand what the hassle would be, though. They take up just a little more floor space when they're open.

We were in a preferred room in AB and did not have a Murphy bed. We were in preferred building 18. We just had 2 queen beds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter