Port Orleans Riverside Q&A Thread 2013, Part One [Thread now FULL and closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't ever feel bad about your feelings about a particular resort, good or bad.

I stayed at SSR a few years ago, on the 4/3 deal, it was my least favorite place to stay so far. I thought, hey, it is a deluxe, we have a balcony view above the lake, we have a kitchenette to make breakfast every morning, it has a great restaurant, it is just a hop, skip and a jump from DTD which I love.

But twice I went down to POR and almost cried that I didn't stay there.

I did not like the food court at all. I did not like the bus loop and having to share buses our stop with THV. The resort just seemed so huge to me. The pool just seemed to always be so crowded. Most of all, we seemed to have less space with three people, then I did with four people in a standard room at POR. I got so tired of finding places to stash all the pillows from the sofa bed, the cocktail table had to go in front of the sliding glass door and you had to climb over it to get out, and there seemed to be so little storage space.

You will see people who rave about, but alas, it was a good experience, but just not for me.

We always request the 2nd floor, at CBR and POR, for 3 reasons. No chance of hearing anyone running or jumping above us. For my wife's sake, less chance of a snake following us into the room.:scared1: Most people request 1st floor which might up our chances of getting our location requests met since we also request 2nd floor.

This is pretty much the reasons I like higher floors especially the snake part! I've been to Florida twice and never realised there were snakes until I read something here. :scared:

Anyway I have 120 days (82 work days!) to go and super happy because I started buying summer clothes :goodvibes

We are travelling with a 7 year old boy who has accumulated quite a few gift cards to bring for his spending money. Can he have charging priviledges set up on his room key/park pass? I was telling my friend (the mom) how i was going to have all my gift cards applied to my room charge as a credit balance when we check in so i dont have to carry them all around and she thought that was a great idea to do for him too. Not on her card but on his. He's very excited about having his own spending money to bring :)

I just for some reason thought children couldn't have charging priviledges. Am I right or wrong?

We are travelling with a 7 year old boy who has accumulated quite a few gift cards to bring for his spending money. Can he have charging priviledges set up on his room key/park pass? I was telling my friend (the mom) how i was going to have all my gift cards applied to my room charge as a credit balance when we check in so i dont have to carry them all around and she thought that was a great idea to do for him too. Not on her card but on his. He's very excited about having his own spending money to bring :)

I just for some reason thought children couldn't have charging priviledges. Am I right or wrong?

Children can have charging privileges but the charges all go on the account of the person whose name the reservation is in.

My girls all had charging privileges, my youngest being 11. We charged everything to the room and I kept track of how much they spent. Halfway thru the week I went to the front desk with their gift cards and paid off what they had spent so far. Anything your son charges will go on the rooms account, he won't have his own.

Hi oh wise POR people! I am researching a trip for DH and I to go for my 30th birthday in April. This will be our first moderate resort and I finally landed on POR after weeks of research on pretty much all the resorts.

We are planning on renting a car, but I still have a question on location...I really like the Mansions section based on appearance, but I'm concerned on distance to the main building (to refill mugs and get breakfast, etc). Any guestimate of how long of a walk it is? What is the best of the mansions building?

Outside of that, I don't mind location since we'll be driving to parks.

Thanks for the help!!!

Hi oh wise POR people! I am researching a trip for DH and I to go for my 30th birthday in April. This will be our first moderate resort and I finally landed on POR after weeks of research on pretty much all the resorts.

We are planning on renting a car, but I still have a question on location...I really like the Mansions section based on appearance, but I'm concerned on distance to the main building (to refill mugs and get breakfast, etc). Any guestimate of how long of a walk it is? What is the best of the mansions building?

Thanks for the help!!!

I stayed in Magnolia Terrace. It's right next to the footbridge to the main pool and then past it is the main building. It's a 5-10 minute walk depending on how quickly you walk and the location of your room in that particular building.

I stayed in Magnolia Terrace. It's right next to the footbridge to the main pool and then past it is the main building. It's a 5-10 minute walk depending on how quickly you walk and the location of your room in that particular building.

CareHeartsDisney - thanks for that info. DH & I have been staying in the AB preferred rooms but have been talking about a riverview room in Magnolia Terrace to see the difference. We know the movies play on that side of the river by the mansions so that is intriguing too even though we are past the age of kids..........LOL!! :thumbsup2

CareHeartsDisney - thanks for that info. DH & I have been staying in the AB preferred rooms but have been talking about a riverview room in Magnolia Terrace to see the difference. We know the movies play on that side of the river by the mansions so that is intriguing too even though we are past the age of kids..........LOL!! :thumbsup2

You're welcome! My kids have stayed at POR, Poly, AoA (in a Cars suite) and at CSR. Their favorite resort was Poly followed by POR, AoA and CSR. We all loved POR and it was a ton less expensive than the Poly!

melissafox18 said:

Thanks for the help!!!

I was in a standard room facing the parking lot in Acadian House and walking with a toddler every morning, it never took longer than eight minutes.

I really like the Mansions section based on appearance, but I'm concerned on distance to the main building (to refill mugs and get breakfast, etc). Any guestimate of how long of a walk it is? What is the best of the mansions building?

I'd suggest Magnolia Terrace in broad terms, but some of the Acadian House rooms can be closer. It's often better to request WHAT you want (e.g. something like "mansion building, with close access for the food court") rather than asking for a specific building.

As for distances, I did the math on this subject recently [see guys, I'm learning to speak American!] and the results can be seen at www.portorleans.org/faqs.php#Size. Basically it's between 250 yards and about 500 yards from any mansion building room to the food court door.

Andre

As for distances, I did the math on this subject recently [see guys, I'm learning to speak American!] and the results can be seen at www.portorleans.org/faqs.php#Size. Basically it's between 250 yards and about 500 yards from any mansion building room to the food court door.

Andre

LOL, Andre, how would you have said this in British? Inquiring minds want to know ;)

klwdisney said:

I have to laugh, but I just had a picture of him holding up his RFID bracelet at MouseGear and say, "Charge it!"

Question I've always been curious about, Andre....you live in the UK but work at POR? Or am I incorrect about working at POR?

I just saw that a preferred room was available for my dates so I called and changed my ressie :) I swear there wasn't any listed when I checked a couple days ago. Now I am at peace.

I just saw that a preferred room was available for my dates so I called and changed my ressie :) I swear there wasn't any listed when I checked a couple days ago. Now I am at peace.
:cool1: i keep checking online because i really would like a preferred room also but no such luck yet. I'm glad you got one though :yay:

ALD85 said:
Question I've always been curious about, Andre....you live in the UK but work at POR? Or am I incorrect about working at POR?

As far as I know Andre doesn't work for the Mouse he is just a huge fan of POR/POFQ.

:cool1: i keep checking online because i really would like a preferred room also but no such luck yet. I'm glad you got one though :yay:

Good luck! I hope you get it. I would think some stuff opened up today with 7 day holds not getting deposits with TAs.

:)I understand that Disney only owes me a room. I understand nothing is guaranteed. But being told by the CM that they don't offer Royal connecting rooms and people are getting them is nice for people to know. I know people can request the bldg they would like and knowing the room numbers will help me in determining if one bldg has them and one does not.

We were in Royal Room 9210 a few weeks ago, and it was a connecting room. Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter